cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to find out what BIOS my Maximus VI Formula has without a CPU installed?

Robert_Fierce
Level 7
It's got Armor on and I don't want to take that off -.-
11 REPLIES 11

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Somewhere on the board will be a very thin white sticker with barcode on it...bottom left? the last 4 numbers should be the BIOS number the board shipped with.

Robert_Fierce
Level 7
Thanks 🙂

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Did you find it? 🙂

I did find it thank you kindly 🙂

Right now struggling with another problem. After finding my bios version number and flashing it to latest version and installing my new SSD I can't get get Windows to install on the SSD even though BIOS sees it just fine, my other pc tested it and it's working fine. All i get is a black screen right after windows loads it's drivers before going into setup mode.

It just stops soon after displaying the windows setup loading bar and the screen turns black. Waited multiple times for intervals betwen 5 and 15 minutes and it's frozen I guess. Even the Numlock led is frozen on my keyboard. Don't know what's wrong here. I posted about this in the general hardware and oc forum.

Also I noticed my CPU is running at 35 Clesius is that bad?
Could you give me some pointers?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
OK good stuff!

Err I mean about finding BIOS version...the problems not so much...

How did you update BIOS? With EZ flash? Maybe download fresh BIOS file and do things BIOS Flashback method (instructions should be in your manual) And make sure pendrive is clean

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46802-please-i-need-help-with-Rampage-Extreme-iv&p=398383&v...

Have you cleared CMOS after updating BIOS? When installing windows you choseing UEFI version of install device?

CPU temp doesn't sound bad but depends a bit on your ambient temperature...you in a warm place?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
OK good stuff!

Err I mean about finding BIOS version...the problems not so much...

How did you update BIOS? With EZ flash? Maybe download fresh BIOS file and do things BIOS Flashback method (instructions should be in your manual) And make sure pendrive is clean

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46802-please-i-need-help-with-Rampage-Extreme-iv&p=398383&v...

Have you cleared CMOS after updating BIOS? When installing windows you choseing UEFI version of install device?

CPU temp doesn't sound bad but depends a bit on your ambient temperature...you in a warm place?

UK Edinburgh here, and It was hot as hell last night. Was sweating doing nothing at all. The CPU was running at 35C.
I updated my BIOS in order for my mobo to get compatible with my new haswell DC CPU through ROG USB without any CPU on the mobo and with the latest BIOS downloaded from the asus website. I did not think a CMOS clear is needed afterwards.
When installing Windows I really can't get back into the setup any more, I can't get past the black screen which pops as soon as Windows finishes loading drivers to start a new fresh install.

I received a little bit of sad news in my other post. It appears my i7-4790k and Maximus Formula VI aren't compatible with Windows Vista anymore ..I didn't know Vista is out of the picture.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
There are many who say Vista wasn't compatible with anything when it was new 😉 but sorry about that!

Also I'm led to believe you need to update the BIOS on those boards with a Haswell CPU present and then upgrade to the Haswell Refresh?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
There are many who say Vista wasn't compatible with anything when it was new 😉 but sorry about that!

Also I'm led to believe you need to update the BIOS on those boards with a Haswell CPU present and then upgrade to the Haswell Refresh?

yes, OR you can do as praz posted in this post -> http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48855-Must-Do-s-for-making-4790K-work-with-Maximus-VI-Mothe... and see if that works, its a long shot but hope it works.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

Yeah props to Praz for figuring that out. It should be sticky-ed on top.

And thanks to kkn for pointing me to the right direction.

All three of you deserve REPU+ !!

Thanks guys

(On a second note, I will try to install win 8 soon as I get home and hope all of this problem was connected to Vista incompatibility).