cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird noise coming from Asus G750JZ

HomieOC
Level 7
Weird noise coming from Asus G750JZ...... i rebooted my laptop and the noise went away which i dont get.. lol

Anyways, I don't think it is my 880m because it's disabled and im running on intel GPU. What was it and whats wrong?

It went away after shutting it down, and turning it back on... I recorded a clip that i will post below.. Make sure to turn your volume up all the way to hear it, and the loud fan noise in the background is my Dell PowerEdge R200 1U Rack server 🙂

Also, i checked CPU temps since i have 880 M disabled and it was idling at 39-43 C
7 REPLIES 7

hmscott
Level 12
HomieOC wrote:
Weird noise coming from Asus G750JZ...... i rebooted my laptop and the noise went away which i dont get.. lol

Anyways, I don't think it is my 880m because it's disabled and im running on intel GPU. What was it and whats wrong?

It went away after shutting it down, and turning it back on... I recorded a clip that i will post below.. Make sure to turn your volume up all the way to hear it, and the loud fan noise in the background is my Dell PowerEdge R200 1U Rack server 🙂

Also, i checked CPU temps since i have 880 M disabled and it was idling at 39-43 C

HomieOC, probably something mechanical, like the HD head noise, or something caught in the fan... try pulling the HD and putting it into an external enclosure.

HomieOC
Level 7
?????

Dcite
Level 7
Isn't that the sound of the HDD head parking? Since I don't hear disk access sound + head parking sound at the same time.
Also your rack must make such a soothing sound to sleep with. (Least for those who MUST hear the sounds of fans running when sleeping).

HomieOC
Level 7
Help!

HomieOC wrote:
Help!

HomieOC, Dcite had the right question, do you still have the HD installed in bay 2 ?

The sound is more like the mechanical click of something impeding into the path of a fan, but it could also be the HD.

Try pulling the HD, and see if the sound goes away.

If it continues, then hold up the laptop with the vents down, and gently wiggle it to try to dislodge what is caught in the fan pathway.

You may have to shine a light into the vents, and see what might be in there.

Can you localize the sound to a specific area in the laptop, or which vent the sound is emitting?

Prostar_Compute
Level 9
The only components with moving parts that would produce that sort of noise are mechanical drives and fans. Unless the fan had bad bearings (seldom happens) or was hitting something, it might be the drive's actuator arm that Dcite mentioned. I agree with hmscott: pull the drive out and listen for the noise. If it's not there, put the drive back in and listen again. If it's there again, it's your hard drive. If that ends up not being the case, it's almost certainly one of the fans at that point.

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

HomieOC
Level 7
thanks guys 🙂 only problem is the noise hasn't returned since i turned it off and back on haha