cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI and pump won't boot up together

amatthie
Level 7
I recently finished assembling my custom water cooling loops and now my computer doesn't like me. I had ran the computer for approximately a month with the original stock coolers with no hiccups.

Components
Asus Maximus VI Formula
Intel i7 4770K
EVGA GTX 780
CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Aquacomputer Aquastream XT (pump)
Aquacomputer D5 aquabus interface
Ultra X4 1050w PSU (used in my previous builds)

I assembled the whole unit with water blocks on the CPU, GPU, SB, and VRM/MOSFETs. My loops run as follows: 1) bay RES > aquastream xt > top 360 RAD > VRM > GPU > bay RES. 2) tube RES > D5 pump > bottom 360 RAD > VRM > CPU > RES.

Below are all of the actions I've done in the order I've written them.

Once I assembled everything for the first time I powered it up with the 24atx, CPU power, 8+6 PCI, both pumps plugged in. Plugged the AC PSU cord in and flipped the switch. The mobo lights came on and I pushed the Mobo power button and nothing happened. Tried the reset and still no joy.

I eventually figured out that I accidentally rewired my 8 pin PCI cable incorrectly after I sleeved the wires by using the original PSU cables. This time when I plugged everything in and pressed the power button I at least got some reaction from my mobo. The Q- code got as far as 15 before it shut down.

I drained the loops and tore the PC down to the bones. Mobo laying on my Modmat with the CPU bare and swapped out my GPU with my older GTX 460. Pressed power and it finally Posted and I could enter BIOS. I shut it down immediately since it didn't have a cooler on it. I changed back to my new GPU and got the same results. I plugged in my OS SSD and put a fan above the CPU. It successfully loaded windows and I powered down immediately.

So now I know my PC components are working.

I reassembled everything back into the case and filled the loops. This time I only plugged in the Aquastream XT pump with the PC components. The PC shuts down the moment I hear the Aquastream powering up. The Q-code gets to 15 than reads 00 and powers down and automatically tries again. Now if I just plug in the D5 pump loop the system seems to start up just fine. I've also powered up the MOBO first than plugged in the Aquastream pump afterwards and they run fine together. If I have the MOBO and pump running and press the Reset button they both continue to run fine. I seem to have the issue when I'm starting the pump and MOBO from the "Off"position.

The Aquastream seems to run fine when I jump start my PSU to bleed the loop. I've also tried to use one of the original molex cables from my PSU incase I messed up the wires after I sleeved them but that didn't make a difference.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2

amatthie
Level 7
This has been resolved! I hooked the aquaero 6 and the aquastream up to the Internal USB headers and started the PC. Initially I had the molex connector for the pump unplugged and after I saw the mobo post I plugged it in. It continued to boot and load windows, followed by installing the drivers for the two devices. After that I powered down the PC and ever since it's started up fine. I do not know why this is the resolution for all the trouble but I'm glad it's over!

HiVizMan
Level 40
Thank you for posting up the solution? Post some pictures of your set up mate...
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.