cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Weird Issue Trying to Get a POST for the First Time

Andronimus2002
Level 7
Hey all,

I've built a few systems before but encountering a very strange issue I can't figure out and have never seen before. Hope someone can help.

I started out with a P9X79-WS and a i7-4930K with a 1375W Thermaltake PSU and Corsair H100i cooler. Put these basic parts together outside of the case and turned on the board. Board turned on, made one long beep and two short beeps from the PC speaker and displayed Q-code 59, having to do with the Microcode is Not Found. I did some looking at this but it seemed like it could be normal from not having the RAM in and everything else seemed fine so I proceeded.

Put in one stick of RAM in the D1 slot and fired everything up. Board stayed on for about 5 seconds before going into an endless reboot loop, powering on and off constantly. Sometimes randomly it'll make it about 10-15 seconds into the POST process with a stick of RAM in before powering down and restarting, but usually it's less than 5 seconds.

Here's what I tried to fix it:

1) tried new RAM in all different slots
2) replaced the mobo to a Rampage IV Black
3) took out the CPU and re-cleaned and re-applied thermal paste
4) reset every connection to make sure everything was properly seated
5) flashed the BIOS to the latest build
6) cleared CMOS

Every - single - time I got the same behavior. No RAM installed, both boards (the original P9X79-WS and the swapped in Rampage IV Black) make it to a code 59 and freeze. As soon as *any* stick of RAM goes in, they go into a reboot cycle that never ends.

There's nothing else connected -- no video, no drives, nada. Is this how a CPU would behave if it was dead on arrival (these are all brand new parts)? Is my PSU busted? Like I said, the board does seem to power up and runs indefinitely if no RAM is installed.

I'm running out of ideas. We're talking about five connected pieces -- PSU, board, CPU, H100i, and RAM -- and I've already replaced two of them with no impact. Would prefer not to have to order a new PSU and CPU. Any help appreciated.
12 REPLIES 12

kawasakizx10rr
Level 8
have you gone into the fan speed control section in the bios and disabled the cpu min fan speed limit. I have to turn it off on my board . As i had the same problem every time with my old h100 so just don't plug in the h100i cpu fan cable to the motherboard and disable cpu fan from 600 to ignore in the bios. And have you also tried the ram test button ? that should be your main focus . Can you get in the bios for that matter after the beep codes ? It should say press f1 for recovery. I bought G Skill ram for my board at 1600 as they can be such a bi**h to get running with faster speeds. brands like corsair can be problematic with these RIVES. My friend had this problem with his Sabertooth and to fix it i just held down the ram test button to its code many times i can't remember how to do again exactly but just keep trying that. as seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9azllBzU5PU

And things like power cables ? are you using 2 12v,s at the top. not just 1 12v.
What ram have you tried and at what speed - timings . voltages ect.. And are the values set in the bios ?

kawasakizx10rr
Level 8
From other post,s i have read in the past hour as i have been typing these two posts . many say it was there psu . giving the same codes and symptoms you are getting. and even at that when i said my friend had this problem. i did fix it lots of times with the mem test button, but then with in 2 months his psu failed and just the fans and lights worked on that day. so it could of all been due to a bad psu.

Try to go to a store buy a psu test it if its the same. then return the psu for store credit. and possibly that ram even tho its to different types just got with some 1600 @ 11.11.11.28 . 1.5v

I'm hoping it's the PSU at this point because I don't have any other ideas. I can't adjust or change anything in BIOS besides using the ROG Connect button to flash to different versions because the comp resets far too quick to do anything...even if I somehow could get a picture (and I haven't even tried yet with a video card) it reboots within 10 seconds at the absolute max. I also have tried using the MemOK button with no result. I tried G Skill RAM first and then Corsair so if there is a super basic type of RAM I should try let me know but it seems crazy that every stick would cause this problem and not even be able to last without rebooting.

I really don't want to buy a third board or something....remember that I already tried with two boards and two different sets of RAM. It makes me think that unless I am very very unlucky that it's gotta be the CPU or PSU. Rampage IV black should be working with a 4930k right out of the box, right? I thought that was the whole point!

kawasakizx10rr
Level 8
I really don't want to buy a third board or something....remember that I already tried with two boards and two different sets of RAM. It makes me think that unless I am very very unlucky that it's gotta be the CPU or PSU.

IN THAT CASE IT IS THE PSU 4 SURE ! i have never heard of a dead cpu on arrival . Im sure it happens but its super rare. compared to a dead psu that is VERY common especially when put into a new power hungry build even at idle. if you have a voltage meter check the voltages against the label. IMO just get a new psu and make sure that is hocked up right pls 🙂 so two 12v , a floppy next to the ram if you have loads.

just a "silly" thought have you also tried with the case button cables not attached and just use the start button on the board as if they are wrong it could cause it to restart . and is the q reset button not stuck down lol i have to say it 🙂 um any thing else . grounding is not an issue as i never put on the washers on my board and its fine. and ram has been tried in all slots 2 kits. what am i says you tried that in 2 boards ITS THE PSU . and if you live near a pc shop ask for them to test your psu or "mhhh" the cpu. on a build they should have spare ?

chrisnyc75
Level 12
I just went through several months of the same problem (which would periodically occur, then mysteriously disappear for weeks before recurring). During the course of the issue, I bought a new psu, rewired the system several times, & RMA'ed the board twice. In the end, the only thing that worked for me is a whole new motherboard (so far, so good!). IMO, do what you can to rule out a psu or ram problem, but if you can't get to the bottom of it, don't kill yourself trying to isolate a problem that is likely wired into the mobo circuitry. You are NOT the only one experiencing this with a RIV.

Out of curiosity, when it goes into the fail - reboot - fail cycle, do you get a code on the onboard status LCD? Also, you might check the QED lights to see at which point it is failing before POST (mine would stop on VTTDDR_CD)

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46402-Rampage-IV-Black-Edition-Not-Powering-up&p=410620&vie...
Asus RIVBE • i7 4930K @ 4.7ghz • 8gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 CL8
2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC • Creative X-Fi Titanium • 2x 840 SSD + 1TB Seagate Hybrid
EVGA Supernova 1300W• Asus VG278H & nVidia 3d Vision
Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/ custom watercooling:
XSPC Raystorm (cpu & gpu), XSPC Photon 170, Swiftech D5 vario
Alphacool Monsta 360mm +6x NB e-loop, XT45 360mm +6x Corsair SP120

chrisnyc75 wrote:
I just went through several months of the same problem (which would periodically occur, then mysteriously disappear for weeks before recurring). During the course of the issue, I bought a new psu, rewired the system several times, & RMA'ed the board twice. In the end, the only thing that worked for me is a whole new motherboard (so far, so good!). IMO, do what you can to rule out a psu or ram problem, but if you can't get to the bottom of it, don't kill yourself trying to isolate a problem that is likely wired into the mobo circuitry. You are NOT the only one experiencing this with a RIV.

Out of curiosity, when it goes into the fail - reboot - fail cycle, do you get a code on the onboard status LCD? Also, you might check the QED lights to see at which point it is failing before POST (mine would stop on VTTDDR_CD)

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46402-Rampage-IV-Black-Edition-Not-Powering-up&p=410620&vie...

Would this problem present as mysterious restarts also, the problem about the RIV? Mine maybe would go a week and then restart 3 times in a day, totally random.

Andronimus2002
Level 7
Chrisnyc,

Super interesting. I just checked the link you posted and watched your video -- that is *exactly* what is occurring with me, even down to the timing. The reason I was so confused was that I originally started with a P9X79-WS board and had this problem, and then after replacing it with the RIVB, *the same thing is happening*. I took this as confirmation that it wasn't a mobo issue but I suppose it's possible that I got two bad boards in a row. Both are ASUS boards.

To your question, the Q-code is sort of random -- sometimes the system only stays on for two seconds or so and I can't make out anything, other times it actually survives for about 10 seconds before turning off but where it stops seems to be random; i.e., it's not always failing at the same point. I originally thought it was a RAM issue only because 90% of the time it failed before recognizing the RAM, but once in a while it does get far enough to look for a vid card (I can see the VGA or similar debug LCD light up) before shutting down.

Out of curiosity, did you ever test your system with JUST the PSU, cooler, and CPU (no RAM)? If so, did it stay on indefinitely? That's how mine behaves.

So far I'm almost ashamed to say that I've bought the second board, new RAM, and grabbed a new PSU that is supposed to arrive on Tuesday. I don' expect it to fix the issue and it's starting to cost a lot of money. I'm really reluctant to order yet ANOTHER motherboard but I have a bad feeling I might have gotten two bad ones in a row since your situation seems to mirror mine so closely. On some level its comforting that someone else saw this incredibly weird behavior. On another it sucks to have thousands of bucks of computer parts sitting aimlessly on a desk because the stuff you've ordered doesn't work...

Andronimus2002 wrote:
Chrisnyc,

Super interesting. I just checked the link you posted and watched your video -- that is *exactly* what is occurring with me, even down to the timing. The reason I was so confused was that I originally started with a P9X79-WS board and had this problem, and then after replacing it with the RIVB, *the same thing is happening*. I took this as confirmation that it wasn't a mobo issue but I suppose it's possible that I got two bad boards in a row. Both are ASUS boards.

To your question, the Q-code is sort of random -- sometimes the system only stays on for two seconds or so and I can't make out anything, other times it actually survives for about 10 seconds before turning off but where it stops seems to be random; i.e., it's not always failing at the same point. I originally thought it was a RAM issue only because 90% of the time it failed before recognizing the RAM, but once in a while it does get far enough to look for a vid card (I can see the VGA or similar debug LCD light up) before shutting down.

That's not really what happened with mine. Mine either wouldn't power on AT ALL, or it would power on just long enough for the fans to spin up and the lights to come on, but no power appeared to be going to the mobo circuitry itself (or it was failing before it finished the initial sequence testing) and then immediately lost power. Rinse & repeat, to infinity as seen in my video.

Andronimus2002 wrote:
Out of curiosity, did you ever test your system with JUST the PSU, cooler, and CPU (no RAM)? If so, did it stay on indefinitely? That's how mine behaves.

So far I'm almost ashamed to say that I've bought the second board, new RAM, and grabbed a new PSU that is supposed to arrive on Tuesday. I don' expect it to fix the issue and it's starting to cost a lot of money. I'm really reluctant to order yet ANOTHER motherboard but I have a bad feeling I might have gotten two bad ones in a row since your situation seems to mirror mine so closely. On some level its comforting that someone else saw this incredibly weird behavior. On another it sucks to have thousands of bucks of computer parts sitting aimlessly on a desk because the stuff you've ordered doesn't work...

I did not test the system with no ram, but I did test it with just 1 stick of ram four times, one for each stick of ram I had. The behavior was the same with all 4 sticks individually, which to me seems to indicate that either ram wasn't my problem at all, or the D1 slot (or whichever slot it is for the single stick of ram configuration) was bad. At the same time, I found that the ram I had originally had in that slot all along had discolored pins. I'm thinking that slot shorted out and fried the ram and the slot itself (so that no other stick of ram would work in that slot either). But that's just my theory. Ultimately I'm RMA'ing the board, as I've grown so weary with it I simply bought a new board altogether.

Take HiViz's advice, call Asus tech support and let them talk you through it. RMA the board and let them work their magic on it.
Asus RIVBE • i7 4930K @ 4.7ghz • 8gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 CL8
2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC • Creative X-Fi Titanium • 2x 840 SSD + 1TB Seagate Hybrid
EVGA Supernova 1300W• Asus VG278H & nVidia 3d Vision
Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/ custom watercooling:
XSPC Raystorm (cpu & gpu), XSPC Photon 170, Swiftech D5 vario
Alphacool Monsta 360mm +6x NB e-loop, XT45 360mm +6x Corsair SP120

HiVizMan
Level 40
RMA the board mate, if it is the board then you need to get a working one returned to you.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.