cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG OC Panel not working

chrisnyc75
Level 12
Hey guys 🙂 So, I just rebuilt my system with a brand new RIVBE and I'm having trouble getting the OC Panel working (in Normal Mode). I connected it to the mobo port and a SATA psu connector and installed ROG Connect Plus on my system. But the panel displays all zero's and doesn't show up in my device manager (at least, not as a device that I can recognize).

My first thought was that I need to update the firmware, but the directions in the manual & online say to disable "Intel USB3 (XHCI)", but there is no option in the RIVBE bios for Intel USB3/XHCI.... I disabled "Legacy USB3", but I still get this error:

In my device manager, there is no Intel USB3, only ASM USB3 (XHCI) & Intel USB2 (EHCI). I've tried disabling them both, but the firmware updater still gives me that error and the panel continues to show all 0's.

I'm thinking the terminology in the oc panel instructions are worded for the Maximus line not properly updated for RIVBE bios? It's also possible my drivers are screwed up and blocking the oc panel from working and/or updating? If I'm not mistaken, there is no Intel USB3 on the RIVBE, all USB3 ports are powered by the ASMedia controller, while USB2 is powered by Intel, right?

I haven't done a clean Windows install since Vista and I'm pretty sure that replacing the RIVE with the RIVBE has confused my chipset among other things. I also wasn't able to properly UNinstall AI Suite II because my RIVE is borked, and the uninstall mue won't run when it senses the wrong hardware. I used the AI Suite II cleaner utility and ccleaner to wipe it from the registry, then installed AI Suite III over it. AI Suite III seems to be working, but for all I know it could be causing (or hiding) a hardware/software conflict that is hindering the oc panel? I'm likely going to do a clean Windows install in the next couple of weeks, but I'd like to know if there's something wrong with my oc panel setup before I bother to do that?

Should I be seeing Intel USB3/XHCI drivers in Device Manager?
Shouldn't the OC Panel be sensed under the USB controllers in Device Manager, and would it fall under USB2 or USB3?

Thanks 🙂
Asus RIVBE • i7 4930K @ 4.7ghz • 8gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 CL8
2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC • Creative X-Fi Titanium • 2x 840 SSD + 1TB Seagate Hybrid
EVGA Supernova 1300W• Asus VG278H & nVidia 3d Vision
Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/ custom watercooling:
XSPC Raystorm (cpu & gpu), XSPC Photon 170, Swiftech D5 vario
Alphacool Monsta 360mm +6x NB e-loop, XT45 360mm +6x Corsair SP120

5 REPLIES 5

Necrosan
Level 12
There is no native USB 3 on the RIVBE.
It still has the same platform limitations as all other X79 boards thus has a 3rd party USB 3 controller.

The OC Panel / Front Base also do not pop up underneath device manager.
MB: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 (Cooled by Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12 fans)
RAM: 64GB G.SKILL RipjawsZ 1600 (10-10-10-30)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X Hybrid
TV Tuners: 2 * Hauppauge HVR-1800
Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos 2

Necrosan wrote:
There is no native USB 3 on the RIVBE.
It still has the same platform limitations as all other X79 boards thus has a 3rd party USB 3 controller.

The OC Panel / Front Base also do not pop up underneath device manager.

Ok, that's what I thought (re: USB3). And good to know the panel won't show up in device manager. I finally just pulled it out, remounted it, reseated the cables and hit "reset" and it started working. Maybe the motherboard end of the cable came lose when I was doing cable management in the back of my chassis or something. Thanks 🙂
Asus RIVBE • i7 4930K @ 4.7ghz • 8gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 CL8
2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC • Creative X-Fi Titanium • 2x 840 SSD + 1TB Seagate Hybrid
EVGA Supernova 1300W• Asus VG278H & nVidia 3d Vision
Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/ custom watercooling:
XSPC Raystorm (cpu & gpu), XSPC Photon 170, Swiftech D5 vario
Alphacool Monsta 360mm +6x NB e-loop, XT45 360mm +6x Corsair SP120

Where is the reset button on the OC panel?

I'm having the same problem - all 0s on the display. It *was* working fine, then suddenly it just started reporting 0s for everything. I managed to update the OC panel firmware (you first disable Intel xHCI in the BIOS - which is under "Legacy USB 3.0 Support") without issue. Nothing. I powered all the way down, including turning the external power switch to off on the power supply. Still all 0s. Any insight would be appreciated.

After a system crash I took the opportunity to re-seat all of the cables to the OC panel and that "fixed" the problem. I did not have to hit the "reset" button (which is apparently labeled "Start"). Interestingly the cables appeared to have been installed correctly.

Not sure why that "fixed" it as I had the power completely off to the system - at the power supply - a few times. I'm wondering if it's possible the panel is getting current from the board some other way? Not really sure what's going on.

When I restarted the system, I got a BIOS error message reading "Overclocking failed" which forced me to go into the BIOS screen. I made no changes and restarted the system. All appears to be working.

I'm guessing the problem might have something to do with hitting some of the external buttons on the OC panel, which I did in an attempt to get the readout fixed. I'd really, really, really like an "OC panel read-only" option for the device. I don't want to make any changes when the device is installed in the case.

HiVizMan
Level 40
I will pass on you guys requests as see what they say.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.