cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this normal, sagging gpu on Rampage 4 black edition?

PFS38
Level 7
Hi check out this picture of my GPU, its sagging so bad that on my GTX 690 im getting a an increase of 10 degrees in temps on GPU1 according to AIDA 64. The temps are 33 and 43, as soon as i push the card up with my fingers the temps on gpu 1 drop to aroud 33 which is what i what on my old x58. I never had this problem on my old x58, can someone confirm for me if this board is faulty or what i can do to get rid of this problem?
Thanks.
17 REPLIES 17

Necrosan
Level 12
That a new case or the one you were using before?

I'd try finding a backplate for that card.
MB: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 (Cooled by Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12 fans)
RAM: 64GB G.SKILL RipjawsZ 1600 (10-10-10-30)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X Hybrid
TV Tuners: 2 * Hauppauge HVR-1800
Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos 2

PFS38
Level 7
Its a new case, i went from an Antec 1200 to a corsair 900D.
Is my motherboard faulty?
Will a backplate solve the issue?

Menthol
Level 14
A back plate may help, it is not your motherboard maybe shorten the water line on the top side would help lift up on the back outside of the card, it is a long card and there is no support, it has sagged and twisted some what unfortunately that is fairly common, a back plate helps strengthen the card but with the wait of the block it needs suppoerted

PFS38
Level 7
How do you know its not the motherboard? Will i get this problem with other graphics cards?

Nate152
Hello PFS38,

If they are liquid cooled without a back plate yes you will still have the sagging problem as the gpu water blocks are heavy. Here is what I would do for a quick and easy fix. I would get a brand new pencil and cut it to length to where the gpu is not sagging and put the eraser end against the gpu water block and prop it up.

It may not look the prettiest but at least you know your gpu isn't sagging anymore.

It is not the motherboard, you have one screw holding it by the bracket at one end and nothing at the other end that is why it is sagging.

Got a brand new pencil?

PFS38
Level 7
Thanks everyone good advice! I did fix it by a good bit though by routing the PCIE cables from the top and i used a cable tie from PCIE-24Pin power cable.

Temps have now dropped from 33-43 to 33-35, so its improved, i can live with that!

I think when i get a new card (800 series maxwell) i will do what you said put a backplate on and maybe shorten tubing by 1 cm or so. Here is another picture, bit better.

Nate152

Nate152 wrote:
That looks 100% better, Nice job ! And no pencil. 😄

This is sound advice. I hear women use a pencil test to gauge sag and need for support as well..

Raja@ASUS wrote:
This is sound advice. I hear women use a pencil test to gauge sag and need for support as well..

Have you been speaking to the wife again?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.