•BIOS 3603, latest for Win 7/8
•32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM CLK 9-9-9-24
•i7-3770K processor
•Win 7 x64 OS on SSD1
•User files (my docs, app data, etc.) on SSD2
•Lockheed Martin Prepar3d on SSD3
•Corsair AX1200i PSU
•Corsair H100 CPU cooler

System is running mild auto OC of 4.6GHz.

All PSU cables are attached; ATX, PCIe bus, and both EZ-Plugs.

I have been running (2) EVGA GTX 760 Super Clocked GPUs in 2-way SLI for about 9 months. No issues. Cards are in slots 1 and 3.
Running latest non-beta NVIDIA drivers, manual install for drivers only. Factory clocks.

Using a new 3rd EVGA GTX 760 SC card (exactly the same card as the other two, even the card BIOS is identical), I tried to change over to 3-way SLI and it will not work. I have used the Guru3D driver remover and CCleaner to repair the registry numerous times. I have changed drivers. I have flashed the BIOS on the mobo. I have swapped cards around in the slots. Will not work. I am using the ASUS 3-way SLI bridge that came with the mobo.

ASUS and EVGA tech support have not been helpful when I've talked to them. I've checked the forums here but can't find anything regarding this issue

Here's what happens - when a card is installed in slots 1, 2, and 4 for 3-way SLI, the last card is not recognized and that card's fan will run at 100%.
I can run the system with a single card in any slot and all three cards work fine as single cards in any slot.
I can have 2-way SLI if I put any two of the cards in any combination of slots 1, 2, and 4. Slot 3 cannot be reached if a card is in slot 2.

I've even wiped the drivers, opened up in safe mode, and installed the cards without drivers. It will recognize when 2 cards are installed, but when that 3rd card is installed, the same thing happens - card is not recognized and the card fan will run at 100%. All three cards do the same thing.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Kev
8 REPLIES 8

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi kattz 🙂

Frustrating!

By 1,2,4 you mean like in the manual...1,2 and 4 x16 slots right?

Do you have the flexible bridges to try a different bridge method?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hi kattz 🙂

Frustrating!

By 1,2,4 you mean like in the manual...1,2 and 4 x16 slots right?

Do you have the flexible bridges to try a different bridge method?

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes, installed like the manual. I only have the fixed bridge and a 2-way flexible bridge. I don't have 2 additional bridges. I did try putting the bridge upside down..

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Have you tried disabling sli....adding all three cards....no bridge....booting up to OS so OS creates registry entries for all 3 reinstall Drivers and then installing bridge and booting again....

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Have you tried disabling sli....adding all three cards....no bridge....booting up to OS so OS creates registry entries for all 3 reinstall Drivers and then installing bridge and booting again....

Hello, thank you for your reply. Yes, I tried this with and without the NVIDIA drivers installed. It would recognize the first two cards as "standard VGA adapters", but when I put in the third card, even using slots 1 and 3 first, 1 and 4 first, and putting the card into slot 2 instead of 4 had the same result. it was as though the slot was empty, not in use, and the card fan would run at 100%. I also put my cards into slots 1 and 2 first, with the last card going into slot 4, and still had the same result.

If I had the NVIDIA drives installed without the SLI bridge, it would show "This system supports SLI", but if I left the SLI bridge out and installed card #3, same effect, not recognized.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
You have all the PCIe lane switches on...maybe flick them backward and forward to make sure....:confused:...running out of ideas here

kattz
Level 7
Thanks, Arne. I tried that as well, and even tried it with leaving lane 3 switched off, which the NF200 does if you stick a card into slot 3(?) or 4.

Neither EVGA nor ASUS have been able to fix the issue either. I've pretty much given up and am moving to a Maximus VI. I was hoping for large field of experts here, but you've been the only one to respond. I really appreciate your efforts! Thank you.

Kevin

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
No worries...hang about....lots of people away on holidays etc. maybe turnaround is not so quick...cartainly a small field if I'm the only one in it LOL

What about the OC...you said a mild OC...have you tried resetting everything to stock just in case the OC is throwing the PCIe controller out of kilter. When you flashed new BIOS did you try it stock first?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Reset your system to factory defaults. Clear CMOS then try again with the 3 cards.

As each card works just fine by itself, and each PCie slot works just fine when tested the issue is compatibility with the third card.

Test your PSU connectors - swap them round and see if that makes any difference.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.