ROG Member Array

Maximus VI Formula Power Button Problem.

My system is Maximus VI Formula
    8gb Ram
    2 SSD
    3 HDD
    2 R9 290X Reference model ASUS Cards Watercooled
    Swiftech MCP35X2
    2 360 Rads
    3 Noctua Fans
    4 Corsair 900D fans
    3 Gentle Typhoons
    Corsair RM1000 Power supply

My system is overclocked but the problem persists when not overclocked

My problem is Randomly when I press the power button the system starts to power up for a split second and then the power just cuts out. When this happens I will just hold the power button for 10 seconds and try again sometimes it starts sometimes it does not. I am always able to get the system to start with this method in under 10 tries. When the computer starts it runs without issue almost.
    Event Viewer shows an occasional Critical Event ID 41 Kernel-Power currently it says it has happened once in the last 7 days.

Also when this power button issues happens sometimes I reset the power supply but that does not seem to make a difference sometimes it will start right up after this sometimes not. Also to rule out the power switch I have used the onboard mobo power button and it seems to have the same probability of working.

I have also tried solving this issue by removing one GPU thinking it could be too much of a draw to power my system but I have the same issue. The power supply, mobo, cpu, and case are all 2 months old and have had this issue since day 1.

So I guess I am looking for help on two issues. The kernel power 41 and the power button issue. I don't think they are related as I tried going to stock settings and had the same issue I think. I kind of don't remember if I actually did that but I am about to revert to stock clocks and default bios settings to see if this power button issue sticks around. Also if any smart people want to help me tweak my oc that would be great.

ROG Member Array

I am hopefully you guys can help me out and appreciate anybodys input.

ROG Member Array

why u dont take the motherboard to the seller asking that?

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by pedroxd View Post
    why u dont take the motherboard to the seller asking that?
    I would but i'm not sure the mobo is the problem. It could be the power supply or something else. Also I purchased the parts from amazon so they wont be much help. The board seems to work fine.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array MatsGlobetrotter's Avatar

I had similar issues but it was after i had done some sleeving on my cabling (putting new connectors pins on) and there was an issue with the voltages not coming forward to Mobo fully. Thus I would try re attach all the power connectors to both PSU and MOBO and make sure they are fully set in the connectors. Check that a particular pin is not too far back in the connector. IF any power voltage is missing or wrong the mobo will cut off power like that to protect your equipment.
    It started with a VIC-20... and now it is. Maximus Formula VI Intel 4770K 4.6GHz ASUS GTX780Ti 3GB Corsair Platinum Dominator 16GB 2400MHz Raid Express 240GB Samsung EVO 512 GB SSD Corsair 900D EK watercooling Corsair RM1000 ASUS PB278Q

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by MatsGlobetrotter View Post
    I had similar issues but it was after i had done some sleeving on my cabling (putting new connectors pins on) and there was an issue with the voltages not coming forward to Mobo fully. Thus I would try re attach all the power connectors to both PSU and MOBO and make sure they are fully set in the connectors. Check that a particular pin is not too far back in the connector. IF any power voltage is missing or wrong the mobo will cut off power like that to protect your equipment.
    Thanks I will investigate this idea. The power supply is new as are all connectors and mobo. I'm thinking this may not be the issue just because my problem is so consistent. Almost everytime I come to the computer I go through this process to start it up. If it was faulty wiring I think it would be not working for a while at all then suddenly work for a while. But great idea and I am going to swap all of my cables. The cables are modular so I will check both ends and replace the cables with entirely different cables where I can.