ROG Member Array

Question Please help me understand adaptive voltage

I'm accustomed to overclocking on SB-E, but I've got a new Maximus VII Gene with a 4690K, and I would like to switch to adaptive voltage (I hear lower voltage increases processor longevity).

I've got a stable (enough for me) overclock of 4.6 GHz at 1.29V in manual mode, but I'm having issues switching over to adaptive. I set my OC voltage to 1.05, with the offset voltage to 0.240 (1.05 + 0.24 = 1.29). Logically (in my mind) this means that when the processor is loaded, it should ramp up to 1.29V max. Is this logic incorrect? I've been keeping an eye on my VCore as I generally use my computer (normal program usage), and I see it consistently spike to 1.37V, normally hovering around 1.008V.

What am I missing or not understanding about adaptive voltage?

Along these same lines, why do synthetic tests on adaptive voltage pull more than you tell it? Does the test itself override whatever settings you've put in, and goes to town instead? I would really like to understand why there is extra voltage pull.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array chrisnyc75's Avatar

I think you're leaving out the effect LLC has on load voltage.

As for why synthetics often go over the designated offset max, I think it's because of the all-core Turbo effect on Asus boards. You can control this by drilling down in the CPU power settings sub-menu and setting additional Turbo voltage that will be pulled ONLY in the event of absolute max Turbo speed. In that scenario, it should never go over the amount you set basic + offset + Turbo
    Asus RIVBE • i7 4930K @ 4.7ghz • 8gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 CL8
    2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC • Creative X-Fi Titanium • 2x 840 SSD + 1TB Seagate Hybrid
    EVGA Supernova 1300W• Asus VG278H & nVidia 3d Vision
    Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/ custom watercooling:
    XSPC Raystorm (cpu & gpu), XSPC Photon 170, Swiftech D5 vario
    Alphacool Monsta 360mm +6x NB e-loop, XT45 360mm +6x Corsair SP120

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnyc75 View Post
    I think you're leaving out the effect LLC has on load voltage.
    LLC has zero effect on VCore in Haswell and Devil's Canyon CPUs, because the voltage regulation for the cores is on the CPU itself now. LLC only affects Vin (the voltage supplied to the CPU as a whole). Trust me, I checked extensively with a digital multimeter.

I will have a look for the additional turbo voltage setting, though.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array NemesisChild PC Specs
    NemesisChild PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus X Hero (WI-FI AC)
    ProcessorIntel i7 8700K
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTZR
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FE
    Graphics Card #2Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FE
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970 PRO 512GB NVMe M.2
    Storage #2WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X42
    CaseCooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
    Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech G703 Wireless
    Headset Logitech G Pro
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries
    OS Windows 10 Home x64 (UEFI)
    Network RouterLinksys WRT1900AC

Set it to 1.29v and leave the offset on auto, turbo voltage should now be in the 1.29-1.31v range under load.
    Intel i7 8700K@ 5.2GHz (Delidded)
    ASUS Maximus X Hero (Bios 1801)
    NZXT Kraken X42
    G.Skill TridentZ@ 4000MHz CL16 2x8GB
    SLI: 2x Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FE@ 2025/2025MHz
    Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVMe M.2
    Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
    Storage: WD Black 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 2TB
    EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced

ROG 師傅 Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 1920X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GVK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Phobya Bench...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic SS-1200XP3
    Keyboard Logitech G810 or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse G502 or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

Quote Originally Posted by Queek View Post
    Is this logic incorrect?
    I'm afraid it is incorrect yes. Offset is not straight maths. The CPU will take your offset and "dynamically" do it's own thing based on current, load, voltage temperature. You can't do straight maths.

If you set a manual voltage in BIOS you have to look what you get in CPUz under load. This is your key voltage. Bear in mind LLC as chrisnyc75 has said. If you leave this on auto varied LLC will be applied and you wont know what you are getting as a result of what. Set to MED for most OCing.

Armed with your CPUz reading set offset to try to arrive back at this voltage in CPUz under the same load type.

Any synthetic test with AVX instructions causes an override of up to 0.1v being added to your offset. Note "up to" because this too is variable.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Saknussemm View Post
    If you set a manual voltage in BIOS you have to look what you get in CPUz under load. This is your key voltage. Bear in mind LLC as chrisnyc75 has said. If you leave this on auto varied LLC will be applied and you wont know what you are getting as a result of what. Set to MED for most OCing.
    *snip*
    Any synthetic test with AVX instructions causes an override of up to 0.1v being added to your offset. Note "up to" because this too is variable.
    I am well aware of what LLC does to sandy bridge vcore levels (I did a pretty in-depth analysis of it's behaviour here and here). I did a similar test on this new motherboard and found that LLC only affects Vin, not Vcore. I set mine to 7/9 as it gave me the most stable, accurate Vin across the multiplier range I'm working in.

It strikes me as odd that AVX instructions result in voltage jumps. This seems like a silly thing to design for. I suppose the reasons for it are well beyond my comprehension.

NemesisChild solved my general usage voltage problem. I used an offset of 0 to accomplish an adaptive voltage that increases to 1.29V.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array jab383 PC Specs
    jab383 PC Specs
    Motherboard24/7 rig : Maximus VI Extreme
    Processori7 4790K
    Memory (part number)16GB Mushkin Redline 2400 10-12-12-28 + 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 10-12-12-31
    Graphics Card #1AMD Firepro W5000
    Sound CardM6E Supreme FX
    MonitorDell U2413
    Storage #1Kingston SH103S3240G SSD
    Storage #2Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB
    CPU CoolerCustom water loop, Delidded, Liquid Metal TIM
    CaseCoolerMaster HAF XM
    Power SupplyCorsair HX-750
    Keyboard Logitech G710+
    Mouse Logitech M705
    OS Windows 7 64 Pro

I think NemesisChild has it right. One other thing when OCing, I don't like to leave much at all to "Auto", so the alternative is to set offset to something tiny, but fixed so you know what it is. I use .001. Adaptive voltage goes really well with EIST - Speed Step - that varies the clock with core load. The combination of low volts and low clock cut power and heat as much as can be done. Do you have EIST enabled along with Turbo?

Adaptive voltage is easier on the CPU in normal, everyday, 24/7 use. That's what I'm running now. For anything that needs, really needs, the overclock, such as a serious game, benchmarking or the like, I switch to fully manual mode and set steady levels for all the clocks and voltages.

Jeff