cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Crashing Issue

dteske25
Level 8
I completed my very first build about 2 months ago. For the first two weeks or so, everything was running absolutely perfectly. After about those two weeks, my system began to crash and restart whenever I would try to run anything remotely graphic intensive, like games, photoshop, or any gpu benchmarker. I reported this issue to EVGA, figuring it was a graphic card issue. I RMA'ed it, and got the new card back this weekend. The issues are still there, and I'm stuck. I've updated to the latest NVidia drivers (337.88), I've updated the BIOS, even did a refresh of Windows 8.1. Don't believe it has anything to do with overheating. Does it every single time, without fail. Now I am turning here! Any ideas? I'm leaning towards the software side now, as to where the issue lies.

Specs:
Intel Core i7-4930K
Asus Rampage IV Black Motherboard
Crucial Ballstix 2x8gb
EVGA Geforce GTX 760 SC 2GB GDDR5
Corsair HX750 PSU
Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler
Phantom Full w/ 7 case fans
LG Blu-Ray Burner
Segate 2TB HD
Windows 8.1
15 REPLIES 15

RasmusEu
Level 7
Do you use Asus's AI Suite 3 software to modify any of your hardware?

dteske25
Level 8
I used it, but didn't modify anything, and I haven't reinstalled it since I refreshed Windows.
I also just got a BSOD for the very first time, error was whea_uncorrectable_error

RasmusEu
Level 7
I just fixed this issue, after hours and hours...

I also made a thread about this issue: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?49352-5-way-optimization-whea-uncorrectable-error&country=&...

You need to completely remove AI Suite 3 and avoid installing it again, until Asus have fixed this issue. You have to clear / reset the CMOS. Now, shut down your computer and turn off your PSU on the back, then unplug your PC and locate the CMOS on your motherboard. Mine is a little red button down on my Maximus VII Hero. Press it once and power on your computer again. This permanently fixed the whea_uncorrectable_error for me, and hopefully it will for you too.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Thank you RasmusEu I agree remove the AIsuite from your system for now.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

PersianBoyShaya
Level 7
When i build my pc the first time i did get the same error as you. But direct after the first startup.

Problem: i had EZ System tuining on ''performance''

Fix: Set EZ System Tuining on ''normal''

so i had a voltage problem, be sure to set BIOS settings to default.
Intel Core i5 4670K
Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II OC
8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
250GB Samsung 840 SSD
3TB 7200RPM Seagate storage HDD
Cooler Master TX3 EVO
Corsair CX750M
Asus Maximus VII Ranger Z97

Just wanted to report that I am still having this issue. BIOS is at factory default settings, AI Suite is not installed, CMOS has been reset.
I tried using Blender, which had caused it crash before, was able to render objects out, so that seems to be working again.
Tried running Borderlands 2, off of a fresh download and install, and computer restarted instantly after the opening credits. Trying to run games has been the most common place for it to happen. I will be testing Photoshop later tonight, as using a 3D layer caused the computer to restart as well.
Here's another weird situation: Before the card was sent in for RMA, I was also able to run Star Wars Battlefront II, even when nothing else was working. Now, the game crashes upon entering gameplay. I can still access menus and set up game modes, but when I try to begin, game crashes. Surprisingly, the computer does not restart in this instance, like it does for everything else. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I don't believe that AI Suite is where the issue lies, as it is completely uninstalled.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Have you removed all the left over bits and bobs from AIsuite?

What you could do is have a look in your OS event viewer log and see what caused the issue.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

dteske25
Level 8
I did a windows 8.1 refresh, which removed all programs, except for the windows store apps. Haven't reinstalled it. As far as I can tell, it is completely gone.

I will have a look at the event viewer log when I get home later tonight. Any ideas of what I am looking for in that?

HiVizMan
Level 40
You will see in your event log a list of things that caused the crash. If you have had a few crashes you may want to scroll down and see as many events that were recorded as is possible. There should be a common thread as to what is causing them. I had similar and it was a DirectX install that was faulty.