ROG Member Array

New G750JZ-DS1 Arrived, Very Excited... Except Battery Stuck at 79%

Hey everyone! New to the forum and to Asus and gaming laptops. I've never played a computer game on high graphics before, so i'm really excited for this laptop. I have some questions now that it's out of the box.

1. Fresh out of the box, the battery won't charge past 79%. I plugged it in for the first time and it started at 76%, hit 79% and won't go past it, even with the laptop off and charging. So should I bother trying to fix this or just ask ASUS to nicely send me a new battery? I'll poke around the bios later to see if there is a re-calibrate option, but i would hate it if the battery was defective and I found out too late.

2. I do a lot of photoshop, lightroom, graphic design and webdesign type stuff and I calibrate my displays with a Spyder 4 Pro. I was going to do the same on this but read the dual GPUs will be problematic for me if I calibrate the display. Anyone have their display calibrated?

3. Where are the speakers on this thing? I think they work, but I feel like the left side is louder than the right. It gets loud and it sounds freaking awesome but it is weird because the left and right don't seem even.

4. The blu-ray drive opens when i pick the laptop up and hold it in that area. Is this normal? I assume most people hold the left and right side of their laptops when they pick them up. I don't want it to always be opening when i carry it around.

5. I have a 20GB recovery partition. Does it have all the info I need to factory reset this laptop in the future? I keep reading about people using ASUS backtrack so they can do reformats. Do I need to use backtrack? If I want to re-partition these drives should I do a reformat now before I put anything on the laptop?

6. Are the two SSD's in RAID? I see two 120GB drives so I'm assuming they aren't. I was going to use one SSD for windows and all windows programs (photoshop, lightroom, etc) and use the other SSD for all games. Should I instead combine the SSD's into one?

7. The num lock won't stay on when i restart the laptop, this is incredibly upsetting as i use the number pad to login and for EVERYTHING. Is there a BIOS setting to keep it on?

8. Screen brightness changes, I assume this is normal on battery mode. On facebook it gets brighter (white background) but on this forum i can see it getting darker (black background). I literally see it slowly brightening itself up when i switch webpages. Normal?

9. Once windows logs in, everything has a blue color cast to it and then a few seconds later the color switches to "normal". My other windows 8 machine does not do this. Is this normal?

My friend was begging me to get an Alienware laptop. I know this can be the laptop I need it to be. Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by DuffmasterFresh; 07-16-2014 at 09:50 AM.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Darnassus PC Specs
    Darnassus PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VS -=-=- G750JX
    MotherboardASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G752VS (U3E1) -=-=- ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G750JX (SOCKET 0)
    Processori7 6700HQ @ 2.60GHz -=-=- i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz - 3.40GHz
    Memory (part number)2x16gb (M471A2K43BB1-CRC) -=-=- 2x8gb (HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB)
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1070 (8GB) -=-=- GTX 770M (3GB)
    Sound CardRealtek High Definition Audio / NVIDIA High Definition Audio
    MonitorGSync IPS 75HZ -=-=- Chi Mei 60Hz (Overclocked to 85Hz)
    Storage #1Samsung SSD 960 EVO 250GB x2 -=-=- LITEONIT LCS-256M6S
    Storage #2HGST HTS721010A9E630 -=-=- ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB
    CPU CoolerStock -=-=- Stock
    CaseStock -=-=- Stock
    Power SupplyStock -=-=- Stock
    Keyboard Stock -=-=- Stock
    Mouse Razer Naga Epic 1st Generation
    Headset SPH 2500
    Mouse Pad Razer Goliathus
    OS Winblows 10 Pro -=-=- Winblows 8.1 Pro
    Network RouterCG3000v2

Welcome to the Community. :3 <3

1: Just run the battery in then charge it with the unit off, see how it works out.

2: Dual GPU's? This is meant to come with one GTX 880M. ;x

3: Two speakers under the hinges of the screen, (the protruding block at the back above the fans). It might be because the subwoofer is on the left. You can tune it lower. I like 80%

4: The button is very sensitive, I usually carry mine by the rear block, or with two hands.

5: Yes. Back it up on a 16gb USB with backtracker just for safe keeping. It contains all drivers that're working on the machine in case you stuff up.

6: Depends if you have the SSD or the two mSata's, if you have the SSD, most likely it's in "raid 0" on one drive, which is redundant. You can merge the two volumes together via "Right Click My Computer > Manage > Disc Options" just delete the empty volume, then extend the volume which has your OS on it. Your recovery partition and UEFI (or whatever) for your OS Product Key will be safe.

7: Hold F2 during boot up. I'm sure there's a setting in BIOS to retain NumLock on bootup.

8: It's something that seems to go away. Update your GPU (Not to 340 yet, use 338) also toggle off Adaptive Brightness found in ( Battery icon > More power options > your active selection > more power options > Screen > Adaptive Brightness to OFF )

9: That is Asus Splendid Display ( an Asus program to change the fidelity of your screen colors to something more accurate. It's mostly a filter. You can change it's settings by doing a search (Windows + X OR charm bar)

Pff Gaylienware. ;d

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Darnassus View Post
    2: Dual GPU's? This is meant to come with one GTX 880M. ;x

lol, i think hes talking about the intel graphics and the gtx . i was confused on that one too.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by DuffmasterFresh View Post
    My friend was begging me to get an Alienware laptop. I know this can be the laptop I need it to be. Thanks for the help!
    alienware machine costs more and from what i last remember, you wont get the gtx 880 or the cooling system. depending on what model you get.

really though, if you have the money, get the alienware 18 with the duel graphics cards! lol

for the price and the cooling system, this is the best all around machine.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Darnassus PC Specs
    Darnassus PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VS -=-=- G750JX
    MotherboardASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G752VS (U3E1) -=-=- ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G750JX (SOCKET 0)
    Processori7 6700HQ @ 2.60GHz -=-=- i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz - 3.40GHz
    Memory (part number)2x16gb (M471A2K43BB1-CRC) -=-=- 2x8gb (HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB)
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1070 (8GB) -=-=- GTX 770M (3GB)
    Sound CardRealtek High Definition Audio / NVIDIA High Definition Audio
    MonitorGSync IPS 75HZ -=-=- Chi Mei 60Hz (Overclocked to 85Hz)
    Storage #1Samsung SSD 960 EVO 250GB x2 -=-=- LITEONIT LCS-256M6S
    Storage #2HGST HTS721010A9E630 -=-=- ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB
    CPU CoolerStock -=-=- Stock
    CaseStock -=-=- Stock
    Power SupplyStock -=-=- Stock
    Keyboard Stock -=-=- Stock
    Mouse Razer Naga Epic 1st Generation
    Headset SPH 2500
    Mouse Pad Razer Goliathus
    OS Winblows 10 Pro -=-=- Winblows 8.1 Pro
    Network RouterCG3000v2

Quote Originally Posted by Wr3ckloose View Post
    alienware machine costs more and from what i last remember, you wont get the gtx 880 or the cooling system. depending on what model you get.

really though, if you have the money, get the alienware 18 with the duel graphics cards! lol

for the price and the cooling system, this is the best all around machine.
    It's also easier on the wrist! :c

ROG Member Array

looked at a 18 at the shop... am I the only one thinking that they're pushing it calling that thing a laptop. It's massive!

ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

Quote Originally Posted by tru.kirby View Post
    looked at a 18 at the shop... am I the only one thinking that they're pushing it calling that thing a laptop. It's massive
    tru.kirby, ain't it pretty?

I had the Asus 18.4" W90Vp-A1, with Twin ATI 4870's, that was one sweet laptop

Asus W90Vp 18.4" Gaming Notebook
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbBby7Olr40

ASUS W90 (W90Vp-A1) Review
    http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/asus-w90.aspx

The Ultimate W90VP-A1 Review
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus...a1-review.html

I really hope that Asus makes another 18"+ laptop, as that size had a lot of physical space available to fit large cooling and still be quiet.

The current Alienware 18" build/construction isn't as nice as the W90VP-A1 was, it really was a fine Asus product.

I actually sold it for more than it cost me, those were in hot demand for a long time.
    Last edited by hmscott; 07-17-2014 at 01:24 PM.

ROG Member Array

I appreciate all of your responses! When looking at the Alienware machine, it was around the same price but had less RAM, a better intel CPU, not as efficient cooling, parts are swappable, lots of LEDs, and I think a better screen. It did have the GTX 880. The specs were better in some and worse than others. All around, seemed comparable.

1: Ran the battery down to 0%, plugged it in to charge for over 10 hours. It now displays as 80%, not 79%. I went into the BIOS and found nothing about battery calibration. I emailed ASUS and this is what they said:
    Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
    My name is Ellie and it is my pleasure to help you with your problem.
    For the problem, please turn off the laptop and charge the laptop for than 10 hours and then boot the laptop.
    If it doesn't work, I suggest you to contact the dealer for help first to get another new laptop.
    If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.
    Thank you for choosing ASUS products.
    2. Sorry, when I said dual GPUs I meant the intel graphics and the GTX 880. If I calibrate the display and the Intel HD graphics are on, when it switches to the GTX will it remain calibrated?

3. Thanks, I'll adjust the subwoofer and see how it works out. Still sounds great! I get more detailed sound out of this than my Logitech THX 5.1 surround sound system that cost nearly $300 7 years ago.

4. I always carry this with two hands, it is too expensive and heavy for me to do otherwise. I'll just carry it by the back block and front, instead of the sides.

5. I have installed programs on this computer. Will backtracker load the programs up as well? I would prefer that I have a clean install before I use backtracker unless it doesn't port over programs.

6. I have the two mSata drives and a 1TB HDD. I was curious if best practice was to keep the mSata as two drives or to RAID them together. I kinda like the idea of having windows and photoshop on one and all games on the other.

7. I could not find a "num lock on" boot setting in the bios. The bios seems really lacking of features.

8. Thanks, i'll change the adaptive brightness if it annoys me. Just wanted to make sure it was a feature and not a defect.

9. Thanks, the ASUS Splendid display will likely have to be disabled if I want to run Spyder 4 Calibration software I'm going to assume.

ROG Member Array

*Bump*

ROG Member Array

From a complete shutdown my laptop does one of two things: Either it starts up almost instantly... like but 2 or 3 seconds to the login screen or it takes a good 7-10. Both situations are from a complete shutdown, any idea why it does differs? Also, how do I unlock a more advanced bios? I can't find anything to keep num-lock and it blows my mind that anyone would want it off in the first place. Lastly, the laptop is silent most of the time but the fans seems to kick on and off like clockwork doing basic web browsing. If I read correctly from another thread, changing the sensor temp number for the fan up a few degrees will prevent this from happening? I would assume it should be whisper quiet during internet use.