cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buzzing/Humming Noise Coming from G750JS-TS71

kraver0
Level 7
My notebook has this faint buzzing/humming/beeping noise coming from the center between the keyboard and the screen.

This notebook is only 3 days old, and I just started noticing this noise today. It's not the fan nor the hard drive. The sounds are completely separate from the buzzing/beeping noises.

Is this normal?
22 REPLIES 22

hmscott
Level 12
kraver0 wrote:
My notebook has this faint buzzing/humming noise coming from the center between the keyboard and the screen.
This notebook is only 3 days old, and I just started noticing this noise today. It's not the fan nor the hard drive. The sounds are completely separate from the buzzing noises.
Is this normal?

kraver0, do you have the keyboard backlight on? Does the buzzing go away when you turn off the keyboard backlight? Is the buzzing there at all brightness settings of the keyboard backlight?

If not the keyboard backlight, same questions about the screen brightness - is the buzzing less / more at different brightness levels?

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Is there a bumble bee in your compy? ':x

Or is it your speakers getting some feedback / interference?!

Have you tried to:

--turn on MUTE on your volume via FN + F10

--unplug your laptop from power and listen if problem persists

--turn off screen via FN + F7 and listen if problem persists

--confirm it isn't your hard drive (mechanical)

--run a benchmark (put under load) to see if the buzzing gets louder

--turn the computer on (cold boot) and listen if it happens from the start

--turned the laptop around and listened closely to the fan holes, to check if it's the fan

--felt the laptop all over to test if it's a vibration, or a sound emitted from an audio device

---- If none of these work to your avail. I suggest putting a pot plant on top of your compy, to lure the bumble bee away! ❤️ :3

Remember, do not hurt the bumble bee, or I will hurt yooou!! >;x

kraver0
Level 7
Okay.

The noise only happens when my notebook is on IDLE.
When it's on load, the fans start up so I probably can't hear it.

It's not the brightness nor the keyboard backlight.

I thought it was coming from the speakers at first, but I'm not too sure anymore. Mute did not change anything, and some of the potential causes of the noises you guys mentioned is not it either.

I bought this laptop from a retail TigerDirect store, and they don't have these in stock anymore. So, I would have to return it for a refund, and I doubt they won't charge me a 15% restocking fee for an issue such as this.

Gah, this is why I hate buying new PCs. Problems/issues Everytime. Why can't I ever get one PC without any defects.

kraver0 wrote:
Okay.

The noise only happens when my notebook is on IDLE.
When it's on load, the fans start up so I probably can't hear it.

It's not the brightness nor the keyboard backlight.

I thought it was coming from the speakers at first, but I'm not too sure anymore. Mute did not change anything, and some of the potential causes of the noises you guys mentioned is not it either.

kraver0, does it stop when you pull the AC power, and run on battery?

Conduction can cause disk spin noise to migrate and come out at different spots... that is a bit far, but there are cables that run from the drive bays and come out under the motherboard around that area, it might be a slight vibration and a pull tag buzzing against plastic.

I don't know what your disk layout is, but if you have 2 drives, try pulling the 2nd bay drive, and power up and see if that was it.

hmscott wrote:
kraver0, does it stop when you pull the AC power, and run on battery?

Conduction can cause disk spin noise to migrate and come out at different spots... that is a bit far, but there are cables that run from the drive bays and come out under the motherboard around that area, it might be a slight vibration and a pull tag buzzing against plastic.

I don't know what your disk layout is, but if you have 2 drives, try pulling the 2nd bay drive, and power up and see if that was it.

Will my manufacturer's warranty get voided if I open the laptop?

My drive on the bottom right corner makes this crackling sound, and what you said about conduction may be right. However, I can hear the hard drive spinning sound and the buzzing noise simultaneously at different frequencies.

I also tried it in battery mode, but that's not it either.

Also, the sound is not solely a buzzing sound.

It's a mix between beeping/humming/static, and a little buzzing. I don't know how else to describe it. I apologize.

It sounds more like:
"Bpbpbpbpb.pbppbpbpb..pbpbpbpb" and it's a continuous sound that doesn't seem to stop unless I restart my PC or go back to the login screen.

After I restart my PC and go back to the desktop, the sound doesn't occur until 2-3 minutes later, it starts coming back.

kraver0 wrote:
Will my manufacturer's warranty get voided if I open the laptop?
My drive on the bottom right corner makes this crackling sound, and what you said about conduction may be right. However, I can hear the hard drive spinning sound and the buzzing noise simultaneously at different frequencies.
I also tried it in battery mode, but that's not it either.

kraver0 wrote:
Also, the sound is not solely a buzzing sound.
It's a mix between beeping/humming/static, and a little buzzing. I don't know how else to describe it. I apologize.
It sounds more like:
"Bpbpbpbpb.pbppbpbpb..pbpbpbpb" and it's a continuous sound that doesn't seem to stop unless I restart my PC or go back to the login screen.
After I restart my PC and go back to the desktop, the sound doesn't occur until 2-3 minutes later, it starts coming back.

kraver0, the drive bays are ok, and the memory slots on the bottom, anything you can access through the bottom access panel is ok. Pulling the screen and the top panel to get at the top memory slots / motherboard area is a no-no.

It almost sounds like the drive is going idle, turn off / parked head / sleep mode, you could try setting the turn off time to never ( 0 ).

And, disable APM with quiethdd, with these settings in the quiethdd.ini file

FirstRun = 0
AC_APM_Value = 255
DC_APM_Value = 255
AC_AAM_Value = 254
DC_AAM_Value = 254
AAMEnabled = 1
APMEnabled = 1

quiethdd download
https://sites.google.com/site/quiethdd/

hmscott wrote:
kraver0, the drive bays are ok, and the memory slots on the bottom, anything you can access through the bottom access panel is ok. Pulling the screen and the top panel to get at the top memory slots / motherboard area is a no-no.

It almost sounds like the drive is going idle, turn off / parked head / sleep mode, you could try setting the turn off time to never ( 0 ).

And, disable APM with quiethdd, with these settings in the quiethdd.ini file

FirstRun = 0
AC_APM_Value = 255
DC_APM_Value = 255
AC_AAM_Value = 254
DC_AAM_Value = 254
AAMEnabled = 1
APMEnabled = 1

quiethdd download
https://sites.google.com/site/quiethdd/

I'm currently at class, but I will definitely try this out.

It may be a coincidence, but I noticed when the hard drive goes idle, that's when I start hearing the buzzing noise.
But I'm not sure though.

Thanks for your help.

kraver0
Level 7
Actually.. When I turned off the screen via FN + F7, the noise completely disappeared.
Wow, thank you Darnassus for narrowing that down.

But.. What does that mean?

Is my screen defective?