cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help updating BIOS of Z97A

1stcowgirl
Level 7
hi,
can anyone please help me with updating the bios?
is there a safe and easy way to update bios?
can someone write down the easiest way to update?
maybe write the exact steps i need to do in order to update bios?
any help would be apriciated.
thank you
ºi7-4790k, ºZ97-A, º4x4GB Ripjaws X 1600mhz, ºASUS GTX 780Ti OC [DC2OC] ºCorsair GS700, ºCM 690 IIIº LG E2241T ºWin 7 Ulti' SP1 x64
10 REPLIES 10

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi 1stcowgirl. Only update Bios for a good reason ie: more functionality or corrupted bios.

Best way is to use EZ flash 2.

Before you start , go to ASUS support and download latest Bios file. Z97-A BIOS 1205.
Whilst your there, get the Bios renamer tool from Bios Utilities.

Download these files to an empty Fat32 formatted USB stick.

Activate the renamer and it will convert the bios file to Z97A .CAP extension.(check it has done its job)

Insert USB and enter advanced mode of Bios.

Go to Tool menu and access EZ flash utility.

Press TAB to switch the drive field, using up and down arrow keys to find the latest Bios you downloaded.

TAB to folder info field. then choose the bios file.

When done, load optimized defaults in the EXIT menu.

Reboot when the process is done.

Up-dating Bios is not without risk, Do not shut down during bios flash.

Any probs, report back.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hope you repped MM - nice write up mate.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

deWiced
Level 7
Hello! I have the clock problems with the z97-A and will flash the bios.

What does "load optimized defaults in the EXIT menu" mean? So in EZ flash menu there's the option to set some kind of default settings that will take effect after reboot?

Thanks!
iced

HiVizMan
Level 40
After you flash your bios your system is at default settings. You do not have to change anything.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
After you flash your bios your system is at default settings. You do not have to change anything.

Thanks. Already did it and selected "load optimized defaults" for good measure. No idea if it changed anything but so far so good.

Furious1964
Level 7
Can I get some help please? I did all the the things to rename it, but the new bios is not showing up. My USB is listed.

Never mind, got it to work.

Greets:

I have a Z97-A arriving in a few days; just doing some research in the meantime. Is it necessary to flash the BIOS with the latest update,
or should I wait until/if a problem arises? I built an X99-A machine last year and it gave me problems until I flashed, kept losing my
boot order. Anyway, thanks for the advice....Mitch

Nate152
Hello ammck55, welcome to the ROG forum.

As you say it's not necessary to update the bios unless your having some sort of problem.

Thanks, Nate. I googled a bit more after posting here and found that the 4690K processor I have coming in will be supported by the BIOS on the z97-A board with no flash necessary. If so, I'm good to go with no flash. I called Asus support about this, and while they were cheerful and courteous, they didn't really answer any of my questions.

A big thanks to MeanMachine; yours is the absolute best description of flashing using the EZ Flash 2 utility. I have it bookmarked for future reference and have confidence in your work.

Thanks, guys....Mitch