cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fan connections

rolldog
Level 9
On the Asus Maximus VI Formula MB, all the fan connectors are 4 pin connectors, but all of my fans have 3 pin connections. I had them all hooked into a fun controller, but decided why not just hook them up to the MB and see how this Asus software works to monitor the fan speeds, etc. My question is this, can I look a 3 pin fan up to a 4 pin connector with some sort of adapter, and if I do, will the MB be able to control the fans? Let me know if I'm wrong here, but doesn't the 4th pin allow you to control the fan speed through the software instead of manually? If I need new fans for this to work, is it worth changing out all my fans so they can be operated via the BIOS or should I just hook them back to the fan controller? Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

Praz
Level 13
Hello

You will not need any type of adapter. The 3 pin connector will fit the 4 pin header and the fans will properly function.

Yea, I have them hooked up right now, but for some reason I thought the 4th pin was used to operate, or control, the fans through the PC and not have to manually increase or decrease the speed using a controller of some sort. When I go into the BIOS, I can see all the fans being monitored, but I wasn't 100% sure if I decided I wanted to use the Asus Fan Xpert2 software to optimize the fan speeds automatically depending on the temps, that it would work with 3 pin connections. I just wanted to make sure before I have some custom cables made.

The bad thing is, if this is true, then the jumper settings are underneath the armor on the MB.

Did you not read what Praz said, or are you trying to get your post count up?
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

rolldog
Level 9
I think I found my answer:
If the fan what you have is only 3-wired, it’s a DC fan which is not support PWM and will run at full speed.

To solve this, please change the jumper of CHAFAN_SEL from 2-3 to 1-2(DC Fan)
In some cases, a 4-wirefan was not able to be controlled by ASUS Ai Suite, because the 4thwire was just connected to the ground.

On the other hand, it’s NOT a PWM fan although it’s a 4-wirefan. Please try to change the jumper to PIN1-2 or contact the fan vendor to confirm the fan spec.