RAMPAGE IV reading over voltages!!! and get past bios!!! pls help

TehMaDDaNgLeR
Level 7
i7-4820k CPU
Rampage IV Extreme MOBO
32GB g.skill trident x 2400mhz RAM
290x single GPU
Corsair AX 1200
GPU and CPU are liquid cooled with XSPC kit.. currently all overclocks are off due to problems

I custom built this PC back in January. It's been running great for 6 months up until 3 days ago. Just moved into a new house set up the PC in the basement. I had the PC idling for a day or two before i got to finally game. After 3-4 hours of playing D3 it crashed on me so i booted back up only to cash within minutes then within seconds up until it wouldn't boot windows at all. After playing with the power (unplugging and what not) i finally got it to reboot only to be told "Power supply surges detected during the previous....." "Asus anti-surge war triggered...."and "CPU over voltage error!". So next i went into the bios to find out anything i could. Under the monitoring tab i found my CPU voltage is at 1.660v and in red, the 3.3v is reading at 3.008v, the 5v is reading at 10.08, and the 12v is at 21.120v. (all other voltages appear normal). My next step was to test the PSU with a multimeter and all voltages were within 3 % of their tolerances. I'm clueless as to what i need to troubleshoot next. I've already pulled the CPU off and inspected and reseated it. I've tested each ram stick individually and all are fine. If someone could help me out it would be great as ive been reading every forum i can find with similar problems but i still havent resolved my problem. Ive also flashed 3 different bios', none helping my situation.
37 REPLIES 37

kawasakizx10rr
Level 7
WTF harsh man. i assume you have done a Cmos clear . and have you tried to boot with the second bios ? can you just press - and lower the voltages that way LOL i wonder silly question tho. i have never seen that error. i think they would all be toast if that was the voltages ? so it all happened from moving it to the basement ? and the power is stable down there too as you said as is the psu. but stil try with a new psu as my friends psu died on many occasions from transporting his pc most of the time only the fans and light would work . but you get into the bios i suppose that it could be different on what outputs fail tho so your 12v and 5v , vcore could be duds.But maybe the draw is raising the amps or volts when it gets load. try a new psu . after a Cmos clear and the second bios . got any mates with pc,s to test ther psu on your pc ?

kawasakizx10rr
Level 7
get a new psu

That thing could be waiting to kill the rest of your pc. As i just spoke to my mate and he confirmed that the voltages where bang on if only .1v out max and that psu again died on transport a few days later when on load. He was my old flat mate and i tested the psu with him on my twins bros megger mft1720 . not on load just at the tips on each cable. So im sure that when it's under load that's when it becomes unstable voltages.

one last thing the 24 pin is on right ?
As i read a post on the bf4 forums about a 24 pin un clipping last week. and one just now on yahoo questions. it made me wonder ? 🙂

i have another PSU sitting here from a friend.. only problem is he replaced it because he was having issues a year ago (he changed the PSU not know if it ever was the actual problem tho). On the tester its showing good but again thats not under load. Is there any way i can put a load on the PSU to test?

kawasakizx10rr wrote:
get a new psu

That thing could be waiting to kill the rest of your pc. As i just spoke to my mate and he confirmed that the voltages where bang on if only .1v out max and that psu again died on transport a few days later when on load. He was my old flat mate and i tested the psu with him on my twins bros megger mft1720 . not on load just at the tips on each cable. So im sure that when it's under load that's when it becomes unstable voltages.

one last thing the 24 pin is on right ?
As i read a post on the bf4 forums about a 24 pin un clipping last week. and one just now on yahoo questions. it made me wonder ? 🙂

Ya the 24 pin is def. on right. and that's where i conducted my tests through. Ive spent like 8 hours messing around with this problem.. i appreciate having another mind helping out.. thanks... at this point and terrified its something so simple that I'm overlooking

kawasakizx10rr
Level 7
get a new psu

That thing could be waiting to kill the rest of your pc. As i just spoke to my mate and he confirmed that the voltages where bang on if only .1v out max and that psu again died on transport a few days later when on load. he was my old flat mate and i tested the psu with him on my twins megger mft1720 not on load just at the tips on each cable. So im sure that when it's under load that's when it becomes unstable voltages

kawasakizx10rr
Level 7
the only thing i can think of to test the psu better is make it turn on with the green n black jumed together with a paper clip google it . then plug in as many fans and usb stuff as possible , cd drives ect . but its the 24 pin that is running the 5v and stuff so to test that a board is needed but hopefully it will arise if they share the same rail on the psu

TehMaDDaNgLeR
Level 7
just retested both PSU's and they both run fine on the multimeter and in the computer. Unfortunately My mobo is still reading the same voltages in the monitoring tab ( on both PSU's ) so now i know its definitely not a PSU issue. Ive also just cleared cmos again and reloaded the lastest bios

kawasakizx10rr
Level 7
oh dear harsh i don't no what to say next . pls keep me posted tho . r keep thinking what to try next . whats the rma warranty time span ? and you tried bios chip 2 yet ?

ive even tried disabling the monitoring on those problem voltages and disabling surge protecting and its still giving me the over voltage and power surge error.. im beat lol