cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Formula-z + FX-9590 BSOD issues

Fortinbra
Level 7
I'm having issues with a newly built PC, when attempting to install anything, the system BSODs. I will also get the same result when installing the latest SATA controller drivers. Here are my system specs:

AMD FX-9590
ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z
Crucial M500 480GB SATA SSD
G.Skill Tident X 16GB (2x8GB)
EVGA GeForce 750 1GB
Corsair HX750 (PSU)
Corsair H80i (liquid cooler)
WD Black 1TB 7200RPM

Specific installs by which it would BSOD are
MS SQL Sever 2008 R2 SP1
MS Visual Studio 2010 SP1
MS Visual Studio 2013 update 2 (specifically during Windows Phone 8.1 installation)

I've also read through a few other posts trying to find answers, and yes both the 4pin and 8pin power connectors are connected, and I have not attempted to OC in anyway, shape or form. Here is my CPU Z screenshot

I've been attempting to monitor the voltages, and seems like the vcore voltage is dropping drastically right before the BSOD.

Any additional insight would be greatly appreciated.

*Edit*
Should also add that the error messages in the memory dumps are:
CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED(ef)
WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT
failure also listing csrss.exe as failed process

These appear to be software related issues, but I've never had issues with compatibility with any of these programs before, running an identical software environment on an Intel build with no issues.
19 REPLIES 19

chrsplmr
Level 18
Fortinbra - Welcome to ROG.

First I would go into the bios and set your memory to the correct speed if you have not already. ((Del button on boot up))
Second I would set the multiplier to 18 or 20 (it is currently on 7 and your cpu is running @ 1.395)- it should be Alot higher.

Then I would run memtest found in HiVizMan's Signature Here:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48216-Hivizman-Brazilian-Carnival-Challenge&country=&status...

Best of luck. Keep us posted and we will go from there. .c.
((maybe a screenshot of cpuZ memory and cpu tab .. so we can get a look at your voltages next.))

MeanMachine
Level 13
There are a couple of things that are of concern in addition to what chrsplmr has stated.

csrss. exe or Client/Server Run-Time Subsystem serves as a kernel Microsoft Windows file stored in the c:\windows\system32 or c:\winnt\system32 directory.
Csrss.exe provides the user mode side of the Win32 subsystem and is mainly responsible for Win32 console handing and GUI shutdown, creating or deleting threads, and implementing some portions of the 16-bit virtual MS-DOS environment.

It runs as a normal system process which can split itself into multiple tasks. As an essential system component, Csrss.exe cannot be terminated with the task kill command or with Windows Task Manager normally.
Because Csrss.exe is critical to system operation; the forcible termination of Csrss.exe may lead to system failure and a blue screen of death.

Any aimless termination of Csrss.exe process can also cause damage to your PC, including Blue Screen of Death and computer crash.
On account of the importance of Csrss.exe, it is always targeted by cyber criminals and infected as a hack tool.

Generally, if you notice several Csrss.exe processes on the task window, your system might be infected with certain spyware, Trojan or other viruses.
Thus,do a full scan with installed antivirus programs to detect and prevent any potential threats to keep system safe.

Also:

Monitor your temps carefully especially if you OC, cause your H80i cooler is insufficient for the FX-9590
Your 750w PSU will be stretched also with the TDP demand in combination with your GPU. This may become more of a problem as you add more peripherals.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Here are the additional screenshots. The stepping on the CPU is actually fluctuating, I just happened to catch it on the low side in that screen shot. Here is the CPU again, but on the higher stepping, and both the memory tab, and the SPD tab with one of my memory slots showing.

I honestly have no intentions on ever attempting to over clock this system, being as it's already significantly faster than what I had before (i5 quad 2.4Ghz). I just need it stable enough to do my work on it, and to run a virtual machine or two while still working in the host.

And just for the sake of clarity, the UEFI/BIOS is currently set to all defaults, and is updated to 210138135

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Fortinbra,

I'm sure chrsplmr will advise you better when he comes back on however, In the meantime, I would select your XMP profile for your DIMMs in the Extreme Tweaker section of your bios and configure dram timings in timing control.

A little tweaking re: Static settings and Dimm Voltage will help stabilize your system even if you don't OC.

Familiarise yourself with your new Bios, and there are excellent tutorials on this site.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2585-ASUS-Crosshair-V-Formula-BIOS-Guide-Overclocking&count...
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello there.

Default your system. Clear CMOS or F5 in bios.

Set your mode of SATA as needed and boot into OS

Now open some hardware monitoring software. I like HWmonitor as it is free and does not require an install.

Next monitor your voltages and temps using the application.

Something is not right and at the minute I am wondering about current delivery from your PSU> HWmonitor will show any drops of flutter.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Fortinbra
Level 7
Right now the BIOS is running on defaults, I'm gonna let HWMonitor run for about an hour, then post a screenshot. After that I'll go in and configure the memory to where it is supposed to be, and then post CPUZ screenshots again.

Thank you all for your help!

Fortinbra
Level 7
Here is HWMonitor after about 40min. 38141

HiVizMan
Level 40
Clearly your temps are now stabilised at defaults.

Now run ROG Realbench stress test for 10 minutes with HWmonitor in the back ground and compare the min and max temps
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

This weekend I'm going to get a blank drive and confirm that there isn't an issue with my windows installation. I've done sfc checks to confirm that the system files where unharmed after each BSOD, and I've also done disk checks to make sure my SSD is still good, but maybe these scans have missed something?