Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    ROG Enthusiast Array

I found some time to work on the pedestal. The poor thing had been left as a frame only for over a week:

First up- base added:

That leaves these bare spaces where the casters go (what a shocker!):

For some reason I had the standard casters on the case even though the TX10 comes with HD casters as default. Much as I would have liked the SD caster platform, I couldn't justify $180 on it when even the SD casters were working ok. But I went ahead and got a set of HD casters:

That's better. Now it is much easier to roll around in place and makes putting on things way easier too:

Now it's time to put on the powdercoated pieces. First up, the side panels:

I was set to save money and just have the outer sides powdercoated at first. But when I realized this wasn't going to cost as much as I though, I went with double side coating. Definitely made the right choice here I believe! Now let's add in the back and front panels and fit in a flexbay cover as well:

Hmmm.. I am glad I made that mock up in paint before. The black flexbay cover looks so out of place here:

Let's fix that up quick:

Much better. Now I know I promised close ups to better represent the powdercoat accurately, but without better lighting the camera just can't see what I can with my naked eyes. I went over to the local camera store and even they admitted that a table top "studio" was going to be my best bet instead of going big with studio lights and backdrops. So I am going to place an order for it and it should be here pretty soon. That will allow for a lot more freedom in taking component pictures, including a little something red from EVGA for benching.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Fun and educational build log. Keep up the awesome job !!

ROG Enthusiast Array

Thanks!

I have found this looks different in different light like the Blue Speckle earlier. When direct light hits it, the Speckle part is much more obvious and it looks more white in color with spots of black. When diffused light hits, it is more of a white-pale yellow. Under typical fluorescent bulb lighting, it looks more caramel. I am pretty sure the all the speckles do this.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I wish I could show better how it looks in person, the texture is also very unique and makes it very dist/moisture resistant. Here are the promised close-up shots:

Also worked on the doors and got them done:

I realized later than I had the handles put in the wrong way. No biggie though, took all of 10 seconds to correct. The powdercoaters did a great job masking all the threads and screws. The plexi went in no problem:

Time to screw it in!

I really like the implementation here, this way one can just buy the plexi window instead of buying the whole door. It looks great the other way round as seen here with the other door:

Now on to the main case. First up, the poor frame:

Let's screw in the pedestal and add in the back panels:

Before anything else get's done, something came up that brought back memories of 2011: A Space Odyssey:

If these were bigger and shone at night, it would be nightmare worthy. Good thing they are just 2 of the 4 vandal switches going in here:

Each switch is held in place by a O-ring and a screw nut:

All done! Now time to mount this in the case:

That fit in perfectly. A few minutes later, everything is in place. Here's the money shot (or at least as good of a money shot as I can get with this lighting anyway):

No, that's not it.. Let's try again:

Ah much better. The speckle is quite prominent in person, just nowhere as much as that mock up above. Let's see it from the side now. First up, Side 1:

Don't worry about the components in there, everything other than the GPUs is going on Side 2. Speaking of which:

The GF doesn't care at all about XXL window vs XL window so I decided to go ahead with the stock door as I got it. Finally the back:

None of this will really be seen so I didn't bother getting the motherboard tray done. I was also a bit paranoid about possible shorting issues- likely an unjustified paranoia. Anyway, the case exterior is done and now I can begin putting in other components!

ROG Enthusiast Array

So about those new Frozen-Q reservoirs:

Alex has also made a side port adapter for the new reservoirs in case people don't wish to use angled adapters:

On the note of sponsors, Mundi from IceModz is sending me some of his really long RGB LEDs with controllers to try out and use in the motherboard compartments here. He is also sending some acrylic tubing (10/12mm) as well. So I am pleased to have IceModz as a sponsor of this build:

The guy is really nice and down to earth. He has great prices and shipping is way cheaper than one expects it to be from Iceland. I have heard only good things about his lighting solutions so I will gladly test them out.

I also finally set up the "studio" I got from Amazon:

Definitely still a work in progress, I need to iron out the wrinkles in the backdrop sheets (that come in white, black, red and blue) and fix those lights better. I underestimated how much space this would take- my dining table downstairs barely fits it. The lights (bought separate) are really nice- maybe too bright actually. The softboxes don't diffuse them enough. This is what the light looks like compared to an ordinary CFL:

Perhaps the black back drop would have suited this better, but you get the idea. These lights get hot quickly, so I wouldn't recommend leaving them on for extended periods of time. Luckily each softbox comes with a rocker switch. I am also thinking of having a flash behind the box and controlling it wirelessly if needed. Anyone have suggestions that may be useful here?

On the same lighting note, BitFenix sent along some of their products to check out and use if I want:

I am going to make a lighting overview comprising a bunch of products and then go with the ones I like best. Anyone have specific requests with the BitFenix Fury 750G as far as pictures or tests go?

Thanks to BitFenix for sponsoring this build also:

ROG Enthusiast Array

Ok, so this is mostly an unboxing of some parts. Here's what a 140 x 38mm "Yate Loon" fan looks like:

The quotes in there because these aren't the same version that Petra sold, or even those bought directly from Yate Loon. They run a little slower (1250 rpm max) but at $1.40 each I am not complaining. This is how it looks next to a Swiftech MCX12-XP and Phobya G-Changer 120mm radiator:

These fans are monsters, having a molex input (w/passthrough) for power. The Aquaero 6 could easily power 1 of these, but I haven't tried to see if all 9 I have can run off a single channel with needing the molex input. They move a decent amount of air- nothing close to a Corsair SP120 HPE or NB-eloop B12-4 at full speed. Noise wise, they are about the same as a SP120 QE and slightly louder than an NB-eloop B12-2.

I then opened up the BitFenix care package. They included 2 of their aluminum case badges too:

Nope, these aren't free and nor do they come with their products like the PSUs. Not sure about the cases though! Next up, the Alchemy LED strips:

They sent me 4 x 60mm strips of white LEDs.

Let's see them lit up:

That doesn't really help much. What about a black background?

Ok, that's better. Let's turn off the softboxes and see how these illuminate the interior. I have 2 strips hooked up here:

Not too shabby. With all 4 strips, I bet it is enough for a single TX10 motherboard compartment

I have more lighting samples coming in and will do a small comparison before deciding on what to go with. Next up, the Fury 750G:

At this point, I saw the accessory box in there and figured that was a nice touch to help store unused cables. After all, this was a semi-modular design PSU with only the 24 pin cable attached. But then:

So much for that! The modular cables are bundled in 2 sets and is accompanied by a 14 AWG power cord:

They also give 5 screws in case you lose one for whatever reason. I wish these were black but not a deal breaker.

Here's the PSU itself now:

So you either go fan down and get the BitFenix logo on top + side lettering, or go fan up and get the spec sheet in typical cases. Another thing to complicate that decision is the fact that the motherboard cable is all the way to one side. So depending on how the PSU is placed, the cable may not be long enough.

A look at the internals is best seen from the review over at TechPowerUp, I won't be opening this up. But I did get a PSU tester so I will review performance later.

Finally, a little something red from Gunslinger:

Ok enough of the teasers. It is the hard to find EVBot from EVGA:

This will be pretty useful when benching, especially if/when I do go subzero.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I finally am done with 1 NDA only to have another pop up real soon. I got the new EK Supremacy Evo which I spent the last 2 weeks testing (among other things):

I made a review of it here for anyone interested: http://www.overclock.net/t/1509787/m...emacy-evo/0_50

I was hoping my order from PPC had the small LEDs in it but nope. I wanted to show the Plexi top with the locations for 4 LEDs in it. I now have a bunch of 10/12mm acrylic tubing thanks to IceModz as well as some more stuff that will be shown soon. I also got a few EK and Bitspower 10/12mm fittings for these along with a sample piece of the Alphacool chrome tubing and fittings- they are surprisingly good. I will show them really soon once the Corsair 380T NDA is up.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I got a Haswell family portrait done: 2 core, 4 core and 8 core

Here's big daddy:

ROG Enthusiast Array

Update time (although probably not one you were expecting since I have not yet finalized on my x99 motherboard and RAM):

Another sponsor? I must be the luckiest guy in the world:

I was speaking to Will, the CEO/CTO at Hardware Labs, about a few things in general and then realized my hotbox would be a great place to test out radiators. One email later, he had 2 of his new Nemesis radiators on the way to me:

A GTX 560 (No, not an old Nvidia GPU) and a GTS 480. We had previously agreed on a GTX 480 and a GTX 560 but he was extremely confident on the GTS 480 being able to beat out other 480/560mm radiators and sent this as an intended replacement for my SR 1 560 radiator. The few reviews out there all seem to agree that these rads pull a lot of weight in performance compared to larger radiators so I am pretty eager to test these out soon.

Here's a look at the GTS 480 (GTX 560 barely fit in my light box):

Bonus- A terrible video looking at the two rads stacked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jXJPMO0BOU

I will do a full review soon.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3