cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I bought a new intel 6300 wireless kit for G74 but ..

Scoter
Level 7
I bought this kit and installed it with only one big problem. After installing the drivers from intel, my laptop recognize it, but it doesn't work. When I go to device manager I see it but with exclamation mark. I tried reinstalling the drivers but no luck.

I put back my old wireless adapter 😞

Any help would be appreciated. thank you ❤️
22 REPLIES 22

JRd1st
Level 12
Did you try enabling it with Wireless Console 3? (If you have that installed)
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Scoter
Level 7
No I dont have that. I did a clean install of win7 without all those bloat

Retired
Not applicable
I would try to use the wireless console software.

I needed wireless console + Atheros for my WIFI to work after a clean install.

First before installing replacement hardware you should go in Device Manager and uninstall the older driver for the hardware you are removing (Atheros Wireless). Then I would install the new hardware followed by the new driver.

If the 6300 is still not working you could give the wireless console software a shot. It is very minimal so I don't classify it as bloat software.

Just curious if you installed a 3rd antenna with your 6300? I am still on the fence between the 6300 or the Bigfoot wireless 1103 (if the antenna is easy to install). I don't use BT on my notebook so that is not a factor.

Cheers!

@Scoter - You should also uninstall the Atheros BT Suite since you will no longer have BT

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Scoter
Level 7
Thank you guys for helping.
I did a clean install just before installing it into my laptop. I didn't install atheros drivers until I gave up and put my old wireless.
I ll give wireless console a shot.
@Cypz. No I didn't use a third antenna.

grungeboy2
Level 10
using the third antenna is the whole point to using a 6300.

i think wireless console might be needed, unsure tho.

it is possible you got a bad card.

I just installed an Intel 6230 and you have to turn the Radio on AND Enable MyWiFi Technology from the icon in the system tray.

BTW grungeboy, another good reason to install an Intel WiFi is to get rid of the Atheros one, plus the Intel 6300 has 2x the data rate of the Atheros WITHOUT the third antenna.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

grungeboy wrote:
using the third antenna is the whole point to using a 6300.

i think wireless console might be needed, unsure tho.

it is possible you got a bad card.

I use the 6300, too, because it's a great card. But just to be clear, there's absolutely no point in adding the third antennae unless you are using an access point that supports three spatial streams. (The vast majority do not.) Again, this isn't a reason not to get the 6300, because it works great in two-stream networks as well, and has that upgradability built-in. But the third antenna in most networks is wasted.

JRd1st wrote:
BTW grungeboy, another good reason to install an Intel WiFi is to get rid of the Atheros one, plus the Intel 6300 has 2x the data rate of the Atheros WITHOUT the third antenna.

+1 Atheros cards are pretty bad.....