ROG Guru: White Belt Array

over current protection suddenly triggered

It's still early in sweden when i write this so any brain farts on my end are due to that.

New build started acting funny last night, all of a sudden without warning it rebooted with the over current protection triggered to save you from a faulty PSU message. I was switching alot between browsing and gaming (warcraft at the time), then it happend again with the same message while just playing so even tho my overclocks been working fine, I dialed them back to a safe level.
    Third time it happend I opened up the case, started checking temperatures, but both loops keep all the components during load at 50c max. I also started a logg with aida64 to monitor the 12v, 5v and 3,3v line.

The forth time the computer didn't even reboot it just froze and I had to use the reset button to reboot it. After checking the logs nothing out of the ordinary stood out of the voltages, got no unexpected error either.
    About that time it was time for bed so I turned it off normaly.

The power draw from the wall ( started checking ) when playing was ~950w and the highest readout by the meter (ever) was 1055w wich still is safe with my 1200w PSU

My only thought atm is due to the heatwave we have here, (24c at 6am already) its the heat that causes my PSU to fluctuate since this problems started on the hottest day here.

Any other thoughts?

edit:
    The computer specs are
    rampage IV black edition
    4930k at 4.3Ghz with only a multiplier change atm
    32 gb dominator platinums 2400mhz, XMP profile used
    Tri-sli titan blacks running a mild OC @ 1200core 3700mem.
    1200w be quiet PSU
    2 SSD's and 3 WD reds
    pumps, fans, LEDs etc

everythings been working great for 2-3 months, just happend yesterday so far.
    Last edited by Nephelim; 07-10-2014 at 06:47 AM.

Another idéa I'm having about this is that one of the rails of my PSU is getting overloaded, and that switching to single rail operation is a solution. That would provide me a higher roof before the OCP kicks in. I dont know if that can have effect when its the motherboards protection that turns my computer off but if the PSU can sort out the spikes better it's worth a shot I guess.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Have you tried a different PSU (sounds like a faulty PSU to me)

Quote Originally Posted by WillyK View Post
    Have you tried a different PSU (sounds like a faulty PSU to me)

I dont have another PSU to test unoftunatly, I'm still thinking about me overloading one of the 12v lines on the PSU and that changing to single rail operation could sort it out.

At the moment I think its +12v2 that might be the culprit.

+12v1 and +12v2 is rated 420w with 35 A on each rail
    +12v3 and +12v4 is rated 540w with 45 A on each rail

+12v1 currently has the cpu and motherboard connected
    +12v2 goes to the 24pin, soundcard(6pin), 5 harddrives, aquaero, pumps and a heap of fans
    +12v3 powers 2x 250w graphicscards
    +12v4 powers 1x 250w graphicscard

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

If you have multiple polling tools (for temps, clock speeds and voltages) running on the system then try disabling the Anti-Surge setting in UEFI. It can be erroneously triggered.

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    If you have multiple polling tools (for temps, clock speeds and voltages) running on the system then try disabling the Anti-Surge setting in UEFI. It can be erroneously triggered.
    I've just gotten home and put the PSU in single rail mode as I write this, have not yet stressed the system. And yes, I saw this suggestion by you in an old overclock.net thread on the same issue. I was hessitant to dissable it incase there really was a serious error somewhere. And altho I've had several of the monitoring / polling tools installed, realtemp, coretemp, gpu-z, cpu-z aida etc. most of them have been uninstalled or are not used

What I have running atm is the cpu usage widget (win7) Don't know why tho, never look at it.
    Aida 64 extreme for feeding the aquaero 6 along with its widget
    Aquasuite for monitoring my watertemps
    and lastly
    EVGA precitionX - needed for OC

I don't see any of the old programs showing up in the task manager, so I doubt any of them are interfering and polling dispite the uninstall, should never say never tho. Do you still think I should disable the anti asurge setting?

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Bad PSU could cause a serious damage to your system and it could be very hard to troubleshoot. If I was in your situation, I would definitely try to eliminate the PSU as a factor. E.g. you can buy a digital PSU tester (doesn't cost too much). The tricky part is that the problem may come and go or only appear under certain load conditions, so you need to be patient about this. Still, the easiest way to make sure the PSU is Ok is ... to replace it.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Menthol PC Specs
    Menthol PC Specs
    MotherboardM 10 Apex / XI gene
    Processor8700K / 9900K
    Memory (part number)2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4266/2x2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4500
    Graphics Card #1RTX 2080ti / GTX 1060
    Sound CardSoundBlaster Ae5 / Onboard
    MonitorBENQ 32" 4K
    Storage #1Intel 900p 480GB/Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
    Storage #2Intel 750 1.2TB/Plextor 1 TB 2X 950 Pro
    CPU CoolerCorsair H150i AIO / H1110i
    CaseCorsair 740 ? Lian Li Air
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i / AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair
    Mouse ASUS Strix
    Headset HyperX Cloud Alpha
    Mouse Pad ASUS
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z906
    OS 10 X64 Pro
    Network RouterVerizon Fios
    Accessory #1 Intel Wifi BT pcie card
    Accessory #2 Red Bull
    Accessory #3 English Breakfast Tea

My guess is your power supply is not large enough for your system, it is right on the edge of tripping, it may seem safe going by what your meter says but from my experience with multiple Titans, 780ti's etc., it's not. I would disable one or two cards with the pcie lane switch on the motherboard. I would bet that stops this from happening. Even a 1500 watt power supply barely handles a system like yours without overclocking. In my opinion you need a very good power supply or even two power supplies for overclocking. You are risking damaging some very expensive hardware under powering it. Just my opinion of course

Thanks everyone for the help, I'm aware that the 1200w was a bit low for three of the titans, altho my system originally intended to include only two I might upgrade the psu sooner than later tbh.

After putting the Psu in single rail mode I ran two consecutive runs of 3Dmark11 extreme preset and noted over 1Kw pull from the wall and gamed for 2hours without issues.

I'm still keeping close watch on things and appretiate all the help

ROG Enthusiast Array

If you have any room for tweaking voltages on the CPU, I would spend some time doing so. Any of the OC profiles and Auto modes are very heavy handed with the voltages, so if you used those as a starting point there should be a lot of room left to bring down the voltages. You could save a lot of power and give some more overhead back to those GPUs. When I first had my system up and running, with a 4960x at the 4.5 GHz profile and 2x Matrix 7970 GHz at their stock OC settings, I was pulling over 1000W during gaming and stress testing. Now with some power reduction techniques I'm down to around 650W under the same scenarios. Or, for any given wattage, I can push a much higher OC. There is a lot of room to improve efficiency on this platform if you're willing to spend the time.