cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P9x79 Pro Bios Cap file

pcfr33k
Level 8
My son and I are unable to get flashback Bios to Flash the latest bios. We can only flash Bios converter but from that point forward flashback will not flash any versions above that.

I have several Prom burners, Bus Pirate, older Rom Burner Xeltek SuperPro Model 580U, no longer made or supported but I have windows XP to run it. I also have something from Microchip MpLab Starter kit, awesome can burn all kinds of serial devices.

The bios slips right out with ease. Is there a way to download the latest Bios Cap file, convert to hex since these Rom burners need to read Hex files hen write it to the chip?

I read that I may have to stitch the existing block of whatever is on the chip now with the contents of the Cap file? I have no idea how to do this?

I have one coming in the mail so I want to experiment with the one from the board.

Is there a procedure to Flash this rom with a Rom Burner?

Also how do I convert the Cap to Hex or Cap to Rom to hex?

If anyone would be kind enough to extract the Bios (backup) from the P9x79 Pro Bios Version 4701, that would be a great start.

Thanks

EDITED:

I failed to tell the complete story We cannot boot the motherboard with the 6 core intel processor we just bought, the I7-4930K is why we are unable to flash the bios normally.

EDITED AGAIN:

The Xeltek 580U reads the chip perfectly. I save a bin file. Erased /re-programed with the bin file and compared they are exactly the same so the Xeltek will work fine.

I just need a Bin file I can upload to the Xeltek. If I can get a backup rom image from someone I can try and figure out how to convert it to hex or binary? I don't think I can flash the Bios Cap file version 4701 without converting it first?

Really can use the help on this please someone?

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

MeanMachine
Level 13
Best Method for Bios flash using USB stick.

http://support.asus.com/Documents/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&m=P9X79%20PRO&s=42&hashedid=ITjeO1wq0...

Hope this helps and please report back.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
Best Method for Bios flash using USB stick.

http://support.asus.com/Documents/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&m=P9X79 PRO&s=42&hashedid=ITjeO1wq0nRUPfej&os=30&no=1704

Hope this helps and please report back.

I can't do it this way the computer does not boot remember. I pulled the chip out and can re-program it with ease. All I need a someone to extract a backup of their 4701 and I can burn that right onto the chip.

I edited the post a couple of times go back and check out the edited post maybe you missed the added information I added.

Thanks

EDITED:

The Xeltek should be able to load a Rom image with ease. The backup file will be a Rom and not cap.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello mate - you need to have a working CPU to flash the bios updater in OS.

There are a couple of sticky threads about this process that needs to be done.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

See my first post I cannot boot at all. The processor is not supported until I update to Bios 4701. FLashback only lets me flash the converter bios. After that according to ASus tech support I am to flash each Bios one at a time after the flashback converter bios, up to the latest version. It will not flash them, light remains steady and does not blink. So I remove the chip read the binary data using a SPI programmer mentioned in my first post the Zeltek 580U.

What you are saying makes absolutely no sense what so ever? How can I do any DOS or boot if the processor is not letting the board POST at all? I may have found a solution with EFItool. I now realize its not just the Cap header that has to be truncated but the Board UUID, Serial Number etc has to be gotten from the original Bios of the board and I don't think the Flashback conversion Bios tool has this information in it or not?

Have to try again and if the Board specific information is on the Chip already that I made a copy of with my SPI program, then I found a program that will insert this information onto the downloaded CAP file from Asus and truncate the cap header in one go. Then I can burn this image back onto the chip!!

Maybe this method is not supported at all on the forum?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Ok lets see where we are in the process.

What CPU are you using?

The 4210 bios is required for the latest non-zeon LGA2011 processors. If you look at the white sticker that is found near to the SATA ports and the 24 pin PSU power connector the last 4 digits will indicate your shipping BIOS.

Please post back what your CPU and shipping bios is.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Ok lets see where we are in the process.

What CPU are you using?

The 4210 bios is required for the latest non-zeon LGA2011 processors. If you look at the white sticker that is found near to the SATA ports and the 24 pin PSU power connector the last 4 digits will indicate your shipping BIOS.

Please post back what your CPU and shipping bios is.

Its the Intel I7-4930K 6 core non zeon.

Bios by sata connector says 0906.

The board will not boot or post. Power supply is good. Processor is good. memory is corsair Vengence 16GB and I know its good. DDR3 16GB @1600

HiVizMan
Level 40
Assuming that you have swapped out the PSU and that all the PSU connectors have been fitted it does look like you have a dead mobo mate.

I am sorry to say but RMA is your only call.

HiVizMan wrote:
Assuming that you have swapped out the PSU and that all the PSU connectors have been fitted it does look like you have a dead mobo mate.

I am sorry to say but RMA is your only call.

Its starting to look like it. If one pin on the MB is just slightly bend could that cause it not to boot or post at all? I would think it would at least boot with an error code?

Thanks

Necrosan
Level 12
The BIOS on that board is definitely too old to boot the 4930K.
You're going to need someone with a P9X79 Pro to dump the latest version in the format your flasher expects, or you can order a BIOS chip pre-flashed with the latest revision from the ASUS eShop.
MB: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 (Cooled by Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12 fans)
RAM: 64GB G.SKILL RipjawsZ 1600 (10-10-10-30)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X Hybrid
TV Tuners: 2 * Hauppauge HVR-1800
Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos 2