Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    47

    Is Samsung 840 EVO SSD already in GPT mode?

    Must I convert this SSD into gpt mode first or it is already in gpt mode so I can easily perform win 8 install on this ssd without converting it first?

  2. #2
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    7

    ...mine was in GPT by default

  3. #3
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    47

    so you dont have to format the drive first right when you want to move your os from the hdd to this ssd with backtracker?

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Reputation
    44
    Posts
    5,357

    Quote Originally Posted by LeonardoTan View Post
    so you dont have to format the drive first right when you want to move your os from the hdd to this ssd with backtracker?
    Backtracker blows away any partitioning on the flash drive, creates the partition it needs, and makes a bootable flash drive to recover your G750 back to the configuration it had when it came out of the box.

    Before you do the restore on your G750 with the Flash drive, if you have any personal data, applications or other changes made to the disks since the G750 came out of the box, on either Bay 1 or Bay 2 drives, you need to back up that data onto an external disk, or back it up to the Bay 2 drive and pull the Bay 2 drive out before doing the restore from the Asus Backtracker Flash drive recovery is run.

    And, I just checked, the Backtracker Flash partition created is a FAT32 partition:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Backtracker Flash Partition.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	38448

    When you use the Backtracker Flash recovery to restore, it builds a GPT partition table on the boot drive:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gpt bootable drive backtracker created.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	38450
    (ignore the D label, I am booting on the RAID0)

    You only need to convert an SSD to GPT when it wasn't processed with the Asus Backtracker recovery - like when doing an install from a Microsoft Windows install DVD/flash drive. It needs to be GPT for UEFI bios support.
    Last edited by hmscott; 07-03-2014 at 06:28 AM.

  5. #5
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    47

    Quote Originally Posted by hmscott View Post
    Backtracker blows away any partitioning on the flash drive, creates the partition it needs, and makes a bootable flash drive to recover your G750 back to the configuration it had when it came out of the box.

    Before you do the restore on your G750 with the Flash drive, if you have any personal data, applications or other changes made to the disks since the G750 came out of the box, on either Bay 1 or Bay 2 drives, you need to back up that data onto an external disk, or back it up to the Bay 2 drive and pull the Bay 2 drive out before doing the restore from the Asus Backtracker Flash drive recovery is run.

    And, I just checked, the Backtracker Flash partition created is a FAT32 partition:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Backtracker Flash Partition.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	38448

    When you use the Backtracker Flash recovery to restore, it builds a GPT partition table on the boot drive:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gpt bootable drive backtracker created.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	38450
    (ignore the D label, I am booting on the RAID0)

    You only need to convert an SSD to GPT when it wasn't processed with the Asus Backtracker recovery - like when doing an install from a Microsoft Windows install DVD/flash drive. It needs to be GPT for UEFI bios support.
    Ok thanks, can I also use a recovery software that is provided by windows to migrate my os? Which is better backtracker or windows recovery tool?

  6. #6
    ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Reputation
    44
    Posts
    5,357

    Quote Originally Posted by LeonardoTan View Post
    Ok thanks, can I also use a recovery software that is provided by windows to migrate my os? Which is better backtracker or windows recovery tool?
    Asus Backtracker, or Asus would have recommended Windows Recovery , and not bothered building Asus Backtracker. The Asus Backtracker gets all the drivers, configs, and installs done for you then all you need are Windows updates and Asus driver updates.

    There is no known advantage of doing a Microsoft Windows install over using the Asus OEM Windows build. Except the joy of doing it all yourself from scratch.

    There are no performance advantages of one over the other, and if you delete the Asus tools you don't need after recovery, no negatives either.

    The only Asus stuff I delete is:

    Asus Splendid - I like the native color of the panel - and making / using custom ICC profiles.

    Asus Power4Gear - it doesn't really help, and gets in the way by forcing it's battery power saver plan over any I manually set. Uninstalling, I use Windows Balanced Power Plan, and High Performance plan, and there is a Power Saver plan for battery use too.

    Asus Live Update - not that much comes through here, and I don't need another service running. I check the Asus Support Download areas myself. You could try it after the restore, and see what updates it provides - I do it all manually so haven't kept up with it's usefulness.

    Asus Vibe - Asus estore, check it out and it might have stuff you want.

    AsusDVD - I have my own Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultimate license.

    Asus Gaming Mouse - I don't have an Asus gaming mouse, and for some uninstalling it has stopped BSDO's - I never had any.

    Cyberlink Power2Go - I already have a license.

    Sticking with Windows 8.1 is also a good idea. Make sure you get all the current Windows 8.1 updates.

    G750 support areas - The JM download area has the latest of all the G750, with JS/JZ next, the
    G750JW/JX/JH download areas are out of date:
    http://support.asus.com/Search.aspx?...750&ps=10&pn=1

    Here is the latest Notebook Audio - for G750 => Realtek driver package Version V6.0.1.7235
    http://support.asus.com/Download.asp...&m=Audio&os=30

    Here are the latest Notebook Bluetooth drivers
    http://support.asus.com/Download.asp...=3&ft=27&os=30

    Here are the latest Notebook WLAN drivers
    http://support.asus.com/Download.asp...en&m=WLAN&os=3

    Here are the latest Notebook LAN drivers
    http://support.asus.com/download.asp...hashedid=n%2fa

    Notebook Asus SmartGesture
    http://support.asus.com/download.asp...hashedid=n%2fa

    Notebook ATK Package
    http://support.asus.com/download.asp...e&hashedid=n/a

    Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards, currently at release 2.6.4.0 for the G750JW/JX/JH
    http://support.asus.com/download.asp...s&hashedid=n/a

    Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops, currently at release v1.0.9 for the G750JS/JM/JZ
    http://support.asus.com/download.asp.../> <br /> %2fa

    Here are the Asus posted VGA drivers, it's better to get the latest from Nvidia - currently 340.43,
    except for the JM/JS/JZ owners you probably want to keep using 332.60 to avoid random crashes - as
    reported by a lot of people.
    http://support.asus.com/Download.asp...=VGA&p=3&s=111
    Last edited by hmscott; 07-03-2014 at 07:41 AM.

  7. #7
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    47

    Quote Originally Posted by hmscott View Post
    Asus Backtracker, or Asus would have recommended Windows Recovery , and not bothered building Asus Backtracker. The Asus Backtracker gets all the drivers, configs, and installs done for you then all you need are Windows updates and Asus driver updates.

    There is no known advantage of doing a Microsoft Windows install over using the Asus OEM Windows build. Except the joy of doing it all yourself from scratch.

    There are no performance advantages of one over the other, and if you delete the Asus tools you don't need after recovery, no negatives either.

    The only Asus stuff I delete is:

    Asus Splendid - I like the native color of the panel - and making / using custom ICC profiles.

    Asus Power4Gear - it doesn't really help, and gets in the way by forcing it's battery power saver plan over any I manually set. Uninstalling, I use Windows Balanced Power Plan, and High Performance plan, and there is a Power Saver plan for battery use too.

    Asus Live Update - not that much comes through here, and I don't need another service running. I check the Asus Support Download areas myself. You could try it after the restore, and see what updates it provides - I do it all manually so haven't kept up with it's usefulness.

    Asus Vibe - Asus estore, check it out and it might have stuff you want.

    AsusDVD - I have my own Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultimate license.

    Asus Gaming Mouse - I don't have an Asus gaming mouse, and for some uninstalling it has stopped BSDO's - I never had any.

    Cyberlink Power2Go - I already have a license.

    Sticking with Windows 8.1 is also a good idea. Make sure you get all the current Windows 8.1 updates.

    G750 support areas - The JM download area has the latest of all the G750, with JS/JZ next, the
    G750JW/JX/JH download areas are out of date:
    http://support.asus.com/Search.aspx?...750&ps=10&pn=1

    Here is the latest Notebook Audio - for G750 => Realtek driver package Version V6.0.1.7235
    http://support.asus.com/Download.asp...&m=Audio&os=30

    Here are the latest Notebook Bluetooth drivers
    http://support.asus.com/Download.asp...=3&ft=27&os=30

    Here are the latest Notebook WLAN drivers
    http://support.asus.com/Download.asp...en&m=WLAN&os=3

    Here are the latest Notebook LAN drivers
    http://support.asus.com/download.asp...hashedid=n%2fa

    Notebook Asus SmartGesture
    http://support.asus.com/download.asp...hashedid=n%2fa

    Notebook ATK Package
    http://support.asus.com/download.asp...e&hashedid=n/a

    Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards, currently at release 2.6.4.0 for the G750JW/JX/JH
    http://support.asus.com/download.asp...s&hashedid=n/a

    Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops, currently at release v1.0.9 for the G750JS/JM/JZ
    http://support.asus.com/download.asp... <br /> %2fa

    Here are the Asus posted VGA drivers, it's better to get the latest from Nvidia - currently 340.43,
    except for the JM/JS/JZ owners you probably want to keep using 332.60 to avoid random crashes - as
    reported by a lot of people.
    http://support.asus.com/Download.asp...=VGA&p=3&s=111
    First of all, thank you. And how would you suggest to perform this?

    So here is what I have in mind:
    1. I put the System Recovery Image into a USB with ASUS Backtracker
    2. Power off the laptop, battery remove, HHD swap with my new fresh SSD from the box
    3. Then power on

    Simple as that right?

  8. #8
    ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Reputation
    44
    Posts
    5,357

    Quote Originally Posted by LeonardoTan View Post
    First of all, thank you. And how would you suggest to perform this?

    So here is what I have in mind:
    1. I put the System Recovery Image into a USB with ASUS Backtracker
    2. Power off the laptop, battery remove, HHD swap with my new fresh SSD from the box
    3. Then power on
    Simple as that right?
    LeonardoTan, yes but also pull the 2nd bay drive too, if you have anything saved on it, because Backtracker will blow away the existing partitions and make new ones.

    What is an HHD? HD = Hard disk HDD = Hard Disk Drive
    Last edited by hmscott; 07-03-2014 at 08:56 AM.

  9. #9
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    47

    Quote Originally Posted by hmscott View Post
    LeonardoTan, yes but also pull the 2nd bay drive too, if you have anything saved on it, because Backtracker will blow away the existing partitions and make new ones.

    What is an HHD? HD = Hard disk
    My mistake, I mean HDD.
    hmscott thank you very much for your help!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •