Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17
    ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array NemesisChild PC Specs
    NemesisChild PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus X Hero (WI-FI AC)
    ProcessorIntel i7 8700K
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTZR
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FE
    Graphics Card #2Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FE
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970 PRO 512GB NVMe M.2
    Storage #2WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X42
    CaseCooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
    Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech G703 Wireless
    Headset Logitech G Pro
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries
    OS Windows 10 Home x64 (UEFI)
    Network RouterLinksys WRT1900AC

First of all, It should not lock up at 81C.
    System shutdown wouldn't happen until over 91C.

It's doubtful that you damaged the chip.
    If you can enter the bios, check which version is currently in place.
    If it officially supports the 4970k, then you're good to go.

Why did you order a replacement when you didn't determine the condition of the original?
    Intel i7 8700K@ 5.2GHz (Delidded)
    ASUS Maximus X Hero (Bios 1801)
    NZXT Kraken X42
    G.Skill TridentZ@ 4000MHz CL16 2x8GB
    SLI: 2x Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FE@ 2025/2025MHz
    Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVMe M.2
    Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
    Storage: WD Black 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 2TB
    EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced

ROG Member Array klucko PC Specs
    klucko PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ROG G72
    MotherboardMAXIMUS VI FORMULA
    Processor4790k
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 4GB
    MonitorBenQ 27" 4ms GTG
    Storage #1Crucial 240 SSD
    Storage #2WD 1GB HDD
    CPU CoolerZALMAN CNPS9500 AT
    CaseCorsair Carbide Series 200R Black Steel
    Power SupplyCORSAIR CX series CX750M
    Keyboard Corsair Gaming K95 RGB cherry mx red
    Mouse g500 or g600 depending on what i'm doing
    Headset SENNHEISER GAME ONE
    OS Windows 7 64 Pro

Hey Nemesis thx for the quick reply, it was above 81 for sure that was the last i looked for some odd reason i had a tab covering up the hwmonitor when it locked up and that was the "CPU" temp in there, the core temps where much higher. 87 the last i looked (about 30 seconds before the freeze) it was about 2.5 mins of winrar compression. all this is for stock speeds no over clocking done on the cpu everything in bios set defaults

I have the latest bios now 1603 which people said prior in the forum, that will support the 4790k

I ordered a replacement as i got the current one i have on sale and if ends up being the chip i dont want to put my old chip back in again put it back together go get a new one. Take it back apart put a new one in blah blah. if its not the chip i can always sell it on the internet and get most of my money back and save myself a lot of frustration if it is the chip i can return it for a refund. Also on intels website they said the tcase temp 74,04 for my chip. which i know that's measurable, but people say the HWmonitor "CPU" temp is a guess at that temp based of the core temps and if i was at 81-82 last i looked i know it went up from there before the system locked.

it basically did the same thing that my 5 yr old computer did when the thermal paste wore out (the freezing up not the won't restart). replaced the thermal paste and it ran like normal. so my assumption was that the processor was getting to hot i check the back of the Mobo and saw that the fan was properly installed so that led me to believe it was the processor i just wanted to make sure that the bios not being update wasn't the fault of it.

I guess it could have also been the CPU fan, mine broke it was old i reused it from my old pc build and one of the plastic clips broke off. So i used the stock fan that came with the i7, when i put in my i5 again i used the stock fan that came with it (so 2 different cpus and 2 different stock fans). but the fan on the i7 was spinning i didn't check the rpms of it which in hindsight i should have.
    Last edited by klucko; 12-15-2015 at 08:45 PM.

ROG Member Array klucko PC Specs
    klucko PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ROG G72
    MotherboardMAXIMUS VI FORMULA
    Processor4790k
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 4GB
    MonitorBenQ 27" 4ms GTG
    Storage #1Crucial 240 SSD
    Storage #2WD 1GB HDD
    CPU CoolerZALMAN CNPS9500 AT
    CaseCorsair Carbide Series 200R Black Steel
    Power SupplyCORSAIR CX series CX750M
    Keyboard Corsair Gaming K95 RGB cherry mx red
    Mouse g500 or g600 depending on what i'm doing
    Headset SENNHEISER GAME ONE
    OS Windows 7 64 Pro

Anyways it works now with the new CPU running way lower 55 ish after 5 mins of winrar compression. Yeah its very stable now with the new pc and heat sink. even overclocked it to 4600 on air with 1.312v which i think is high voltage but i havn't played with it to much(ill jump over to the over clocking forums for that thou)

So i'm going with a bad CPU or Fan which is highly unlikely but i guess it does happen every once in a while.

thx again for the help.
    Last edited by klucko; 12-18-2015 at 06:19 PM.

New ROGer Array

I just ran into this over the weekend. Popped my i7-4790k in and was meet with a blank stare when I powered up. No BIOS post. So I found this thread and did the steps in post #1. I had to download the Win7 version of the Management Engine as the Win10 wouldn't even install. After getting BIOS 1603 and putting my new CPU back in, I got the same thing. BIOS won't post. I get nothing when I power up. No beeps. I can go back to be i5 and it works just fine.

Anyone have any input as to what I can do? Are there some chipset updates that need to be applied?

ROG Junior Member Array

For those looking to upgrade from I5 4670K to I7 4790K on a Maximus Vi board (Note i have mATX Gene) in Windows 10.

My situation - already on latest Bios 1603 - upgraded the CPU and it won't post with error code 00 on the motherboard.

So what I did was try run the following:
    Downloaded Version 1505 bios and the update program /BIOS_updater_for_New_4th_Gen_Intel_Core_Processors/V2.00.02/Update.exe.
    Tried to run the Update.exe, however the next step to proceed was greyed out.
    Using this program is key to unlocking the MOBO to use the new Devil Canyon CPU.

Doing some research, seems like I needed to update to a compatible version of the "Intel Management Engince Interface''.
    At this point the i5 4670k is installed and running.

1. Downloaded the latest version of the Windows 7 chipset drive: Version 9.5.15.1730.
    2. Unpack it somewhere. Check what version of the "Intel Management Engince Interface' in Device Manager/System devices.
    3. Run the setup and it should say there is a newer version and if want to go ahead and downgrade. Just do it.
    Check what version of the "Intel Management Engince Interface' in Device Manager/System devices again and it should v9 version
    4. Now go back to the V2.00.02 folder and run the Update.exe. Select the Bios. Note I downgraded from 1603 to 1505. Probably can just go straight to 1603.
    5. After the update. Reboot and it will go straight to Bios. Just update settings and F10 , save and exit. Should go back to Windows. In my situation windows had to repair something but it restarted and worked fine.
    6. Ran some programs/benchmarks to make sure everything was working.
    7. Replaced the CPU and started up. It was able to post and it will say something like new CPU detected and please enter F1 to setup.
    8. Update whatever needs updating in the Bios and save.
    Should now work. Congrats!

ROG Junior Member Array

wow, thank you. Installing the Windows 7 chipset driver, even though I am on Windows 10 did the trick. Thank you

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17