cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New G750JS Enthusiast with some questions

osheamat
Level 7
Aloha everyone

I am a proud new owner of a G750JS , bought through amazon, no modifications. This is my first ASUS machine, I am coming over from a SAGER.

Few questions:

1.Browsing these forums I have seen notes about calibrating the screen, How?

2.Also on these forums, I have see notes about calibrating the audio. I found the audio wizard, is that it?

3. Is it a good idea to undo the partition on the SSD?

4. How do I use this GFX tweaking application, if at all, when playing games? Are there risks to selecting on?

5. Do the fans gain speed in relation to stress of the machine? Or do I have to turn on the GFX tool and put at full?

6. Before I did anything I updated windows and NVidia drivers. I noticed that ASUS has an updater app, it did not do much. I went on the support website for this model and saw many more files. What should I do?

7. Related to #6, how about updating the drivers for my other PC components?
5 REPLIES 5

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Welcome to the community. ;d ❤️

1: I use Splendid, others use NVidia settings or a calibration test program to set it the way they want it.

2: I believe so, yes, I use Multimedia setting

3: I did, yes. I unpartitioned the SSD, and sliced my second Partition on the HDD (500 / 500 = 1tb) into another half ( 500 / 250 / 250 = 1tb ) for on-unit SSD backups.

4: You can max the GPU clocks 135+, Boost Memory up to 5000-5200. Do not touch Voltage. (P.S. if you want a custom screen refresh rate, you must mirror your setting on GPU Tweak to GPU Settings by just making similar refresh settings)

5: Of course, test it for yourself, do a benchmark using our program Asus Benchmark

6: Asus installed stuff is rather junk, you can re-install Win8 if you really want and use your own stuff.

7: That's very fidgety, make sure you note down all versions you currently possess in case something flys the wrong direction. ( I myself do not dare update my BIOS from 208 to 209. )

Welcome. I got the JS too.

4. If you got the JS, then the GPU tweak is automatic. I there is a thread on here that is about trying to use the "better" version of GPU Tweak on the new 800 series models.

7. I haven't updated any of my drivers yet. I have had this laptop since release day and it is working just fine with the exception of Windows 8.1 specific "common crashes". Like Darnassus says, I also wouldn't try to update the BIOS either. Too many horror stories. Updating the integrated graphics driver will fix the problem with audio not coming out through HDMI (I believe that was the problem).

osheamat
Level 7
Extrapolating on 6 and 7, on the support website(for this model) there are tons of files for different programs or functions on this computer. Should I download them? Things like WLAN and such.

This is my first SSD, how should I treat it? I know that I should not defragment it, ever

osheamat wrote:
Extrapolating on 6 and 7, on the support website(for this model) there are tons of files for different programs or functions on this computer. Should I download them? Things like WLAN and such.

Well, that's of there is a new version. I haven't checked myself to see if there are any newer versions out.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
osheamat wrote:

This is my first SSD, how should I treat it? I know that I should not defragment it, ever

Don't let it get full. I try to leave 50gb free space. ( It's a little too much, but I want it to last me a good 5 years with certainty )