cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i7 4790K and Maximus VI Formula

Alyeify
Level 7
Hi, new to the forums and was wondering if the new Intel i7-4790K being released on Wednesday will function on the Maximus VI Formula Z87 board? I keep trying different search terms and from what info there is, the new processor will have a max TDP of 88w whereas the 4770K has 84w. Thanks for the future help and info!
29 REPLIES 29

01_Wolverine
Level 12
Hi Alyeify and Welcome,

Yes the 4970k will fit M6F,check for BIOS update

Also if you have a Frys' or Microcenter close they will save you some money.

microcenter has the 4970k now for $279.99 USD

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yep as 01 said, all you need is the latest BIOS for the MVIF. You can download that and use BIOS flashback to flash the BIOS with no CPU present and then off you go (this is wrong please see below)...or flash the BIOS with an older CPU present and then swap to the new chip...

EDIT

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Yep as 01 said, all you need is the latest BIOS for the MVIF. You can download that and use BIOS flashback to flash the BIOS with no CPU present and then off you go...or flash the BIOS with an older CPU present and then swap to the new chip...

For the new CPU to work the UEFI needs to be updated with a BOOTable CPU before the newer CPUs can be used
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
ooops sorry 😮 hate giving bad advice...

Really?! That's a bit harsh...but have to flog those new boards somehow I guess 😄

Alyeify
Level 7
Thanks, the only processor that ill have after i get it is the one thats in this comp. It is an Intel Pentium D (really old and really trashy), would this work just for the BIOS update?

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Isn't the Pentium D LGA 775 socket? If so no it will not work. there is a list of compatible CPUs for your motherboard at ASUS.com.

I doubt anybody does, but does anybody have an idea of when the V7 Formula will be released for purchase?

Alyeify
Level 7
Ahhh youre right. Damn it. Im in the process of building a computer that greatly surpasses this one and it has been a long time coming. I def dont have the money to spend on two processors just to get one to function. Its lookin like my idea of gettin this i7 is slowly being pushed out the door 😕

Alyeify wrote:
Ahhh youre right. Damn it. Im in the process of building a computer that greatly surpasses this one and it has been a long time coming. I def dont have the money to spend on two processors just to get one to function. Its lookin like my idea of gettin this i7 is slowly being pushed out the door 😕

Don't have a friendly PC store to sell you the new CPU and lend you a previous one as part of the deal to upgrade...or a mate with a Haswell non refresh?

As viz said there is a program you need to run before the BIOS update so you need a CPU