cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adding a second SSD?

Heini
Level 11
I have a second Samsung 840 Pro 256GB that's not being used. Would I get any real benefit from adding it to the system and moving everything except the OS to it? I still have 153GB free on the installed 256GB that's in the machine now.
4 REPLIES 4

billyray520
Level 10
A lot depends on your usage. I have 2 SSDs in both my G73's. I like SSDs in notebooks since there are no moving parts, and uses less power (not to mention speed.) In my desktop I have just one with an additional 7200 RPM hdd for my data. But that's just the way I like to organize things. I think if I had a spare 256 GB ssd I would add it to my desktop since all of my notebooks already have ssds. Another thought is to put it into a USB 3.0 enclosure and use it for an external back up drive. (I have several SSDs for that purpose too.)
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

HiVizMan
Level 40
The real benefit from having two SSDs is if you work with large files and swap files. Gamers often have on SSD for OS and another for their games.

Will just mean your games or applications will load quicker and that is win win.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

icrocodile
Level 7
yah, more budget systems have the hdd for storing data

Gorman
Level 12
Remember SSD only helps load time, do you really care if your darksouls takes 10 seconds to load instead of 30?