cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this possible???? Syncing Files Between Notebook and Desktop?

Bgallodoro24
Level 7
So here's my delima....

As of now I have a g750 with an 860m. I bring it to work everyday and I love it. I want to build me a pc at home mainly cause I just want to build one lol. I have unlimited cox internet at work and I use my 4g lte hotspot at home which is obviously limited. Right now I do all my downloading to my laptop whether it be games, patches, or updates at work. I'm wondering if there is away to transfer or save or whatever any updates etc I need for my desktop from work to the desktop. I only want to use my wifi for gaming which works great. If this can be done easily then I will proceed with build. I'm hoping this is the case.
17 REPLIES 17

dblkk
Level 7
Yes, for files wise, just use microsofts onedrive. Just have it set, if it isn't already, as the default save location. Then anything you save will automatically be synced to your onedrive account, and any computer with that account and running onedrive will have it synced to it automatically. I have it set up for my windows 8 phone, pc, surface pro, and my laptop.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
DropBox. Or make a share folder on network on the desktop

Clintlgm
Level 14
Well since you have a slow Internet at home why don't you set up a hard wired network at home then transfer the files via hard wired LAN.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

pafflick
Level 9
If I get your point correctly, you want to avoid using your Internet connection at home due to the limitations, right? In that case all above suggestions whether it's OneDrive or Dropbox (I prefer OneDrive BTW) are not a solution for your problem, since both require syncing files via Internet. Unless you live in area close to the company where you work, to be able to connect to their WiFi (which is rather unlikely) you have to find another way of moving files from one computer to another (USB key or wireless data transfer that doesn't involve the Internet connection).

pafflick wrote:
If I get your point correctly, you want to avoid using your Internet connection at home due to the limitations, right? In that case all above suggestions whether it's OneDrive or Dropbox (I prefer OneDrive BTW) are not a solution for your problem, since both require syncing files via Internet. Unless you live in area close to the company where you work, to be able to connect to their WiFi (which is rather unlikely) you have to find another way of moving files from one computer to another (USB key or wireless data transfer that doesn't involve the Internet connection).

You are correct my friend. I want to be able to install updates on desktop using no internet.

Bgallodoro24
Level 7
Guys I could really use some help with this cause I would like to know what my options are.

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
Google Drive is what I use, and I LOVE it - used to be that and Ubuntu One, but that's gone now 😞

Z

Bgallodoro24
Level 7
Will my desktop have to be connected to internet to sync the files. I guess what I'm asking is if I download a file at work is there a way to receive that file without connecting to internet.

Dcite
Level 7
Assuming the files you get are files which can be seen from Windows Explorer.. have you considered
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/
It needs to be installed on both computers and only does anything at all when you run it.