cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750 Mini Thunderbolt question

Werewolf_486
Level 7
I have a friend who just bought one of these and I have questions about the Thunderbolt port. First does it function like a regular Thunderbolt port? Second is there a cable that goes from mini thunderbolt on one end to regular Thunderbolt on the other end?

I'll explain why I ask this after I get my answers for those who haven't figured it out yet.

Thanks in advance!
5 REPLIES 5

Magnetone
Level 7
Hi,

i guess you mixed up a few things. AFAIK There is no such thing as a Mini-Thunderbolt Port. What you are probably referring to is that Thunderbolt uses the same connector as Mini DisplayPort. The laptops Thunderbolt-Adapter shows up as a pci-to-pci bridge (in our case i guess its the pcie 4x in the device manager) and combines Pcie and displayport.

So no need for any extra cables or adapters.
Hope that helps

Max

Werewolf_486
Level 7
Ok, well the confusion I had was from watching the videos on the G750 and hearing them talk about the port as being both Mini HDMI and Thunderbolt. So I thought that this was a new design that I had missed. Thanks for clearing that up!

I'm looking into my buddy using a Thunderbolt cable to a Sonnet Echo Express and then using a ViDock 4++ plugged into that with a EVGA GTX 770 Super clocked installed into that so he can run 3 large monitors on his desk and use his G750 without trying to run 3 large monitors from the GTX860m. All in all it's as much as building a good gamin desktop rig, but he can't break from having a laptop.

Magnetone
Level 7
well i am not up to date on intel licensing or certification regarding viddock thunderbolt support, but for now i guess you have to live with your current solution of using the sonnet thunderbolt adapter and pluggin the viddock into it.

You don't need a vidock, all you need is the sonnet echo express.

Cheaper than sonnet is a thunderbolt card produced by thundertek.

Magnetone
Level 7
Hi,

are you sure the thundertek is capable of hosting full length/dual-width video cards and is has enough watts to power them?

Greets

Max