cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Formula DOES work with Windows 8 and 8.1

ffiibb
Level 7
Hi guys
Today I desided that it was time to clean up my pc and get RAID and so on set up properly...
To do the clean install i got Windows 8.1 Pro and got it installing. After I was done installing, I went to get the drivers and noticed that most of the drivers weren't there for Windows 8 and 8.1. I frantically started searching for a solution (wouldn't want to be sitting at a pc with a OS that I just bought and not even have internet drivers...), sadly I found no solution and desided nothing could go wrong by trying to find the drivers elsewhere. No luck. After searching a couple of hours, I ended up where I started.

So with noting to lose I looked into the support for the Crosshair V Formula-Z to see if some of those drivers would work. Then I noticed that most of the drivers came in a package that works for both Windows 7 and 8. Curiously I began checking the same for the few updated drivers at the Crosshair V Formula. Here the story was the same. I began wondering if the Windows 7 drivers would work for Windows 8 AND THEY DO! Just by using the "setup" instead of "asus setup" they all installed like they should. The only drivers that I couldn't get to work were the Thunderbolt LAN/Audio Card ones.

All in all, to those who might be thinking that they are tied to Windows 7, you aren't!

Just start by downloading all the Windows 8 drivers and then the ones missing, can just be downloaded for Windows 7.

Hope this helps someone out there! Feel free to leave a comment, this is my first article.
13 REPLIES 13

HiVizMan
Level 40
Cheers for the report back on what you have found. You are quite correct, most Win7 drivers will work quite happily on Win8 and that is how many laptop ornotebook users are able to upgrade to the newer OS.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Detection
Level 10
I have the Crosshair V Formula / Win 8 / Win 8.1 and have all drivers working fine without resorting to using the Z version drivers

Not sure where you went wrong, but there is no need to do that 🙂

In fact, the LAN drivers install fine with the Windows 8.1 installation only, as do the majority of the rest
MOBO - Crosshair V Formula
CPU - AMD FX-8350 @ 4.8GHz
COOLER - Corsair H100i / MX-4
RAM - 12GB G.Skill RIPJAWS X @ 2133MHz
GPU - XFX R9 295X2 8GB
HDD - 2TB Seagate
PSU - Corsair TX950W
CASE - Coolermaster HAF 922
OS - Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit

chrsplmr
Level 18
Generally, CrossHair V Formula Z drivers should not be used on a CrossHair V Formula as these are two entirely different boards. .c.

Pam_Wolf
Level 7
Please, I need help!

Hi guys, I'm Pamela from Ecuador, my english is not excellent, but I'll do my best to explain what is the issue do i need to be helped.

I'm not an expert, but i love to build my own PC's, and finally i built "My Dreammy One". This is "My Baby":

MAINBOARD - Crosshair V Formula
CPU - AMD FX-8150 @ 3.6GHz
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 @ 1600MHz
GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti Superclocked 2048MB
HDD - 1 HDD 1TB and other of 3TB, Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM both
PSU - XFX PRO850W Core Edition
CASE - Raidmax Smilodon 612W
OS - Windows 8 Pro 64bit. <- AND HERE IS "THE ISSUE"!!!

I installed it 3 days ago, and is running, until now, very well. BUT, today, when tried to install the support DVD, THIS DON'T RUN IN WINDOWS 8 :(!
So what to do :confused:? I mean, searching for answers, there's a lot, and i don't know what to choose or do. I think that i got to download a support cd or dvd for windows 8 in a pendrive ('cause i don't have my new PC with internet until to install it a good antivirus. I'm navigating in my good old PC for now). Please guide me to do it right and not mess it up!

I'm very thankfull for the info and help that you'll give to me.

See ya!

HiVizMan
Level 40
Download the stuff you need from the motherboard support page. I have not used the DVD that comes with any motherboard in like 10 years. The drivers and utilities on the web support page are up to date.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Pam_Wolf
Level 7
For real!? Wow, that's new for me (not to use the DVD drivers that comes with the mainboard). Now my question is If installing those downloaded drivers, does it could affect my BIOS? I'm asking this 'cause i never did it (download the drivers and install'em) and i don't want to damage something.

Thank you very much for your patience and your guidance :o. Helps me a lot :).

darkage
Level 11
don't worry, as long as you download the drivers from the asus website and from the right page there is no problem using them
here you go
http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/CROSSHAIR_V_FORMULA/HelpDesk_Download/
a i also have a CHVF and i will never sell this board and my 8320 🙂

jasonamd95
Level 7
Windows 8 and 8.1 have most, if not all, of the drivers built in and are more current than the ones Asus has available.

You can get AMD chipset drivers here:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows+8+-+64

You can find more current Asmedia drivers for SATA and USB3 here:
http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/downloads/Drivers/Asmedia/Chipsets/ASM-1041-1042-107x-USB3-...
http://station-drivers.com/index.php/downloads/Drivers/Asmedia/Chipsets/ASM-106x-Sata-6G-Controller/...

Pam_Wolf
Level 7
Thank you darkage and jasonamd95, right now i´m gonna download the drivers on the sites you recommend me. Wish me luck ;)! I´ll post the result to help "another needed soul" 😮