cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JZ - Just a simple question about Optimus

Theodore
Level 7
Hey guys,

I´m going to buy the G750JZ notebook for a three days, however im reading more and more articles about Optimus... And now i´m not so sure, if I wanna purchase it or not... So i want to ask you for something.

The Question:

When i have running application which use normally NVIDIA Graphic card for example some game like TES:Skyrim etc. And then i will switch to the desktop, so the game will be running in a background, will i still use the powerfull GPU or the Optimus will switch to the Intel GPU and my PC will start overheating because of the game/app running in the background?

Please answer me guys, you propably know more about it.
14 REPLIES 14

MegaMouseGW
Level 7
I recently bought my G750JM and not very happy with it at all. I am a gamer and for some reason the stupid thing will not allow me to run just the Nvidia GPU. It will not switch from the stupid Intel crappy unit and it makes all my games look like crap.

Theodore
Level 7
Yeah i understand, however there is a lot of tutorials how to play games with the NVIDIA GPU and i hope they will work. However the question is: When i switch from the game to the desktop ( ALT + TAB ), will it switch to the intel GPU and because of the game running in the background, will it start overheating or not?

Anyone knows?

EDIT:

I´m asking, because i have read a tons of articles where people were chatting about the Optimus and i´m a guy who use ALT+TAB a lot and i rly don´t want to overheat my system when i have running game in a background and i will be doing something on a desktop and my system become overheated because of the game running in the background on Intel GPU

theclaw37
Level 9
If it's launched on one GPU, it stays on that GPU.

Theodore
Level 7
So if i understand well... If i start a game on Nvidia GPU and then i will minimalize it so i´ll be on the desktop, i´ll be still running Nvidia GPU because of the game running in the background, do i? There will be no change frorm Nvidia GPU to Intel GPU...

Understand i well?

I´m asking because the main proces explorer.exe is working on a Intel GPU, that is the reason why i want to know if there will be GPU change or not... And what i have read there is no way how to change it to run on Nvidia GPU...

Theodore wrote:
So if i understand well... If i start a game on Nvidia GPU and then i will minimalize it so i´ll be on the desktop, i´ll be still running Nvidia GPU because of the game running in the background, do i? There will be no change frorm Nvidia GPU to Intel GPU...

Understand i well?

I´m asking because the main proces explorer.exe is working on a Intel GPU, that is the reason why i want to know if there will be GPU change or not... And what i have read there is no way how to change it to run on Nvidia GPU...

You may have to wait and try it for yourself, I have only seen a couple of people mention this, when they switch from the Game to the desktop and back their Game bogs down and runs slow. I haven't seen them around here after that...

That is not my problem...

I just want to know when i minimalize the game and then left the PC alone for a couple hours... Will the game run in a background on Nvidia GPU or it will run on Intel GPU because of the fact the game will be minimalized and i´ll be on the "desktop / screen"?

That is the question and i need to know the answer, because i dont want to overheat my system with running game in the background on Intel GPU when i leave my PC with minimalized game for some time ...

Theodore wrote:
That is not my problem...
I just want to know when i minimalize the game and then left the PC alone for a couple hours... Will the game run in a background on Nvidia GPU or it will run on Intel GPU because of the fact the game will be minimalized and i´ll be on the "desktop / screen"?
That is the question and i need to know the answer, because i dont want to overheat my system with running game in the background on Intel GPU when i leave my PC with minimalized game for some time ...

So, it's ok to keep running on the Nvidia GPU all day, burning electricity heating up your Nvidia GPU, but you don't want to have it switch to your Intel GPU and run all day on it? 🙂

How about you save your place in the game, and quit it. Because letting a game run all day in the background isn't a good idea on either GPU. It's a waste of power. Sleep your laptop if you need to walk away for a while.

hmscott wrote:
So, it's ok to keep running on the Nvidia GPU all day, burning electricity heating up your Nvidia GPU, but you don't want to have it switch to your Intel GPU and run all day on it? 🙂

How about you save your place in the game, and quit it. Because letting a game run all day in the background isn't a good idea on either GPU. It's a waste of power, sleep your laptop.

I just wanted to know if there will be switch between GPUs that is all. It was just an example for you. I was just scared of switching on/off Nvidia GPU because i rly use ALT+TAB often...

theclaw37 wrote:
Yes Theodore, the game will still run on the Nvidia GPU. As a matter of fact, you will use the Intel to render your desktop and the Nvidia will probably enter a low power state, as there will be nothing to render on screen (if it's alt-tabbed). From your Nvidia control panel, you can set an option to show a notification that when you click, will display exactly what your NV is tasked with. It looks like this: 38063 and when clicked, it will look like this: 38064.

It would also be absurd to switch GPUs while running something because in order for a program to use one it must first set up parameters, load up the VRAM etc. and switching from one GPU to another while processing has already been done on one of them would be very complicated, and sometimes even impossible due to hardware particularities.

Thank you very much for the answer! This is what i wanted to know! Thanks now can i purchase it without any qustions. Thank you.

MegaMouseGW
Level 7
I tried everything I could find to force my Nvidia GPU to play several of my games. Absolutely no luck. I am fed up gonna return the stupit thing to best buy and see if they can get me the JW one. With Optimus the G750JM is not worth it at all.