cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help. Just finished building my system and I got big problems with it.

Robert_Fierce
Level 7
Almost every time my system starts it shows me CPU FAN ERROR. I don't know why. I checked BIOS and the fan speed is set on automatic and it runs at about 570 - 595 RPM and does not reach 600. (Obviously it's only loading the hardware and/or entering BIOS). And the Bios has only few options available (Fixed option 1-2-3-4-5-600 RPM, Automatic, Turbo or Manual). I have a Noctua NH D15 CPU COOLER and both the fans can run almost 3 times more than that so then what is the problem?

Another very important thing is the fact that I can't restart or reset the system! Doesn't matter if I use the MOBO's reset button, the case's restart button or even the BIOS's restart .. the Board shows code 00 and the PC runs just as usual, fans run just the same, everything is normal except for the black screen. Nothing happens after reset. And it stays like that until I manually turn off the PC from the power button. I don't understand?

I can't even install windows at the moment because that needs the PC to restart after loading the drivers. I'm stuck, I spent so much money on the parts and it won't work 😞

My build is:

Case: Cooler master Storm Stryker
CPU: Intel i7 4790k 4Ghz (but for some reason in BIOS shows boost is on and runs at 4.5 Ghz)
MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Formula
RAM: G-Skill Ripjaws Red 16GB quad set 4x4GB - 1866mhz - XMP ready - CAS9
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH D15
PSU: Corsair Series Modular RM 850W 80+ Gold Certified
SSD: 120 GB Samsung 6GB/s
Optical Drive: Asus Blu-Ray RW/R DVD RW/R CD RW/R All in one
Separate Fan Control: NZXT Sentry LX with temperature probes
2 Pulsating Neons: Red Devil
and
GPU Geforce GT640 (I know that sucks but it's the only component I didn't buy yet so I used the old one)

I just finished putting this system together. Did I do something wrong? I'm not a pro and This is the first time in 6 years when I build a PC by myself.

I would like to know why do I get the "CPU FAN ERROR" , why the fans themselves won't go above 600 RPM even though they are connected on the CPU FAN/ CPU OPT ports on the mobo and what's the problem there. And also please tell me why does this system not want to reset/restart no matter what option I use to do it.

To be more specific. Only the CPU cooler fans are plugged in the mobo, all others are plugged in the Separate Fan Control: NZXT Sentry LX with temperature probes. Could that be the problem?

Also, every time I turn on my PC it boots up for about 4-5 seconds then completely shuts down and then boots up all over again. I owned a PC for just about 20 years now and never saw that before. Could this be related to the NO RESTART/RESET issue?
20 REPLIES 20

kkn
Level 14
go in to bios and change fan RPM alarm down. ( you CAN dissable it but i would not do so. )
its in where you can choose fan "profile" or fan speed. ( dont remember since it been some time ago i did it )
if you dont know where it is you can see it in manual.

the fans is set to low as per temp on the cooler, the more load and heat on the cooler, the higher up they will go in speed.

Thanks a lot that did it and solved one of the problems. Both my Noctua fans are in the 4 pin slots on the motherboard and they are completely controlled by the motherboard. Does turning monitoring off in BIOS mean that they still run automatic? Or would they bottleneck my CPU by not cooling it enough?

And what can you tell me about this Start Up-shutdown- Start up and No reset/restart problem?

kkn
Level 14
the fans are PWM fans witch have 4 pins, that is so the motherboard will controll the fans depending on temps on CPU.
try and game a couple of hours and you will see it will crank up the sped on it, or a program that uses the CPU heavily.

did you tighten the screws in a X pattern when mounting the cooler? and follow the manual on how to do it?

Well Noctua NHd15 only has the backplate on which you can set 4 screws (2 for each bracket) and the actual cooler (heatsink +2 big fans) is mounted on those brackets through 2 screws. I did nothing but tighten them up with a star screwdriver. about just as much as I tightened everything else in the pc nothing less nothing more.

I would love to go test the fans through gaming for a couple of hours but that's not possible. I had that CPU fan error for hours but that's gone now with your help. However I still got the issue of "Start up 4-5 seconds normal booting -weird cut out sound and drop- then boot all the way to BIOS" and if that's not worrying enough. My system can't reset or restart no matter how I chose to do it. It simply displays a 00 code on the motherboard soon as I reset or hit reset button or ask BIOS to do it and then the screen goes black.

Being unable to reset the PC also means I can't install windows because that needs a restart after loading it's files. Been working on this machine for the past 16 hours. I am tired, dead beat, very sleepy and very sad. I simply don't know what's wrong with it.

There is no OC on this system. I even went to BIOS and tuned down my 1866 ram down to 1600 and my 4.5 ghz to 4.0 out of boost just to give it all the chances to start properly and it won't do it. I'm sure all the components I bought and installed are 100% good match and they should very much work with each other. I am out of ideas and in dire need of help

kkn
Level 14
go to bed and get some sleep, other ppl will post and help you as they can when they get online.
tired mean more errors can be made so bether to not be tired when doing things like this 🙂

Robert_Fierce
Level 7
Ok I changed the HDD, I changed the GPU, I changed the CPU COOLER, I tried it without a HDD, without the optical drive, without the fans I used earlier, I took out the temperature and fan control device, I even took out 3 memory sticks and only left one inside and changed the the dimm and the slot around, still same crap. Boots up for a few seconds then drops completely for a second or two and comes back to life only to enter the bios. No matter what happens after the bios restart the code 00 shows and a black screen is up while all parts in the system work perfectly except the motherboard shows a CPU red light on from that point onward. Same thing everytime.

I took everything out and I checked to see if any pins were damaged on the motherboard, they are all fine and intact. Nothing smells like burning, the CPU looks just fine..

I don't know what to do anymore ..

Robert_Fierce
Level 7
Look, after all the modifications I ended up in square one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQrbGKXcT44&feature=youtu.be

Still doesn't work. I think I will return this motherboard.

kkn
Level 14
wait and see if others post here too, the guru have not got online yet so i hope he comes on during the day today.

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Q-Code 00 after restart but booting fine once power is removed is often a PSU issue. Test using a different model power supply. Also check that any backplate used for the CPU cooler is not shorting the board as well as the board not shorting to the case. Checking that there are no bent CPU socket pins is also advised.