cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JX random black screen problem!

BrutalSlay
Level 7
Hello,

I've had my laptop for about 4 months and recently started having a black screen problem. The problem is that my screen turns black randomly...

I need to disable the screen (FN+F9) and enable it or sleep/restart to fix it...

I have tried installing other drivers and currently use 326.83 driver, also I'm still on windows 8. I am not sure if it's software or hardware related, the black screen problem could happen when i move the lid but most of the times nothing happens when I move my lid.

Any idea's on what to do?
14 REPLIES 14

Gericop
Level 7
Try searching for a newer driver (in my G750JH the latest driver is 337.88) through GeForce Experience, also updating to 8.1 could help.

One thing I could say you should try the next time your screen goes black is to increase brightness to the maximum. On my older Asus, this helped because the latest ATi driver was not really compatible and it turned off the LEDs so it looked like the whole screen turned off, but it wasn't the case as I discovered with a flashlight that the pixels were still on so I realized that the backlight had been turned off. Putting the brightness to maximum turned it on again, so you should also try this (although I don't think it's the case with your baby).

BrutalSlay
Level 7
It seems to occur whenever I leave the laptop in sleep mode for extended periods of time or while not touching it.

Gericop
Level 7
Try updating your GeForce driver and use the built-in Balanced power plan. This seems to be a problem with your GPU's driver which can't turn back on for some reason.

BrutalSlay
Level 7
I am using the 337.88 Driver with balanced settings. Could this be a hardware issue? How can I find the cause of the problem?

Gericop
Level 7
I don't think it's a hardware issue. Try the following steps to test if it's related to power management:

- click with left mouse button on the battery icon on the system tray on the right and select More power options (or press WIN + Q and type power options)
- select next to the selected power plan the Change plan settings option
- on the next page select Change advanced power settings
- in the following diagram look for the Hard disk node, then Turn off hard disk after inside that
- set the timers to 0 which means it's not going to turn off your hard disk ever
- apply the new settings

There is also another thing to mention which is the fact that if you put your computer to sleep, its timers are still on, thus sometimes making your screen black even if coming back directly from sleep mode. Next time just try moving your mouse around to see if it's only the screen that turned off for power saving and other maintenance things.

BrutalSlay
Level 7
Well it's not only turning black, before it turns black there is some weird light effect on the screen and the display stays on but shows completly black after. The only way to fix the issue is to FN + F7 ...

BrutalSlay wrote:
Well it's not only turning black, before it turns black there is some weird light effect on the screen and the display stays on but shows completly black after. The only way to fix the issue is to FN + F7 ...

Did you try my suggestions about setting the HDD turn off time to never?

Gericop wrote:
Did you try my suggestions about setting the HDD turn off time to never?

Yes, still have the same issue

BrutalSlay
Level 7
Im actually starting to think it's a hardware problem since it happens more often when I move the screen...