cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel Devil's Canyon i7 4970K on Maximus VI Impact

blairsingh
Level 7
Hello

This is going to be my first build, I have already ordered the parts for the build and I noticed that the motherboard needs a BIOS update in order for the CPU to work.

How do I update the motherboard?

Thanks

-Blair
9 REPLIES 9

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
You have to have a current Gen CPU fitted. Then go to ASUS site for the board, click on support, click on Driver and Tools, Select OS and then click on BIOS utilities download and run BIOS updater tool

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
This of course if the board does not ship with BIOS 1504 already....

Should I update the motherboard with a USB without anything but the power to the motherboard?

Do I need another CPU for this or can it be done without one?

blairsingh wrote:
Do I need another CPU for this or can it be done without one?

After being directed to the guide Raja linked people continually ask this question. The first step of the guide states "while a non Devil's Canyon CPU is installed". How can this be reworded so that there is no doubt that USB BIOS Flashback cannot be used and the updated needs to be done with a non-refresh Haswell processor?

So if I buy a cheap a cheap processor to update the motherboard and replace it with the Devil's Canyon CPU would that work?

kkn
Level 14
if you have a pc store close to you , you can ask them if it is possible for them to help you flash it.
bether that then getting a new CPU.

Probably a better idea
Thanks!