cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JZ microstuttering ?

Tindrael
Level 7
Hi!
I owned an SLI system before, but I switched to the G750JZ to avoid the microstutter issue. However I experience small microstutter even on the G750JZ!

I used Bioshock infinite to compare Windows systems and on Windows 8.1 the game stops for 0.25 sec every 2 sec, but this does not happen under Windows 7.

However under Windows 7 when the FPS goes below 60 FPS, like 40 FPS, the game is noticeably stuttering, even thou Fraps shows 40 FPS.

Same thing with Metro Last Light, however I was able to make the stuttering less noticeably by increasing the Virtual memory to 8192 MB.

Batman Arkham City is smooth during gameplay because it is running on 60 FPS, but cut-scenes stutter.

In Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 the games seem to use the Intel GPU, but still, the in game cinematics just don't seem smooth enough.

Wolfenstein the New Order is good when it is running on 60 FPS, but when it drops below 50-60 FPS, it is noticeably not smooth enough.

I am using Intel driver 3621 and Nvidia driver 337.88.
(The screen is the Chi Mei)

Anyone else experience this ?
4 REPLIES 4

hmscott
Level 12
Tindrael wrote:
Hi!
I owned an SLI system before, but I switched to the G750JZ to avoid the microstutter issue. However I experience small microstutter even on the G750JZ!
I used Bioshock infinite to compare Windows systems and on Windows 8.1 the game stops for 0.25 sec every 2 sec, but this does not happen under Windows 7.
However under Windows 7 when the FPS goes below 60 FPS, like 40 FPS, the game is noticeably stuttering, even thou Fraps shows 40 FPS.
Same thing with Metro Last Light, however I was able to make the stuttering less noticeably by increasing the Virtual memory to 8192 MB.
Batman Arkham City is smooth during gameplay because it is running on 60 FPS, but cut-scenes stutter.
In Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 the games seem to use the Intel GPU, but still, the in game cinematics just don't seem smooth enough.
Wolfenstein the New Order is good when it is running on 60 FPS, but when it drops below 50-60 FPS, it is noticeably not smooth enough.
I am using Intel driver 3621 and Nvidia driver 337.88.
(The screen is the Chi Mei)
Anyone else experience this ?

Tindrael, you can completely disable pagefile and hiberfil.sys to regain lots of C partition space - you don't need either one.

Right click on Computer - set No Pagefile or set pagefile size to 0

In an admin shell: powercfg.exe /hibernate off

If you have loaded your games onto the HD, try uninstalling a problematic game, and installing on the SSD to test to see if that cures the stuttering.

If you haven't combined partitions, and your C partition is 128GB, you can delete the 2nd 128GB partition (after backing up the data) and combine the space.

Here is my 256GB RAID0 partitioning and 1TB partitioning as example - with the 512GB SSD as an example of the "before" combining partitioning.

If you want to load games on the HD, you will want to disable APM using quiethdd, enable each time you boot.

Put these config lines in the quiethdd.ini file

FirstRun = 0
AC_APM_Value = 255
DC_APM_Value = 255
AC_AAM_Value = 254
DC_AAM_Value = 254
AAMEnabled = 1
APMEnabled = 1

quiethdd download
https://sites.google.com/site/quiethdd/

That should get you most of the way there to stopping the stuttering, and to reduce lag / stuttering remaining (besides game bugs), you can use TCP Optimizer to tune network settings:

TCP Optimizer - Reduce lag, Increase throughput
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?45433-TCP-Optimizer-Reduce-lag-Increase-throughput&p=386351...

If you want you can move to the 340.43 BETA, which is working well for most people, but it has a problem with Asus GPU Tweak tool, so if you are doing GPU OC'ing you can use MSI Afterburner until the next Nvidia release that will hopefully fix the OC issues.

Can't OC GPU after updating nvidia geforce drivers to 340.43 (BETA)
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48452-Can-t-OC-GPU-after-updating-nvidia-geforce-drivers-to...

Tindrael
Level 7
Thanks!
I've updated the driver and disabled pagefile and it seems a little bit better.
Unfortunately, since there is no pagefile, Wolfenstein the New Order will not work anymore 😕

But overall, well worth to upgrade to the latest Beta driver, because I was getting 25-30 FPS and microstutter in Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 using the NVidia GPU (with Intel GPU 8-10 FPS), but with latest beta driver, I get 80-120 FPS in both games and no noticable microstutter (at least in game, with in-game cinematics, the FPS still can drop from 80 to 40 without any real reason).

I am on Windows 7, so the Asus GPU Tweak for laptops does not work because of the OS and I am not OC-ing with GPU Tweak for desktop cards.

Tindrael wrote:
Thanks!
Unfortunately, since there is no pagefile, Wolfenstein the New Order will not work anymore 😕

But overall, well worth to upgrade to the latest Beta driver, because I was getting 25-30 FPS and microstutter in Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 using the NVidia GPU (with Intel GPU 8-10 FPS), but with latest beta driver, I get 80-120 FPS in both games and no noticable microstutter (at least in game, with in-game cinematics, the FPS still can drop from 80 to 40 without any real reason).

I am on Windows 7, so the Asus GPU Tweak for laptops does not work because of the OS and I am not OC-ing with GPU Tweak for desktop cards.

Tindrael, kernel debugging / system dumps and some programs need a token amount of pagefile, start out at 200mb, and go up through 800mb, the smaller the better - if it starts getting large Windows will start using it causing unneeded disk IO in parallel with desired disk IO 🙂

MSI Afterburner + GPU-Z for monitoring can be used on Windows 7 for GPU OC, check out the link for OC'ing on 340.43

hmscott
Level 12
Tindrael wrote:
Thanks!

Tindrael, kernel debugging / system dumps and some programs need a token amount of pagefile, start out at 200mb, and go up through 800mb, the smaller the better - if it starts getting large Windows will start using it causing unneeded disk IO in parallel with desired disk IO 🙂

MSI Afterburner + GPU-Z for monitoring can be used on Windows 7 for GPU OC.