cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering a G74SX, need honest unbiased opinions after reading ALOT of complaints

Retired
Not applicable
Hey all

Next week I'm most likely buying an Asus G74 SX for college (I know what you're thinking, a gaming laptop, for college?! Let's say I need alot of graphic power for the things I do ) but I'm a bit worried..

On paper the laptop seems absolutely amazing, especially for it's price. But after digging around on the internet a bit I found alot of complains about a wide range of hardware malfunctions, and alot of issues with asus customer support on top of the breakdowns..

Now I was wondering, how valid are those complaints? Is there a high percentage of G74SX laptops that break down prematurely?

Part of me knows that in a way it's normal to read more complaints than good reviews, since people won't post about how well a device works, but they will raise hell if it malfunctions, but on the other hand, there ARE alot of complaints floating around on the internet, and considering the fact this model only got released recently I wouldn't be surprised if there were some initial problems with the model. This is why I am asking for honest and unbiased opinions.

The main reason I'm very worried is the fact this is a HUGE invesment for me, I had to get a student loan just to be able to afford this laptop, so if it ends up breaking down I'm royally screwed since this laptop is a must for college... The specific model I'm buying is an ASUS G74SX-TZ019V. (http://www.laptopshop.be/product/142542/asus-g74sx-tz019v.html is a link to the specs, I know it's in dutch, but most data speaks for itself:) The specs can be found at the bottom of the page)

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!
26 REPLIES 26

JRd1st
Level 12
I seriously love the my G74sx-A1, but be ready to do a clean install of Win7 Home Premium and get all new drivers from sources other than Asus before you form an opinion. Only when you have the software squared away can you determine if the hardware is operating correctly.

You can get more up to date drivers from here - The Goddess of ROG's Driver Thread

When you have your G74, come back here if you need any assistance. 😄
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

As with some other Asus laptops, like the previous-generation G73, there appear to be assembly issues with at least some G74s. If you have read about the erratic touchpad problem, this is (IMO) entirely the result of careless assembly techniques. The Sentelic touchpad used in the G74SX is actually very nice, and its driver is very full-featured. But the way they install it can cause static build-up and discharge problems, resulting in frustrating, erratic behavior. (To be very clear, this CANNOT be resolved with drivers or BIOS updates. It's a hardware issue.) Unfortunately, I can't tell you the chances that you'll get one of the problem units. It appears to me, at least from reading the early owner reviews and anecdotal feedback, that it's probably going to be as common as the touchpad problems in the G73. (I personally got two in a row that had the touchpad problem....they were manufactured about two months apart.)

The good news is that it's fixable. The bad news is that you probably can't rely on Asus 100% to do it (they still don't even acknowledge the 1-1/2 yr old touchpad issue in the G73), so the one sure-fire way to get it done right is to go in there and do it yourself. This is not difficult if you're comfortable taking laptops apart, but it's not something the casual user or technophobe should tackle.

As I'm sure you've already read, the G74 is not "portable" in any realistic way. If you actually need to use your laptop around campus, taking it to classes, the library, etc., everyday....well, lugging this thing would get old in a hurry. It's a desktop replacement.

Aside from those two caveats, I think the G74 is an outstanding computer. As already suggested, a clean Windows install is a good idea, though not absolutely necessary. (A clean install is always the first thing I do with any new computer.) It has beautiful "fit & finish," an amazingly-effective cooling system (considering there are no bottom vents), a fantastic full-sized keyboard layout with separated numerical keypad, and the best LED display I've yet seen in a laptop.

PS: I don't like the Atheros WLAN card Asus uses, so I replaced it with an Intel...about a $35 upgrade.

gg31hh
Level 7
Dude~!! Let me put ur mind in ease ... I got G74SX for more than 1 month now... n I do not see what ppl complaint about in their review to G74SX.

Look~!! If u like the look, if you aim for durability to your laptop (Im assuming it will last longer, since I put a stress test both in my G74 Graphic and CPU - n the temperature do not go over ~ 71,C); This G74SX is way to go. BEST COOLING SYSTEM EVER SEEN IN A LAPTOP~!!! N ITS COOLER THAN MY 5 FANS PC UNDER STRESS TEST.

All I know from years playing with electronic, Chips r still chips, circuit still a circuit; and plastic are still plastic - Sometime you are unlucky to get bad product (n thats what the warranty r there for) (ALSO IT IS VERY VERY UNLIKELY TO GET BAD PRODUCT - IF YOU DO, I WOULD SUGGEST U GO LOTTERY. ULL HAS A HIGH CHANCE OF WINNING);

But overall, if you can manage your temperature well you will have very very long electronic device. All my PC been more than 9 yrs old before it start to malfunction. I am a graduate student too, more money spend means less money for foods. Therefore Quality and Durability are the most crucial. I always advice my friends to put your hand under a laptop they planned to buy, in hope they dont burn their hand. I BOUGHT IT AND I DID NOT REGRET IT

OK all pros a side, there is a big downside for us, graduate student:
is WEIGHT to move around (Almost sprain my wrist when I tried to lift it with single hand)

As fellow graduate student.. I want to advice you: Get a back strap computer bag that has sponges and lightest bag u can find.

Dude, have you ever read any forum related to, let's say, a car that you're about to buy next. Every single brand and model forums are FULL of issues, EVERY car. Every ~5 year old car i've owned lately goes in this list, and yet I have never had any issues with my cars.
So, when you come to a place where ppl write their experiences about a car/computer or anything, you will face all the problems that they write about, many many topics of those, because that's why people usually come to a place like this.
Luckily there's a solution and workaround to most of the cases.

p.s. going to order my G74SX tomorrow as i've managed to wait for the 2670qm-version to be available here. So soonish I'm here to either write about the issues I have, or to praise the equipment that I'm proud to own. :cool:
*** G74SX-TZ226V (European model) | Kingston HyperX SSD 120gb Sata-III
"STOCK" BIOS 202 (If it's not broken, why fix it.) *** <- Sold 😞

Lorca
Level 7
I'm one of the lucky ones that my G74SX-BBK7 is without issues at all. I mean, this laptop runs perfectly for me even without the new drivers that this forum recommends. The ONLY thing I'm disappointed about is the sound. The sound has low volume even with the sound maxed out. At least this can be remedy with a good ear phone or whatnot. I'm happy so far after using my G74 everyday for almost 3 weeks.

chrsplmr
Level 18
CinGen, Welcome New ROG Forum Member,

It is very simple, this is the ROG flagship Laptop we are talking about.
I cant speak for what is 'floating around the internet' or even where it is 'floating'.
Here I see what few actual issues there are resolved quickly.
The Asus bashing rages on, some assume if they get one without issues, they are lucky.
The fact is the vast majority of these Laptop come out of the box ROG'n and
never have an issue.
If you do Chastity and the rest are here to help in a hurry.

Now relax and buy your G74 with confidence.
You get more than just a laptop that the competitors just dream
of making...but you get ROG...every last one of us.

I am not bias in any way, I'm not paid to be, I just know what
I have experienced and read here, it is the right choice.
Best of Luck in all you seek.c.

Like you, i was worried about buying one of this laptops cause i get to this forum to learn a bit more, but instead of reading good reviews i saw lot of ppl complaining. Reading more i notice that many of them come here to get their problems fixed, so i went to youtube and start asking to ppl that make reviews like BF3 review with g74sx, Crysis 2 review, etc etc. They all told me that they never got a problem, also reading reviews from B&H, Amazon, etc, saw that they were satisfied.
After reading all that i dicided to get one of this laptops (still have to wait like 15 days to get to the US hehe).
Also hapend to me when i dicided to get a Canon 550D (Also buy it in the US cause its cheaper) ... I start reading forums were ppl complains about dead or hot pixels and more issues, so they dicided to make valid the warranty and wait some time to get a new one. Get confused about buying it after reading all that, but reading more outside the forums i dicided to get one. Since 1+ year that i got that camera and never got any problem.

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks for all the replies guys!

You seem to have convinced me to not worry too much, so with a bit of luck I'll have the new laptop by wednesday 😉

The issue with the touchpad doesn't bother me that much, since I use a wacom Pen&Touch, wich basically is a touchpad but better and bigger:P

The weight is also a non issue for me, since most of the time we're in the same classroom for 3 hours at a time, so there isn't THAT much carrying around involved.

Once again, thank you very much!

chrsplmr wrote:
CinGen, Welcome New ROG Forum Member,

It is very simple, this is the ROG flagship Laptop we are talking about.
I cant speak for what is 'floating around the internet' or even where it is 'floating'.
Here I see what few actual issues there are resolved quickly.
The Asus bashing rages on, some assume if they get one without issues, they are lucky.
The fact is the vast majority of these Laptop come out of the box ROG'n and
never have an issue.
If you do Chastity and the rest are here to help in a hurry.

Now relax and buy your G74 with confidence.
You get more than just a laptop that the competitors just dream
of making...but you get ROG...every last one of us.

I am not bias in any way, I'm not paid to be, I just know what
I have experienced and read here, it is the right choice.
Best of Luck in all you seek.c.

I agree with this statement. Btw, I was playing Crysis mp the other day and they were talking about what pc one was using. I said Asus and one said that Asus makes solid pc's. So, I guess Asus does have a good reputation.