cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely high fan speeds (G750 JH)

Gammatron
Level 7
It's been like this from the start. It's a great machine, and games run very nicely on it, but the CPU fan is dreadful. At idle, it runs at a just-audible 2200 RPM, but simple tasks like listening to music and watching videos take it to around 3000. Between 3 and 4k during most games, but it will very often reach 5k therein as well (which is almost as loud as a hair dryer). During rendering I would regularly reach speeds of 5.6k, and sometimes, opening a few new tabs in chrome will make it quite loud.

Temperatures seem okay, with the CPU never going above 85 and the GPU usually staying in the 50-70 region. 'Temp1', as listed in SpeedFan, is always the hottest, though. Laptop is about 8 months old, no issues with it so far. The funny thing is that a G750 JX I had had for 2 weeks before this, whose CPU was a 4702 MQ and whose GC was a 770M, was almost completely silent, even during Crysis 2.

Can I swap out the fan for another, quieter one, and will it void the comp's warranty?

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model G750JH
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. G750JH.204, 7/9/2013
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
Time Zone Central Europe Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 16.0 GB
Available Physical Memory 11.0 GB
Total Virtual Memory 31.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory 26.0 GB
Page File Space 16.0 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
9 REPLIES 9

dblkk
Level 7
not sure if theyres replacement fans, but it would no doubt void your warranty

Another thing to note though, is that I see your running windows 7. While that's great and they should make laptops that will run final buyers preffered operating system, there are no 100% asus drivers made for this notebook specifically for windows 7. My guess is that your missing something, update to driver or something, that controls either fan speed or fan temp curve or something.

dblkk wrote:
not sure if theyres replacement fans, but it would no doubt void your warranty

Another thing to note though, is that I see your running windows 7. While that's great and they should make laptops that will run final buyers preffered operating system, there are no 100% asus drivers made for this notebook specifically for windows 7. My guess is that your missing something, update to driver or something, that controls either fan speed or fan temp curve or something.

Thanks for the response. I did have a lot of trouble getting all the drivers to work (particularly the Wi-Fi ones), but they all seem to now. However, I also have problems controlling the brightness (as in, I have very little control over it at all), so there might be something to what you said. I guess I'll try to make it work with Windows 8.

So Windows 8 seems to be behaving the same way - are there any fan control drivers you know of?

Gammatron wrote:
So Windows 8 seems to be behaving the same way - are there any fan control drivers you know of?

I'm very certain that all fan control is done wth bios and the bios drivers. And asus has those locked down tight. I haven't seen a single mod done to asus bios yet.

It should still be in bios for fan controls even running windows 7. But, windows 7 might/might not require more resources to run, or some kind of other driver might be effecting fans. Not to sure, as it was only designed with windows 8 in mind. But that said, windows 8 with a program like start8 ($5) completely illiminates the whole metro and brings 100% traditional start menu back. It boots quicker, requires less resources, and is generally quicker in almost every area. Other than coding for specific programs not being designed for windows 8 yet, I don't see a downfall of it. But that coding is a huge deal if this is a workstation type laptop for you, I know there are several programs I use that require windows 7, but some have been slowly coming to windows 8.

hmscott wrote:
Gammatron, Notebook FanControl works on the G750, kinda bare bones, but the first I have seen that actually works. You could try setting the speed lower than the annoyance frequency and see if the temps are ok long term - cutting the noise but keeping it cool enough.

The newest version 1.11.19 works for my G750JH, using the Asus M52VA config, installed, changed settings to start with Windows and minimize to systray, and rebooted.

"Finally NBFC is out of beta!"
http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showthread.php?t=1070494

Download
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=6c34bd33ac55ce36&id=6C34BD33AC55CE36!1060&action=Share

Thanks, I'll give it a go! EDIT: It seems that as soon as I installed the program, my computer spiraled into a loop of BSODs with the 'driver irql not less or equal' message, so I had to uninstall it. EDIT: It seems to have been SpeedFan - every time I'd run it, it would case the blue screen... But this was only after I had installed and applied the FanControl.

dblkk wrote:
I'm very certain that all fan control is done wth bios and the bios drivers. And asus has those locked down tight. I haven't seen a single mod done to asus bios yet.

It should still be in bios for fan controls even running windows 7. But, windows 7 might/might not require more resources to run, or some kind of other driver might be effecting fans. Not to sure, as it was only designed with windows 8 in mind. But that said, windows 8 with a program like start8 ($5) completely illiminates the whole metro and brings 100% traditional start menu back. It boots quicker, requires less resources, and is generally quicker in almost every area. Other than coding for specific programs not being designed for windows 8 yet, I don't see a downfall of it. But that coding is a huge deal if this is a workstation type laptop for you, I know there are several programs I use that require windows 7, but some have been slowly coming to windows 8.

The things you speak of seem to me to be relatively small software adjustments that might make say a 10% difference, but the speeds I'm talking about, when compared to the speeds I experienced in the G750 JX, are day and night. I'm fairly convinced it's just that the fan is much weaker, and requires more cycles to effectively cool the mobo and CPU.

Gammatron wrote:
Thanks, I'll give it a go! EDIT: It seems that as soon as I installed the program, my computer spiraled into a loop of BSODs with the 'driver irql not less or equal' message, so I had to uninstall it. EDIT: It seems to have been SpeedFan - every time I'd run it, it would case the blue screen... But this was only after I had installed and applied the FanControl.

Gammatron, try uninstalling SpeedFan - AFAIK it doesn't work anyway, as it seems to be causing an access conflict with Notebook FanContol - you might want to uninstall Notebook FanControl first, then SpeedFan, and then reboot before reinstalling Notebook FanControl - just in case the hooks are stacked/threaded - you want to unroll them in the reverse order installed.

Let us know if that works 🙂

Wow, I went into edit and set my threshold to 85, and now it works like a charm... even during gaming, when it would before unnecessarily go to 4k and more, it sits at what sounds like 2.5k (25%) and has no problem keeping the CPU at 68-75. Thanks so much, this could really save me a lot of stress!

By the way, could I, under the same profile, set specific speeds for specific temperature ranges, say 15% when the CPU is between 50 and 60 degrees, and 25% for anything between 60 and 85, then 50%, say?

Gammatron wrote:
Wow, I went into edit and set my threshold to 85, and now it works like a charm... even during gaming, when it would before unnecessarily go to 4k and more, it sits at what sounds like 2.5k (25%) and has no problem keeping the CPU at 68-75. Thanks so much, this could really save me a lot of stress!

By the way, could I, under the same profile, set specific speeds for specific temperature ranges, say 15% when the CPU is between 50 and 60 degrees, and 25% for anything between 60 and 85, then 50%, say?

Gammatron, that's great news 🙂

I haven't gotten that into the profiles, but you can try the support forum link, it is in German mostly, but there are English posts too, so give your question a try there, and let us know the resolution you find.

hmscott
Level 12
Gammatron, Notebook FanControl works on the G750, kinda bare bones, but the first I have seen that actually works. You could try setting the speed lower than the annoyance frequency and see if the temps are ok long term - cutting the noise but keeping it cool enough.

The newest version 1.11.19 works for my G750JH, using the Asus M52VA config, installed, changed settings to start with Windows and minimize to systray, and rebooted.

"Finally NBFC is out of beta!"

Download
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=6c34bd33ac55ce36&id=6C34BD33AC55CE36!1060&action=Share