cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extra Cooling for Asus ROG laptop?

Torpedo499
Level 7
So I was wondering if this cooler would fit and have an impact on the cooling of my G750JW,

I really hate high temperatures, even if it's 1C higher than I'm use too.

Would this cooler be beneficial?

Thanks!
19 REPLIES 19

Torpedo499
Level 7

dne0gen
Level 7
Unless you plan on using it in your bed or on your lap then maybe there is some sense it taking one, but if you want to use it on your desk or table you won't really see a big difference ( if any ) in the laptop temperature.
The best thing these coolers do is lift the laptop up so the air will flow under the laptop itself. Other than that, there really isn't any difference in the CPU or GPU temperatures. If your laptop is heating enough to trouble you, the best advice I could give you is to get it cleaned inside.
I have had quite a few coolers for my old laptop and in all honesty the one that costs $10 does the same "cooling" as the one that costs $40.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Using a cooling pad won't affect the G series. ( Well, not much, anyway )

HERE'S WHY! ;D

The laptop's air intake is split into two places.. The top of the laptop, and the bottom..

I'd say roughly 30% of the air that goes into the laptop is sucked through the bottom, from the grates above the rear panel that can be taken off.. The rest, 70% comes from under the screen through the speakers.

Here's a diagram:

The diagram isn't accurate, but a rough idea of where the intake is.

The fans are centrifugal.

P.S. If you want to clean your fans, all you need to do is remove the plate behind the screen, (on top of the heat sinks) and give it a light dusting.

(You won't be able to reach directly INTO the fan, but you CAN clean inside the heatsink block, and the grill of the speaker, that's the first place the dust will begin to collect.)

Darnassus wrote:
Using a cooling pad won't affect the G series. ( Well, not much, anyway )

HERE'S WHY! ;D

The laptop's air intake is split into two places.. The top of the laptop, and the bottom..

I'd say roughly 30% of the air that goes into the laptop is sucked through the bottom, from the grates above the rear panel that can be taken off.. The rest, 70% comes from under the screen through the speakers.

Here's a diagram:

The diagram isn't accurate, but a rough idea of where the intake is.

The fans are centrifugal.

P.S. If you want to clean your fans, all you need to do is remove the plate behind the screen, (on top of the heat sinks) and give it a light dusting.

Thanks for the information! I didn't know about the air coming from under the screen! I guess I won't buy a cooler then, thanks again!

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Oh also I myself have a notebook cooler, but only because I like the 'wedge' shape it provides for my wrists.. I also had it before I purchased this laptop. ;3

A side note, because of this design, you can actually use this laptop.. on your lap! 😜

xcaetano
Level 7
so, buying a notebook cooler will provide to the laptop will pump some extra fresh air into the laptop

Maxter
Level 9
That is one awesome diagram. Blew my mind that the air comes from the top! How do I remove the panel for cleaning? I can't figure it out...

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Maxter wrote:
That is one awesome diagram. Blew my mind that the air comes from the top! How do I remove the panel for cleaning? I can't figure it out...

You have... I believe 3 screws beneath the battery, and then the two screws one at each of the very corners of the unit's underside. ( I think ONLY those 5, I may be wrong. Can't hurt to take out more than you need to, though.

It's the first part of the G750 that comes off.

Maxter
Level 9
Awesome sauce! Imma have to try that this weekend 😄