cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When you decide to mod, and keep multifailing, in the end...

FireFlower
Level 9
NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE
Big pictures ahead, most are 1280x960.

+

=

Ok, guess I need to explain a little bit. I bought this case in 2009 summer and after watching it's plain look for 2 years I decided I want a little bit more refreshing colour.
Also at that point I thought bulldozer has to be better than Phenom II X6 1090T so I bought used PII X2 555BE and tried to unlock it but no luck and it didn't OC well either.
Hit the wall @ 3.8GHz when temps were still below 40C 😞

So I took my pliers, screwdriver, hammer, coffee cup and a pencil and started to demolish the case.

Then I stole from my neighbour his jacket holder so I could paint the case without touching it

"Blink"

Another "blink"

Oh nooouuu, you are not allowed to do that!!!

Well luckily it was the backside of the case, so nouu big problems...
Moving to install hardware... A little bit sawing there, a little bit here, use force of 2000kN 😛

install all that plastic, saw plastic even more, more, more and again use force of 2000 kN with that top panel. :mad:

The pron

Neat, cables

Rush firing it up

A little bit face lift and waiting for FX-8150 😮
Romuluotain 9
Ryzen 3600, MSI B450M Mortar Max, 2x16GB DDR4, GTX 1080 Ti, ~10TB total storage (good bye ROG, for n...
Romuluotain 8
Dell XT3, Core i7-2620M, 2x4GB DDR3-1600MHz sodimm, 2TB SSD, Sierra wireless LTE, AX200 Wifi-6, Linux Mint
17 REPLIES 17

xeromist
I don't see the multi-failing. As far as I'm concerned modding is a constantly evolving effort. It's best not to have everything set in stone ahead of time because something will need to be changed 🙂

Looks good, btw.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

FireFlower
Level 9
Ah had to tell, that at frist I was just thinking make new screw holes on the case for H100 so it would fit. Unfortunately I couldn't install the fans because it was touching that cooling fin. So I had to take a saw because I said, damn it I bought it so I won't return it because it just won't fit my case.

Also that paint bubbling happened three times. two times there where i took pictures and once on the other side. Had to peel off the old paint, wait a week for the old paint to dry completely, scratch up the surface so new layer of paint will hold up. Also I wanted to spray that "Zalman cool innovations" text to be much better but I have to finish it someday by hand brush. Also there were a few problems where the marker tape was hiding a little bit area that neede to be painted and had to second time paint that area which results risk of those bubbles.

Thanks to that I run out of my original paint when I still hadn't finished the otherside of the case so I went to buy more paint but I couldn't find same brand so I took other one that seemed to have same very same pigment. How wrong I was after one layer I noticed it was much much brighter than the original one I used

Sadly I didn't take any pictures of that. In a few days I went trough over 20 hardwareshops then one of the shop clerics told me this brand is renamed one that I used. And he was right. I was inpatient and I didn't wait for the old paint to dry completely and after a few minutes after I started repainting I noticed those bubbles and they were spreading damn fast. The old paint was still drying under the new one so the result was that.

But in the end everything went better than expected case looks pretty good. The industrial orange looks pretty great inside the case. Oh why did I pick up orange? It is just my favorite colour and I thought it might look good inside the case and made a few sketches with photoshop and here we are.
Romuluotain 9
Ryzen 3600, MSI B450M Mortar Max, 2x16GB DDR4, GTX 1080 Ti, ~10TB total storage (good bye ROG, for n...
Romuluotain 8
Dell XT3, Core i7-2620M, 2x4GB DDR3-1600MHz sodimm, 2TB SSD, Sierra wireless LTE, AX200 Wifi-6, Linux Mint

DaemonCantor
Level 13
Pretty Nice job even with all of the problems you had....here's another trick I found on that bubbles problem I found and you don't have to wait a week...first sand your project with 160 grit( Takes a lot of paint off fast) to smooth scratches, then step up to 220 grit and fine sand in circular motion wet. let dry, a couple hours should do, wipe the whole surface with Acetone (you can get it from a Bodyshop or Supplier) let dry(less than 2 min) Paint....let layer dry. hit it lightly with the wet 220 just to break the glaze, next coat...as many layers as needed also this is how they get that deep submerged paint job you see on custom cars...200 plus layers of Clearcoat...

Kipper
Level 10
Looks good to me also. First couple of case Mods I did resulting in trips to the dump.

chrsplmr
Level 18
Well done.
If that is failing, I can not wait to see when you get it right. Sweet.

DC, Remember Lacquer, you could swim in its depth.

DaemonCantor
Level 13
Yes chrsplmr, I do remember but it's illegal now because it's lead based...but it's easy to make if you can get a hold of Leaded Gas... just let it sit in a can for 2 weeks add 1/4 cup of Thinner to the Gunk filter and Paint.....hehehe But watch out for the fumes!

congradufuckinglations dude. you've modded it.

it looks pretty good really. have you spray painted much or is that your first go of it? the painting looks pretty solid. i like the grey ext/orange interior. it's pretty sweet really.

it also looks like you did a damn fine job of picking the parts for the build.

when you see a case modding that makes you take note, remember, there's alot more than just the materials there, there's the experience of the maker.

like was said before, you get better as you go. look at the things you didn't like about this build and see what you could do on your next one. the paint didn't look bad, probably a little dust or something on the surface.

something else to consider as well: a lot of the modder community (not just this one) has a background in something that requires having certain tools. sometimes these tools make creating awesome case mods really easy, depending on what it is anyway. some people might have a background with metalworking or woodworking, or painting. sometimes the good results are created by someone who was good at something because of something else. (if that makes sense to any of you). ie, someone might have a lot of experience painting because they paint stuff at work, not necessarily computers. that's why there's times when someone can come in and make some fabulous piece of equipment, while going, "this is my first mod EVAR!".

fyi, leaded gas isn't illegal, it's just hard to come by. nowadays you can order and use lead pellets to add to your gas tank. you might do this if you had a old (really old) car that was original or a restoration or something.

FireFlower
Level 9
I have repainted a bicycle back in school. Took a "scrap" bike from pile of bicycles, took it apart, refurnished usable parts, polished off old paint and rust then used school's paintgun to paint whole bike in one go.

Yeah first mod with spray paints but guess when you seek perfection and come with "shiit it is starting to bubble" the fix option is to remove old paint and repaint it :). I chose not to do that just pulled off the worst
part, added new layer of paint and it looks like that. Most likely started bubbling because I took quick lunch break between painting and continued painting even though the old paint was already "drying".
Romuluotain 9
Romuluotain 8