cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JM Broadcom wireless issue

Raffai
Level 7
Hi guys,

my problem is with the Broadcom 802.11AC wifi. The machine ist just 2 months old, under this time I have tried everything, but can't find a solution:
It drops the connection on the notebook in every 5 min for 1-2sec. You can imagine how irritating can this be when I am talking on skype or try to play online... Pinging google is also deplorable.
I have started to stream the same online radio on the notebook and on a pc that has an usb-wifi adapter, and the drop was just on the asus + this pc on the same network has not skype problems. So it can't be the router or network. I travel a lot, so I have tried now at least 5 different network.

What I have already tried:

1) The router is configured home to fix 54Mbps (network type is G), signal strength is max.

2) Windows 8.1 is fully updated, BIOS (206) und WLAN Driver (6.30.223.228) are also up to date.

3) Hardwarereset (without battery the turn on button for 25-30 sec pushed).

4) Under power options/advanced options/wireless adapter settings are on max performance on battery and plugged in, too.

5) Devicemanager/Network/Broadcom 802.11 network adapter/Properties/power managent: Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power is unchecked.
Under devicemanager/Network/Broadcom 802.11 network adapter/Properties/Advanced WMM is deactivated.

6) In the command line are these started:
netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled

7) No solution on any forums.

😎 0-day image recovered, issue still there.

9) Acer has a newer driver: 6.30.223.234, helps not.

Do you have any other ideas, or should I send back the notebook in the sevice center?

Thanks,
Peter
18 REPLIES 18

hmscott
Level 12
Raffai wrote:
Hi guys,
my problem is with the Broadcom 802.11AC wifi. The machine ist just 2 months old, under this time I have tried everything, but can't find a solution:
It drops the connection on the notebook in every 5 min for 1-2sec. You can imagine how irritating can this be when I am talking on skype or try to play online... Pinging google is also deplorable.
I have started to stream the same online radio on the notebook and on a pc that has an usb-wifi adapter, and the drop was just on the asus + this pc on the same network has not skype problems. So it can't be the router or network. I travel a lot, so I have tried now at least 5 different network.

What I have already tried:

1) The router is configured home to fix 54Mbps (network type is G), signal strength is max.

2) Windows 8.1 is fully updated, BIOS (206) und WLAN Driver (6.30.223.228) are also up to date.

3) Hardwarereset (without battery the turn on button for 25-30 sec pushed).

4) Under power options/advanced options/wireless adapter settings are on max performance on battery and plugged in, too.

5) Devicemanager/Network/Broadcom 802.11 network adapter/Properties/power managent: Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power is unchecked.
Under devicemanager/Network/Broadcom 802.11 network adapter/Properties/Advanced WMM is deactivated.

6) In the command line are these started:
netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled

7) No solution on any forums.

😎 0-day image recovered, issue still there.

9) Acer has a newer driver: 6.30.223.234, helps not.

Do you have any other ideas, or should I send back the notebook in the service center?

Thanks,
Peter

Peter, you could try uninstalling Asus Power4Gear, as Maxter reported his Wifi connections improved:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48841-Question-about-Power4Gear-Hybrid&p=415746&viewfull=1#...

I normally recommend uninstalling Power4Gear for other reasons - it takes over my manually set / tuned power plans - and recommend running the Windows Balanced Power Plan for most of the time and High Performance power plan for benchmarking.

What is the router make/model and firmware version? Why limit to 54mbps? If you use WPA2/AES authentication you will get maximum speed connections over 54mbps.

I wouldn't RMA the G750 for a failure in connecting via Wifi to 1 router, I would replace the router.

I have used the same Broadcom 802.11ac Wifi card, in a JX, to connect to a Dlink DIR-615, DIR-655, Netgear WNDR-3700, Asus RT-AC66, and lots of client routers - all at high speed with reliable connections - the model Wifi card is very good in general.

I have also seen incompatible routers for just about every wifi card I have ever used - so you might have just gotten unlucky and your router isn't compatible - again, not a reason to reject the G750 / Wifi card.

Have you tested against other routers? How are Wifi connections made away from home?

Thanks,

power4gear is uninstalled and the skype quality is much better. Online gaming is still not the best, but it can depend on the network of the hotel, I will check it home again.
My home router is a WRT54GL with Tomato 1.28, that's why I 54Mbps use.
So once again thanks a lot, it is now more useful.

psy-q
Level 7
I'm having this same issue with my G750JW. It's driving me absolutely insane when I try and stream video. I've done pretty much everything Raffai tried as well as run every configuration on the network side I can come up with. Trying to diagnose this with a router, 2 access points, 3 managed switiches, IPTV, VoIP and a custom OpenMediaVault NAS/Media Server has almost broken me. Finally, I setup 3 laptops running he same video off the NAS to see if they'd fail in a semi-predictable way. Only the G750 failed.

I've narrowed it down to only my Asus RT-AC68U access point (Asus-Merlin firmware). I also use a couple of Asus RT-N66U as access points and they seem to work fine (both are running Tomato). I can pull 867Mbps without issue.

Killing P4G definitely helped my machine in general, but the WiFi is still badly unstable. I'm out of ideas.
ASUS ROG G750JW-DB71

WRT54GL v1.1.

In 9 hours can I test again skype with N network. I will sign up.

Raffai
Level 7
Well,

I am home now and talking Skype on the G network of the Linksys is still bad, the drop is in every 5 mins there.
But this Linksys is just an AP: the modem is connected with a cheap D-link DIR-600 that my ISP gave me, and to get a better signal quality in every room, the linksys is with an ethernet cable to the D-link connected.
As I talked on Skype secondly, I went in the living room and used the wifi of the D-link (72Mbps, 802.11n), so was everything fine. Really, no problem.
Tomorrow will I interchange the routers and hope the best. Simply have I also no ideas, why this is. And probably can I then use the wifi home, and anywhere else could be occur this issue again...

psy-q: do you have also this Broadcom type? I don't get that you wrote:
"I also use a couple of Asus RT-N66U as access points and they seem to work fine (both are running Tomato). I can pull 867Mbps without issue. Killing P4G definitely helped my machine in general, but the WiFi is still badly unstable."
First time was "work fine... without issue" and then "badly unstable".
Can you use the RT-N66U and do you have problem only with the RT-AC68U? Have you ever tried G network? In this case it seems, this chip works only with N networks flawlessly.

psy-q
Level 7
Sorry, I meant I always get a 867Mbps connection, but there is some level of instability in the stream. Mainly at 5Ghz.

My setup is pretty complicated. I'm using an RT-N66U (wifi disabled) as my primary router. It's connected to a Cisco SG300-10 that connects all the rooms in my house. One room has my RT-AC68U and another has a second RT-N66U. Both are in access point mode. WiFi interference in my area is pretty high at 2.4Ghz, so I use a couple APs to muscle out my neighbours for bandwidth. 5ghz is pretty much clear.
I have a TON of hardware connected to my network. It's got VLANs, VoIP, IPTV, etc. My network is nuts and the only device that has issues is the G750. Doubtful it's your router.

Both the RT-N66U (BCM5300) and RT-AC68U (BCM4360) use Broadcom chipsets, so it's hard to imagine this is a compatibility issue (but not impossible).

I do have a WRT54GL kicking around here somewhere that I could test with. What hardware revision are you using?
ASUS ROG G750JW-DB71

psy-q
Level 7
Turns out it's a WRT54G v3.1

Seems to work fine.
ASUS ROG G750JW-DB71

psy-q
Level 7
huh... I disabled WMM in my device settings and my issues seem to have gone away. Too soon to call it a fix, but give it a try.

I spotted it here and realized I hadn't tried it yet: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?34840-WLAN-(Broadcom-802.11ac)-won-t-connect&p=325534&viewf...
ASUS ROG G750JW-DB71

psy-q
Level 7
Weeeeird. WMM in Disabled mode seems to work fine. Maybe a driver issue, or something with the chipset? Could be related to interference or some combination of events that only a few of us experience. It certainly doesn't seem to affect everyone or the same set of network hardware.

Raffai, what is the setup of your router? Custom firmware? Do you have QoS turned on? Is WMM enabled under advanced wireless settings (option may or may not show in your firmware)?

WMM is more or less a QoS thing for Voice/Audio/Video over wireless, so obviously we should prefer it's enabled. I have a really fast connection @ 867Mbps, so I should be able to live without it. Not sure what everyone else will experience though.

This also might explain link rate issues in relation to WMM:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/30938-dont-mess-with-wmm

Here is a smallnetbuilder.com article on WMM:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/30833-does-wi-fi-multimedia-wmm-really-do-...

I'll research a little more. I've now gotten to the point were I can quickly cause and correct the issue, so I should be able to narrow it down to something specific.
ASUS ROG G750JW-DB71