cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should i remove laptop battery when constantly using ac ? will this lower temp?

braxxx
Level 7
i saw some people posting in youtube that removing the battery while using ac will help with temperature issues, any thoughts guys?
5 REPLIES 5

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Well.. battery gets warm... remove the element and ambience is reduced. It's simple. But be prepared if your plug somehow falls out or your power gets cut.. Your unit is turning off and losing your data.

Personally I like to think keeping the battery in lets my charger not work so hard. Just a thing of mine, most likely not true.

Bear in mind the reduction will be quite negligible, as batteries mostly grow warm only during its charge cycle.

Maxter
Level 9
Once the battery is charged, you'll see no noticeable temperature change. Like your phone, the computer will demand less amperage from your charging block once the battery is full.

Wr3ckloose
Level 7
it says in the manual, to take out the battery if you plan on using ac power for ( i forget how long) this is not for temperature reasons but to save your battery from going bad.

Prostar_Compute
Level 9
braxxx wrote:
i saw some people posting in youtube that removing the battery while using ac will help with temperature issues, any thoughts guys?

Well, it does not help with an actual temperature issue. You might see a small drop, but nothing significant. If the laptop is peaking at temps that might be detrimental, then there is something else going on.

Taking the battery out and running on AC exclusively is fine. Just take note of what Darnassus said; if that power is cut, there's no fail safe without a charged, working battery inserted.

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

Thanks for the info guys! much appreciated! just trying to shave off some celsius in the temp. i will try to under volt but i'm a newbie at this. i will read more of the forum to get some ideas on how to under volt. my g750js is running 82c to 84c playing ac4 at ultra and furmark registered 88c during burn-in test.