cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build Advice needed!

Jay2Play
Level 7
Hi. I am currently in the process of building a new gaming/streaming PC setup. I really want to know the max I can get out of my current purchases and if you think there would be any compatibility issues.

Purchased list
Intel Core i7 4960X - Purchased
AX1200i Corsair PSU - Purchased
Thermaltake Level 10 Snow Edition - Purchased
Corsair H100i CPU Liquid Cooler - Purchased
Asus ROG RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION Motherboard Core i7 Socket 2011 X79 Extended ATX RAID Gigabit LAN - Just Purchased it

Currently looking at to purchase list
Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM 32 GB 4x8GB DDR3 1866Mhz PC3-15000 - CL9 - 1.5 V - unbuffered - non-ECC - ? This is a Dual Channel Kit

I want to know if the current CPU is compatible with the Asus ROG RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION Motherboard Core i7 Socket 2011 X79 Extended ATX RAID Gigabit LAN and would I run into problems with the selected RAM. If you think I should upgrade something please let me know thanks.

Much Appreciated for your advice and guidance :).
Current System Build:
Intel 4960X i7 OC 4.9GHz
ROG Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
4x 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB DDR3 1866MHz 14900 F3-1866C9Q-32GZH 9-9-9-24
Asus GeForce GTX 770 x3 SLi
C: Crucial M4 512GB SSD
😧 Samsung 840 512GB SSD
E: 4TB SSHD
Corsair ATX 1200i
Corsair H100i CPU Cooler
Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition.
22 REPLIES 22

abvolt
Level 11
That cpu will do very well only wish I could afford an x series cpu, everything else looks awesome..
Current: MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium | 7700K | G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 16Gb | 960 EVO 500Gb | Intel 730 480Gb | Seasonic 1000 Platinum |
NZXT X62 | Acer XB270HU | EVGA 1080 ti FTW3

Secondary: R4BE | 4930K | G.SKILL 2400 16GB | Corsair AX 1500i
Intel 730 240GB + 480GB | EVGA GTX780 ti sli kpe | Custom H20

Jay2Play
Level 7
and the kit you mentioned is cheaper and a Quad Channel kit compared to the Dual channel kit I selected.
Current System Build:
Intel 4960X i7 OC 4.9GHz
ROG Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
4x 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB DDR3 1866MHz 14900 F3-1866C9Q-32GZH 9-9-9-24
Asus GeForce GTX 770 x3 SLi
C: Crucial M4 512GB SSD
😧 Samsung 840 512GB SSD
E: 4TB SSHD
Corsair ATX 1200i
Corsair H100i CPU Cooler
Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition.

Jay2Play wrote:
and the kit you mentioned is cheaper and a Quad Channel kit compared to the Dual channel kit I selected.

The kit you selected is quad channel also.

4 is divisible by 4 and 2, so it's a quad and dual channel kit...

kkn
Level 14
lga2011 socket is a quad channel system.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yes, the 4960X and the Rampage IV Black Edition are made for each other... will be a great system and the Ripjaws Z series or Dominator Platinums both work great on this platform.

As you spotted however, you have to get a quad channel kit of the Dominators. They are listed as "Quad/Dual" or "Dual". If only Dual stay clear because combining kits to make quad channel can give lots of problems on X79.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
If only Dual stay clear because combining kits to make quad channel can give lots of problems on X79.

Why?

There's no physical difference between a memory stick bought singly/dual channel/quad channel kit because dual/triple/quad/etc is memory controller architecture on the motherboard.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Well, I'm afraid that is not true and I don't want anyone to be confused or mislead into making bad decisions with their hardware purchases.

RAM kits are binned. The chips that make up one kit are sorted to work together at certain rated values. If you try to combine kits you are on your own...all manufacturers state this...kits are not guaranteed to work together and very often don't. Making combined kits work together often means relaxing frequency and/or timings to the point where the RAM no longer has the performance you wanted from it.

You can of course buy a quad channel kit and run it as two dual channel kits since the chips are all going to play nice together...

Gorman
Level 12
We aren't talking about buying different chips here, we are talking about buying identical kits. For example the 4 stick kit that OP posted which is labeled 'dual channel', or buying two identical 'dual channel' kits.

I think when you are talking about combining kits you mean different chips, not different kits.

Like I said there's no physical difference between a memory stick bought singly/dual channel/quad channel kit because dual/triple/quad/etc is memory controller architecture on the motherboard.

So there is no point in going for a 4 stick 'quad channel' kit over a 4 stick 'dual channel' kit because there is physically no difference.