cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pc boots twice and 3rd time boots normally to windows ( only happens cold boot)

zaikoni
Level 8
so i just builded my new asus maximus vii ranger with i7 4790k i get this weard think only when i turn my psu off/on then press power button the pc start for 1-2seconds then it turns off and then it turns on for little bit longer 3-5 seconds and 3rd time it will post then boot up to windows.. so it only happens when i turn psu off and then on.. on warm boot (when im not turning psu off) it will boot up first try. Some people have said its just normal on toms hardware and overclock.net.. i want your guys though on this also. Its always same routine it does otherthan that it runs smooth no problems all temps are fine etc.

i7 4790k
asus maximus vii ranger
gtx 780
samsung 840 ssd
h80i liquid cooler
corsair dominator platinum 1886mhz
23 REPLIES 23

Nate152
Hello zaikoni, Welcome to the ROG forum.

It is normal for your pc to double boot when you switch off the psu power. Leave the psu power switch on after you shut down your pc to avoid the double boot.

Hey man! Thx for quick answer. Does this depend on what parts you have or does it happens on all asus maximus vii ranger motherboards? i really wanna know cuz it has never happend to me when i have used AMD motherboards? ive heard its more common with intel boards. i have to note that it happend one time also without tuning psu off and on but i leaved pc longer time its almost like there is time limit when it does it. i readed this somewhere

Not to be confused with Cycle sprinting.
Power cycling is the act of turning a piece of equipment, usually a computer, off and then on again. Reasons for power cycling include having an electronic device reinitialize its configuration or recover from an unresponsive state of its mission critical functionality, such as in a crash or hang situation. Power cycling can also be used to reset network activity inside a modem.
Power cycling can be done manually, usually using a switch on the device to be cycled; automatically, through some type of device, system, or network management monitoring and control; or by remote control; through a communication channel.
In the data center environment, remote control power cycling can usually be done through a power distribution unit, over TCP/IP. In the home environment, this can be done through home automation powerline communications, via IP protocols (wired or wireless), or by phone line.
Power cycling may damage hardware such as hard drives and is only performed as a last resort, when other attempts to get control of the system fail. Reset has an equal effect on the software but may be less problematic for the hardware as power is not interrupted, so it is usually tried first.

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/power-cycling-1#ixzz37S2oG1u5

Nate152
It happens with all maximus boards no matter the hardware. The system is training the memory and such is the reason it double boots.

is there away to turn it off?

i mean the power cyckle is it integrated to the motherboard or is it a feature in bios settings?

Nate152

Raja
Level 13
Zaikoni - you have been answered at Tom's Hardware, Overclock.net and ROG forums. The answer will be the same no matter how many forums you post the same question on over and over.

iam just little bit scared man since ive never countered somethink like this i have builded like 5 machines without somethink like this... ive put so much money on to this i just want to make it 100% sure this is normal behaviour and to add to this why isent it mentioned any where for example on manual or asus website that this is normal with the motherboard since i mean come on you wouldent expect somethink like this when u just turn psu off and on state.

Raja
Level 13
The answer is the same you got from me at Tom's and Benbenkr at Overclock.net.

It's fine - would stop worrying.