cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Formula weird boot?

Filipo660
Level 7
Hello everyone,

I know this has been discussed a lot in the forums, but I just wanted to describe my problem before I would do any RMA's. My problem is, that my computer won't boot up, unless I reset the CMOS (sometimes I have to try it multiple times) or I slightly unplug the power cord from the PSU (not completely) and when I plug it back in, the computer boots up immediately. I have been using this build (all components were bought together) for about a year and a half and I have never had this problem before. Sometimes the computer boots up immediately, but it is really rare.

I have tried the following:
- replacing the CMOS battery
- booting with one RAM stick
- booting without the GPU being connected
- booting without the HDD/DVD drive/any other devices including the keyboard and mouse
- paper clip test of the PSU - the PSU was alright and that is why I consider the mobo to be the culprit here
- updating the BIOS

My system specs are:

CPU Intel Core i7 3770k
GPU Asus Nvidia GTX660
RAM Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 1600MHz
SSD (system) Samsung 840 PRO 256GB
MOBO Asus Maximus V Formula
PSU Corsair AX850
CPU cooler Corsair H100i

I just wanted to know if you guys have experienced this kind of behavior? :confused: Thank you in advance 🙂
2 REPLIES 2

HiVizMan
Level 40
My first thought is that the PSU is the cause. A paperclip test not with standing.

If at all possible could you borrow a PSU for a day or so to compare.

Failing that RMA your board and see how it goes.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Filipo660
Level 7
Sadly, I do not have any other PSU's, not even any old ones. I can't borrow any at the moment nad i don't know when I will be able to get my hands on one. This is my only desktop, so I can't try the PSU in any other computer. So should I RMA only the motherboard or both the PSU and the mobo?