cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kaveri x A88XM build

Gorman
Level 12
After 9 months without any ASUS products, I'm ready to visit hell again.

Parts list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pL3hmG

Here's my parts list for an adorable µATX build.
CPU: A10-7850K (dat HSA.)
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 evo (wow generic!)
Mobo: ASUS A88XM-Plus (/csm?)
RAM: 2x4gb hyperX 2400MHz (gotta go fast!)
PSU: Corsair CX 500w (boring!)

Anyone keeping score with A10 and A88 know that there's a bit of a problem here. The A88 is clearly the best mobo for the A10, I mean, it's built for it right? Well sadly there's been **** tons of people having problems...

The first big problem is that the A88 doesn't actually support A10 without updating the bios first, which is pretty stupid considering the page says "This motherboard fully supports the latest AMD Socket FM2+ Kaveri APUs". But that's not too big of a deal... But if it won't post with an A10, then you can't flash the bios. There's also some people getting uefi errors when they try to update!

The second big problem is digital output. Apparently a lot of people can't get HDMI/DVI-D output to work. Well I'm ok with VGA, but that's pretty ****ty and I'd prefer DVI-D... I don't know if there's any fix for this.

Anyone have any general build advice or know if ASUS has fixed either of these issues yet, or know of a fix for it?

To anyone who remembers me from last year: you must think I'm crazy buying more ASUS after 3 years of being **** on by them. But hey, pretty sure this is the best mobo for A10, so let's cross our fingers and just hope!!

EDIT: After some um'ing and ah'ing I figured going for a MSI A88XI AC would be better (and, since it's mini ITX, perhaps cuter). Apparently it only supports up to 2133 ram tho, not that it makes a difference since most 2133 seems to be priced the same (because it can all be oc to 2400 anyway [noparse]-_-;)[/noparse].

MOREEDIT: Nah the Asrock FM2A88X-ITX+ is probably a better choice since it properly supports 2400 ram and has better reviews.

Swapping the Hyper 212 for a NH-L9A too.
0 REPLIES 0