Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw37 View Post
    Yes Theodore, the game will still run on the Nvidia GPU. As a matter of fact, you will use the Intel to render your desktop and the Nvidia will probably enter a low power state, as there will be nothing to render on screen (if it's alt-tabbed). From your Nvidia control panel, you can set an option to show a notification that when you click, will display exactly what your NV is tasked with. It looks like this: Attachment 38063 and when clicked, it will look like this: Attachment 38064.

It would also be absurd to switch GPUs while running something because in order for a program to use one it must first set up parameters, load up the VRAM etc. and switching from one GPU to another while processing has already been done on one of them would be very complicated, and sometimes even impossible due to hardware particularities.

PS: There's also another option you can tick in your nvidia control panel that enables a new option when you right click any executable file: "Run with graphics processor". This is a fast way of running a program with one GPU or another without making any settings.
    It would be absurd to switch GPU's, but people have reported it as happening

They switch to the desktop, and then switch back and their FPS drops dramatically - I don't necessarily think it really switched to the other GPU, but it is acting like it because the performance drops so much - something isn't working correctly.

Also, I have Alt-Tabbed and had a Game continue to run in the background, keeping the GPU/GPU_memory at full clock speeds, so that happens even on a Non-Optimus windows laptop.

That's why I said to Theodore he is going to need to check this out himself, using his own games, as I think it is also game dependent.

Let us know how it works for you Theodore

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by hmscott View Post
    It would be absurd to switch GPU's, but people have reported it as happening

They switch to the desktop, and then switch back and their FPS drops dramatically - I don't necessarily think it really switched to the other GPU, but it is acting like it because the performance drops so much - something isn't working correctly.

Also, I have Alt-Tabbed and had a Game continue to run in the background, keeping the GPU/GPU_memory at full clock speeds, so that happens even on a Non-Optimus windows laptop.

That's why I said to Theodore he is going to need to check this out himself, using his own games, as I think it is also game dependent.

Let us know how it works for you Theodore
    I´m going to wait for GTA V. When it be released i will post some topic there and also if there be some problems with that i will write something there too... We will see...

One more, thank you guys for the answers!

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

If you alt tab, (whether optimus or not) and still have the game running, it will run the gpu it was launched on. If your on a demanding game, and minimize or close screen, or anything that has that game running in the background, it will be running as if it were on a desktop.

Optimus is just using the intel gpu when it can and needed, otherwise everything else is on the gtx. If your on a pc and alt tab, it will be the same load as if it were on a laptop. I would recommend just saving and quiting. But I realize when you do this you loose any specific place/checkpoint your at.

For some reason im addicted to borderlands 2, still. I have all the new ones including had the hardline beta, just cant stop with borderlands. But when I play for like 2 hours, get 1/2 through a map, and save and quit, I start from the beginning, so I just pause it, and shut down my lid which keeps the laptop on. But my gtx gpu will run hard the entire time. I never knew about this alt tab, but will try and repost my findings for you.

ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

Quote Originally Posted by Theodore View Post
    I´m going to wait for GTA V. When it be released i will post some topic there and also if there be some problems with that i will write something there too... We will see...
    One more, thank you guys for the answers!
    It looks like there were problems with Optimus and GTA IV, here is one of many threads:

Nvidia Optimus: Crysis and GTA IV fix - Best solution link
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/84...rysis#10388034

https://www.google.com/search?q=Nvid...x-a&channel=sb

Hopefully GTA V will fare better with Intel Optimus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2