cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G750JM is a nightmare

Asus-G750
Level 7
Good day everyone,

I have to admit that buying this laptop was a huge mistake.

To begin with, its screen is the BIGGEST crap I have ever seen. While sitting half a meter away from the screen I can still see single pixels, and god, the vertical lines are killing me.

I never thought that after buying a laptop that expensive something like this could happen. I went to a shop to compare the screen with other laptops, and it was the worst one I saw. Laptops which were half the price of Asus G750 had much better screens. The only one which had a screen this bad was a really cheap laptop ($240) with ubuntu on it...

Secondly, the hiss in the headphones jack is unacceptable. Really. Screen and headphones are the two things you use all the time. The screen makes you dizzy, and headphones hiss gives you a headache. How come you people keep on saying it's a great laptop? Buying it was a huge mistake.

And it is NOT silent. One of the ventilators keeps on working all the time, even if I don't do a thing (CPU at 0-1%). In addition to that I often get a high pitch noise from one of the components (Windows 8.1, newest drivers).

To people considering buying it - PLEASE THINK TWICE. I know it looks great, has great specs, but there are so many problems with it. Screen and sound card are a nightmare, and you use both all the time. To people saying to use USB headphones and external screen - well I didn't pay that much for the laptop to do that.

Ugh. I hope the shop will accept me returning it. Just a huge disappointment. I'll never buy asus again.
36 REPLIES 36

dblkk
Level 7
Well, im sorry to hear you had such a "horrid" experience with your asus.

What model/series did you get?

Did you contact your seller to have them ship you a new one? Im sure if the screen, audio, fans, and 'some other component' inside are all bad, the company you bought it from will send you a new one. Obviously all these problems are due to a faulty laptop, I cant believe that asus made these laptops this way and your the only one not willing to live with them.

Did you try updating the drivers, I know sometimes this is an quick easy fix for both screen and audio.

Did you know that Asus uses the same 17" screens as most gaming laptop venders?

Asus-G750
Level 7
There's plenty of people complaining online about how bad the screen is. I went to the shop and two other laptops had the same problem. Lines problem on Asus' G750 screen in well described on various forums, I just didn't expect it to be this visible. The resolution for 17" is also not that big after all, though for a 15" laptop it should be sufficient.

Headphones hiss seems to be a pretty common problem as well. There's plenty of people online complaining about it. It does not seem that I just received a "bad copy" when it comes to those two things.

The way the fans work and and a high pitch noise from one of the components could be due to having a faulty laptop, but these are not my biggest problems, really bad screen and sound card are.

It's a G750JM-T4061. I wanted to install extra SSD and RAM myself.

Still, I'm returning it, even though I love the way it looks and how fast it works, I never expected the overall product to be this bad.

theclaw37
Level 9
Ok, to start off from the beginning:

1) Many people are complaining about the screen. You probably have the Chi-Mei one. I have the Optronics screen and it's perfect (no lines or other stuff). If you had the latter, you would find the screen quite beautiful

2) The Audio is indeed a problem with low-impedance headphones, or so i've heard. Anyway i had some crackling problems with the subwoofer but the 7231 driver mostly fixed everything, so this can be solved with a software update.

3) My 110cm diagonal LCD TV is full HD and it's perfectly fine. How can you complain that 1920x1080 is a low resolution for a 17" screen is beyond me.

4) The laptop is actually pretty quiet. In intense gaming, it makes itself heard VERY lightly, but it's nowhere near annoying. In normal use the laptop is completely silent. Your fan controllers are probably in need of some drivers so they don't just spin blindly. That is almost certainly another software fixable problem.

Well, your TV is fine because you most likely don't watch it from a distance of ~40-50cm. It's not about the numbers, but about the ratio depending on viewing distance combined with ppi. Comparisons like yours make no sense.

This laptop's screen is not near, e.g. retina display quality. I can see single pixels from the distance of 50cm. It shouldn't be like this, the ppi is too low. Yesterday I was testing asus' laptop with 15" screen and 1080p resolution and it was beautiful. G750 is not near that quality.

It is sort of funny that they give 15 and 17 inch screens the same resolution. It's like they neglect the existance of ppi factor at all and pretend that 1080p is all you need on any display.

BTW - how do I check which screen is in my laptop?

Asus-G750 wrote:
Well, your TV is fine because you most likely don't watch it from a distance of ~40-50cm. It's not about the numbers, but about the ratio depending on viewing distance combined with ppi. Comparisons like yours make no sense.

This laptop's screen is not near, e.g. retina display quality. I can see single pixels from the distance of 50cm. It shouldn't be like this, the ppi is too low. Yesterday I was testing asus' laptop with 15" screen and 1080p resolution and it was beautiful. G750 is not near that quality.

It is sort of funny that they give 15 and 17 inch screens the same resolution. It's like they neglect the existance of ppi factor at all and pretend that 1080p is all you need on any display.

BTW - how do I check which screen is in my laptop?

Well, yes, the viewing distance of a TV should be much bigger than for a laptop. But the ratio is pretty much the same. The laptop screen occupies about the same area in your field-of-view as a tv when watched properly. PPI is not all there is and as a matter of fact, the pixel-to-eye ratio is much more important.

My opinion is that full hd is perfect for this screen size. Also, a higher res screen is harder to drive by the GPU. I know you can downscale, but why do that when you can just use a res that works perfectly (at least for most people).

P.S: don't buy into the "Retina display" crap that Apple sells. That's just a fancy name for a certain PPI, and nothing more.

theclaw37 wrote:
Well, yes, the viewing distance of a TV should be much bigger than for a laptop. But the ratio is pretty much the same. The laptop screen occupies about the same area in your field-of-view as a tv when watched properly. PPI is not all there is and as a matter of fact, the pixel-to-eye ratio is much more important.

That's what I said above, just shorter.

theclaw37 wrote:
My opinion is that full hd is perfect for this screen size.

It's not. I see pixels from half a meter away.

theclaw37 wrote:
P.S: don't buy into the "Retina display" crap that Apple sells. That's just a fancy name for a certain PPI, and nothing more.

Be that as it may, their screens are really good; I would love to have one in Asus G750, then I probably wouldn't return it.

theclaw37 wrote:

My opinion is that full hd is perfect for this screen size. Also, a higher res screen is harder to drive by the GPU. I know you can downscale, but why do that when you can just use a res that works perfectly (at least for most people).

not crap man, the screen is awesome, it has high colour accuracy, an IPS! which asus should use! and ssd as boot drive just to simplify the whole ssd change, but most of all I am very happy with the responsive screen, track pad n keyboard, cooling and the look..

LeonardoTan wrote:
not crap man, the screen is awesome, it has high colour accuracy, an IPS! which asus should use! and ssd as boot drive just to simplify the whole ssd change, but most of all I am very happy with the responsive screen, track pad n keyboard, cooling and the look..

It's a gaming rig. TN panels have better response time than IPS's. If you want colour accuracy, better viewing angles etc. you should look somewhere else. Maybe an N-series, but definitely not a G-series.

theclaw37 wrote:
It's a gaming rig. TN panels have better response time than IPS's. If you want colour accuracy, better viewing angles etc. you should look somewhere else. Maybe an N-series, but definitely not a G-series.

If you see it that way then yes it's true, and that would be asus defend as well. But it is simply more easier and cheaper to make if you see it on financial aspect.

And by the way you just repeating what I said. And what I want is definitely both viewing angle and response time.