cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horrible Warranty Experience

RedDog
Level 7
I am posting here since I do not see a support or customer service thread.

Dear Asus team and the public, please let this letter serve as a warning for any consumer that is debating whether or not to do business with Asus.
I ran into an issue with one of your products that required the honoring of an extended warranty. I was unable to receive help from your customer care staff, and therefore I have been driven to write about my issues publicly. My issues have been without resolution for over six months.
The problems began with my Asus G75VW laptop when it began randomly rebooting and shutting down, receiving various BSOD errors on a random basis, 8 to 10 times per day. To solve this issue, I requested an RMA in December 2013.
I received my laptop back in January 2014, after it had undergone a motherboard replacement. Unfortunately the laptop demonstrated similar problems; in addition the computer had a broken LCD screen panel and major scratches upon delivery. I sent the computer back to Asus at that time, and received it for the second time at the end of February.
Customer support told me that the motherboard was replaced, yet one week later it was demonstrating the same problems as before. I sent the computer back to Asus at the end of March and received it for the third time in the middle of April. The laptop supposedly received a new graphics card, but two weeks later it was showing signs of the same issue and had additional problems with decreased performance.
After this, a tier 2 technician at the repair facility deemed my laptop irreparable. I contacted the head of customer support, Shanelle, and she helped me file for a replacement request consisting of a computer of equal or greater value.
I never heard from the company again, although they had promised to email me the options that I would be given in terms of the replacement. I had no contact for the next step.

A woman named Jolene sent a package to my house, and as I was not expecting a package it was refused automatically upon the delivery service’s request for a registered mail signature. The package was automatically sent back to Asus.
After three weeks without contact, Shanelle contacted me at the end of May and claimed that she could not find my original laptop and we agreed upon a computer replacement with the equivalent specifications (a refurbished G75VW). Chanel assured me that the computer would be tested for its functionality before it would be sent out. This turned out to be untrue.

At the end of June 2014 I received the refurbished laptop (A G75V, not VW if that makes any difference). I opened the package of the refurbished laptop and powered the machine on. It showed the same performance lag and freezing, it had to be reset four times before I was satisfied that the issue could not be solved via reset. After resetting the machine for the fourth time, the machine froze after a longer period of use. I decided to charge the laptop in order to have more time to work on the device, but after plugging in the AC adapter I noticed it did not work. I tried the AC adapter in nine different 120 V AC outlets. At this point both the laptop and AC adapter were nonfunctional. It is interesting to note how Shanelle told me that the machine was tested before shipment, yet the AC adapter was totally nonfunctional.

I am currently in contact with Jolene. She told me that she could not provide me with a brand-new laptop, and asked me what I was looking for. I made sure to clarify with her that I was not looking for a brand-new computer they could not provide one, but that I was requesting a laptop of equal or greater value. The G75VW would have been sufficient if it operated correctly after the third replacement that was not functional.

I then spoke with Henry at Asus customer care (*** email address edited by cl-Albert, for other members please check this page ASUS Worldwide RMA Guide for contact information to help with RMA issues ***). He told me that he could not do anything, and that he could not transfer the line to a manager or supervisor. In addition, he told me that I could no longer request a replacement of any equal or greater value, which is against the agreed upon terms of my purchased extended warranty.

Month 7
It was not my initial reaction to post this issue here, but I hope this serves as a warning for anyone that may be considering an Asus product in the future. My issues with their product and their support team have yet to be resolved.
8 REPLIES 8

MeanMachine
Level 13
Mmm, I wonder what the registered package was that Jolene sent? Was no one home?

And that Henry, now he deserves a definite reprimand.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

The package that was sent was the "G75VW". Which turned out a month later to be the G75V that froze on me 4 times with a brick of a charger. Also I forgot to type that yes the package was refused and also I did not except the package, because it was sent me without my knowledge or approval cor replacement. I had no idea what kind of unit or specs it had.

Gorman
Level 12
Getting a replacement is very very difficult. I was able to get a replacement for my defective laptop, but not after 5(?) RMAs in 2 years totalling more than 10 months at the repair shop - they would hold it for a few months then return it unfixed! In the end I was able to get a replacement for a lower end model (which I gladly took and sold it on and washed my hands of it :)).

Though, FYI, on 3 separate occasions ASUS told me that they do NOT give refunds or replacements EVER, so it's possible that I just got really lucky since the laptop I had apparently had a really high failure rate and the repair shop was running out of parts. Maybe I was so unlucky that it turned my luck? 😛

Good luck to you, maybe cl-albert, marshal or another can take a look at your case.

If you are interested in how I got mine replaced, here's the thread http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?36078-Last-ditch-effort-to-get-ASUS-to-be-responsible-gt-(
There's not a whole lot of detail, but I updated it as I got things and I posted the email I send originally.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
fyi.
Since I don't have too much say in the final decision, I've actually been trying to stay out of it and let ASUS Customer Service work it out with RedDog, but RedDog has been nice enough not to mention that they have been updating and checking with me, and I haven't been able to provide much help with this case so far, unfortunately.

Anyway, I've just checked with Jolene who tells me the return shipping instructions for the defective unit have been sent out to the customer and we are waiting to get that unit back before going through the next steps.

Hoping we can get that defective unit back soon to look at and that Jolene can help us get this all sorted out to finally get RedDog a working unit.

Also, if anybody has been wondering, ASUS has been offering a refurbished G75VW replacement unit for this case (ASUS does not have a G75V model by the way, so that unit is probably a G75VW or possibly the G75VX) which was not (always?) accepted by RedDog from what I'm told, so it seems to have limited the options of ASUS Customer Service as well as contributed some to the delay as far as I can tell (but again, trying not to get too involved with this part).

RedDog
Level 7
I have not mentioned you cl-Albert since you have been the only person who has actually helped out in my case to get me to the right people, but looks like you have the wrong facts. So far I am still sitting here waiting for options. I just found out yet again Fedex (second time) is having difficulty with delivering the replacement I accepted which in fact was a G75V (picture is below). I sent in the replacement two weeks ago and still nothing.

FYI Everyone.

This is all stated in my first post and I do repeat.....
I did accept a refurbished G75VW unit back in May 2014, which finally got to me after FEDEX had issues, on the 24th of June 2014. I opened the package and it was not a G75VW, but a G75V (picture proof below). Within ten minutes i experienced horrible lag issues, freezing, and to top it all off a broken AC Adapter. Asus is a multi-million dollar company with the worst customer service on the market. Any other company would be able to fix this issue within two weeks.

Lets not forget we are going on month 8 soon.
I will not rest my case until this is take care of by Jolene or her higher ups.

p.s.
cl-Albert I think you should get more involved.

stren
Level 7
FWIW after my experience with the motherboard RMA process twice, I no longer consider Asus products as having a warranty. The motherboard techs look to find reasons they can blame you and deny your warranty rather than truly find the real problem. Sad because the motherboards are some of the best if not the best. However when I think I'll need a warranty, I buy elsewhere as I did with the X79 dark rather than buying a R4E BE. For anyone doubting my experience with Asus products I've owned (and still own most) of these boards: P5QPro, P6T Del, P6T Del 2, R3E (sold), R4E (three total, one dead, one sold), M5Gene, R4Gene, M6I (two, one dead). So yeah for laptops I wouldn't risk something that high value. FWIW I bought a retina macbookpro online recently, had some issues and called them up and the customer service was simply amazing, of course you pay for it in the price, but still.

Asus - Great products when they work, terrible customer service. There are plenty of threads on many forums of terrible RMA experiences.

Now just to be somewhat fair some of my friends have had very good experience with Asus GPU RMAs. There is definitely hit and miss with every companies RMA experience, however I feel like Asus's has a much higher percentage of misses.
Project Thief Build Log - Dual water cooling 3930/990x GTX580 Tri SLI monster rig build in progress
Workstation i7-3930x@4.9GHz/Rampge IV Extreme/2x8800GT/AX1200/32GB 2133CL9/2xX25E/C300 128Gb
Gaming - i7-990x@4.6GHz/Rampage III Extreme/ GTX580 3GB Tri SLI/Xonar Essence STX/AX1200/12GB 2000CL8

stren wrote:
FWIW after my experience with the motherboard RMA process twice, I no longer consider Asus products as having a warranty. The motherboard techs look to find reasons they can blame you and deny your warranty rather than truly find the real problem. Sad because the motherboards are some of the best if not the best. However when I think I'll need a warranty, I buy elsewhere as I did with the X79 dark rather than buying a R4E BE. For anyone doubting my experience with Asus products I've owned (and still own most) of these boards: P5QPro, P6T Del, P6T Del 2, R3E (sold), R4E (three total, one dead, one sold), M5Gene, R4Gene, M6I (two, one dead). So yeah for laptops I wouldn't risk something that high value. FWIW I bought a retina macbookpro online recently, had some issues and called them up and the customer service was simply amazing, of course you pay for it in the price, but still.

Asus - Great products when they work, terrible customer service. There are plenty of threads on many forums of terrible RMA experiences.

Now just to be somewhat fair some of my friends have had very good experience with Asus GPU RMAs. There is definitely hit and miss with every companies RMA experience, however I feel like Asus's has a much higher percentage of misses.

Thanks for sharing! Yes I also have a ton of friends that use Asus products for PC's, but this in not a GPU story, this a horrible customer service experience with one of their ''best'' laptops which is a total lemon with no result.

Just in today from Jolene at Customer Support......Basically they have no clue why the FEDEX package has not arrived at their facility. Sounds like thats the second time the past 2 months.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
RedDog wrote:

Just in today from Jolene at Customer Support......Basically they have no clue why the FEDEX package has not arrived at their facility. Sounds like thats the second time the past 2 months.

Unfortunately, I don't have the final say on this, so hopefully Jolene can sort this out soon for us and sorry again for the delay.
We may want to follow-up with Jolene if it drags on much longer though.

RedDog wrote:

I did accept a refurbished G75VW unit back in May 2014, which finally got to me after FEDEX had issues, on the 24th of June 2014. I opened the package and it was not a G75VW, but a G75V (picture proof below).

We can talk about this more or later if you're interested, but just wanted to repeat ASUS doesn't have a G75V model and it's just an abbreviation for the G75VW or possibly the G75VX.
You can try searching the ASUS Download site for the G75V to see what models show up.