cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power problem with my Maximus VI Formula

DistructoWill
Level 7
Hi guys, Will here.

I'm having a problem with my ROG Maximus 6 Formula and its power connection.

I have a corsair ATX1200i hooked up with all necessary cable connections. including the extra 4-pin and molex connectors. But for some reason no power. except for when i unplug the split for the main MoBo power connection and use the self test feature on the PSU!
ok so i checked the psu atx cable. on the main 24-pin cable it splits from a 24pin to a 14 + 10 pin to go into the psu (corsair ATX1200i).

when i plug the 14 pin in it and use the self test function all power comes on including fans. LEDs light up including power on buttons LED fans and my H100i. when i release the self test button everything goes off again.

BUT... When i plug in the 10pin connector of the 24pin with the 14pin into the psu and try the self test function again nothing happens. its like its tripped a surge protection or something. not even an error led on the psu lights up.

I hope this helps somebody help me
4 REPLIES 4

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello there.

Could you confirm that you have the correct EPS 12v connectors fitted.

The plastic connectors will have some writing on that should indicate what they are. I once saw this when a PCIe connector was used in error. Both were 8 pins.

Failing that I wonder if the PSU is defective or if the board is defective.

Here is how to isolate. See if you can borrow a PSU from a friend and test if your board powers on.

Please list the rest of your hardware that you have fitted to the motherboard.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

the rest of my gear was

CPU: Intel i7 4770k
GPU: Asus GTX780Ti 3Gb OC
SSD: Asus ROG RaidR 240Gb
HDD: WD Black 1Tb 7200rpm
PSU: Corsair ATX1200i
CPU cooling: Corsair H100i
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2133 Mhz 16 Gb kit

DistructoWill
Level 7
Thx HiVizMan for replying. I think i may have had the wrong cable plugged in for the 8-pin connector. But i rectified that problem and it still doesn't work. Im presuming that i have fried my MoBo. Is this the case?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Not able to make that call without seeing the board.

Please post a picture with the board set up outside the case. More likely that you have a short that is preventing your system from working.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.