cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JW won't boot.

Mulhollands
Level 7
Hi, as the title reads I've been having trouble with my G750JW booting up. I have no idea what the problem might be. The computer receives power, and the lights are all flashing, the only peculiar feature is that the drive activity indicator and the wireless indicator are blinking intermittently and in a clear pattern. Sort of like: 1..2......1..2.......1..2......, where 1 is the drive indicator and 2 the wireless indicator.

Previously the computer randomly turned on after a certain amount of time, 3-5 minutes after pushing the power button and a sharp sound came from the harddrive (which always happens at that point), if I was lucky (1 in a 30 chance I estimate) the computer would proceed to the boot screen. If the computer hasn't booted by that point, when the "sharp" sound comes from the hard drive, I know that it won't boot, no matter how long it's been on for.

Now, I guess my luck has ran out, as it won't boot anymore, after a few days of attempts.

I'd love to know what the pattern of the indicators could possibly mean, as there's no info on that in the troubleshooting manual.
13 REPLIES 13

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Did you:

Update Bios ?

Update Driver?

Try to fiddle with Bios?

Steal a cookie from the cookie jar?

Try take battery out and leave unit without power for a day, then try turn it on?

Remove CMOS Battery?

Drop the unit?

Install something suspicious?

Feel very hot air come out of the fans?

been met with a terrible fate?

Use the wrong power charger?

Use the compy in a humid area?

Attempt to upgrade the unit? (please specify)

Darnassus wrote:

Update Bios ?

No.
Darnassus wrote:

Update Driver?

No.
Darnassus wrote:

Try to fiddle with Bios?

No.
Darnassus wrote:

Steal a cookie from the cookie jar?

Perhaps.
Darnassus wrote:

Try take battery out and leave unit without power for a day, then try turn it on?

I haven't tried that, but I'll do so right now.
Darnassus wrote:

Remove CMOS Battery?

No.
Darnassus wrote:

Drop the unit?

No.
Darnassus wrote:

Install something suspicious?

No.
Darnassus wrote:

Feel very hot air come out of the fans?

No.
Darnassus wrote:

been met with a terrible fate?

No.
Darnassus wrote:

Use the wrong power charger?

No.
Darnassus wrote:

Use the compy in a humid area?

No.
Darnassus wrote:

Attempt to upgrade the unit? (please specify)

No.

I haven't done anything out of the ordinary. The computer works fine even with this issue (when it ocassionally turns on), I just can't shut it off, then the booting issue becomes a problem again. Thank god for sleep mode, however, this time I forgot to plug it in and it must've shut down during the night. And no, I haven't been travelling around with it in sleep mode.

There's no problem with heat, it's not slow, there's nothing out of the ordinary. It's performance is the same as the day I bought it.

Thanks for your help.

Mulhollands wrote:

I haven't done anything out of the ordinary. The computer works fine even with this issue (when it occasionally turns on), I just can't shut it off, then the booting issue becomes a problem again. Thank god for sleep mode, however, this time I forgot to plug it in and it must've shut down during the night. And no, I haven't been travelling around with it in sleep mode.

There's no problem with heat, it's not slow, there's nothing out of the ordinary. It's performance is the same as the day I bought it.

Thanks for your help.

Mulhollands, if you haven't updated drivers, this sounds like the Bluetooth driver bug that messed up boot/shutdown.

If you disable Bluetooth, and power off / power on, does the problem stop?

If that does/doesn't do it, try doing the Windows 8.0 updates, then download the latest Windows 8.1 drivers (they should install on Windows 8 too), and see if that fixes it.

Then try upgrading to Windows 8.1, and do all the Microsoft Windows 8.1 updates - and double check the driver versions to make sure the Windows 8.1 upgrade didn't downgrade some of the drivers you updated before the upgrade.

If it isn't any of those, it might be a hardware problem, and all that above has given you a good base to report in a Technical Inquiry to Asus for an RMA.

Here are the Windows 8.1 driver update links:

G750 support areas - The JM download area has the latest of all the G750, with JS/JZ next, the G750JW/JX/JH are out of date:
http://support.asus.com/Search.aspx?SLanguage=en&keyword=g750&ps=10&pn=1

Here is the latest Notebook Audio - for G750 => Realtek driver package Version V6.0.1.7235
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Audio&os=30

Here are the latest Notebook Bluetooth drivers
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Bluetooth&p=3&ft=27&os=30

Here are the latest Notebook WLAN drivers
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=WLAN&os=3

Here are the latest Notebook LAN drivers
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=589&m=LAN&os=&hashedid=n%2fa

Notebook Asus SmartGesture
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=ASUS+Smart+Gesture&hashedid=n%2fa

Notebook ATK Package
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=ATK%20Package&hashedid=n/a

Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards, currently at release 2.6.4.0 for the G750JW/JX/JH
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=9&m=ASUS%20GPU%20Tweak%20for%20Graphics%20cards...

Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops, currently at release v1.0.9 for the G750JS/JM/JZ
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=ASUS+GPU+Tweak+for+Laptops&hashedid=n%2fa

Here are the Asus posted VGA drivers, it's better to get the latest from Nvidia - currently 337.88, except for the JM/JS/JZ owners you probably want to keep using 332.60 to avoid random crashes - as reported by a lot of people. 340.43 BETA works on JW/JX/JH
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=VGA&p=3&s=111

Let us know how it works out 🙂

hmscott wrote:
Mulhollands, if you haven't updated drivers, this sounds like the Bluetooth driver bug that messed up boot/shutdown.

If you disable Bluetooth, and power off / power on, does the problem stop?

I'm currently trying what Darnassus recommended, "Try take battery out and leave unit without power for a day, then try turn it on", but what you're saying sounds very plausible. Hopefully I can boot it up and attempt to disable it.

hmscott wrote:
If that does/doesn't do it, try doing the Windows 8.0 updates, then download the latest Windows 8.1 drivers (they should install on Windows 8 too), and see if that fixes it.

Then try upgrading to Windows 8.1, and do all the Microsoft Windows 8.1 updates - and double check the driver versions to make sure the Windows 8.1 upgrade didn't downgrade some of the drivers you updated before the upgrade.

The computer is already upgraded to 8.1 with all of the available windows updates (even the optional ones) as of the 15th of July, and the driver versions I'll be sure to check once I manage to turn the computer on.

hmscott wrote:
If it isn't any of those, it might be a hardware problem, and all that above has given you a good base to report in a Technical Inquiry to Asus for an RMA.

Hopefully that won't be necessary 😛 I have a good feeling about the bluetooth thing. I'm quite sure I haven't ever updated the bluetooth drivers, since I don't even use bluetooth. If only I had bothered to turn it off.

Thank you for the links and the help!

Also, the pattern of the flashing lights are 2..1......2..1.......2..1......, where 1 is the drive indicator and 2 the wireless/bluetooth indicator, and not the other way around as I wrote in my original post. Which makes it even more plausible that it's the bluetooth acting up.

Mulhollands wrote:

The computer is already upgraded to 8.1 with all of the available windows updates (even the optional ones) as of the 15th of July, and the driver versions I'll be sure to check once I manage to turn the computer on.
Hopefully that won't be necessary 😛 I have a good feeling about the bluetooth thing. I'm quite sure I haven't ever updated the bluetooth drivers, since I don't even use bluetooth. If only I had bothered to turn it off.
Thank you for the links and the help!

Also, the pattern of the flashing lights are 2..1......2..1.......2..1......, where 1 is the drive indicator and 2 the wireless/bluetooth indicator, and not the other way around as I wrote in my original post. Which makes it even more plausible that it's the bluetooth acting up.

Mulhollands, the bluetooth bug was when using older BT drivers, downloaded from the JW download area, instead of the newer ones available in the JM/JS/JZ - or BT area listed above. What version driver are you running?

hmscott wrote:
Mulhollands, the bluetooth bug was when using older BT drivers, downloaded from the JW download area, instead of the newer ones available in the JM/JS/JZ - or BT area listed above. What version driver are you running?

I can't be sure if I ever updated the BT driver from the factory default, but if I did, I definately downloaded it from the JW area. That's where I got all of my driver updates from. I can't check what version yet. 5-6 hours left until the computer has been without a battery for 24 hours. I'll attempt to get it working again and I'll update you on that information later.

Mulhollands wrote:
I can't be sure if I ever updated the BT driver from the factory default, but if I did, I definately downloaded it from the JW area. That's where I got all of my driver updates from. I can't check what version yet. 5-6 hours left until the computer has been without a battery for 24 hours. I'll attempt to get it working again and I'll update you on that information later.

Mulhollands, you can check what driver you have in the Programs and Settings Control panel, then find the same named newer version drivers in the JM/JS/JZ or general/central repositories for drivers.

Asus has a tradition of not updating drivers for products once the new versions/models come out, so you need to figure out what new products use the same hardware components in your model and hunt down the latest version. Especially for Windows 8.1, bugs were/are still being fixed and improvements made, so the drivers in the JW/JX/JH areas that haven't been updated much since release are out of date.

Have fun 🙂

I just plugged the battery back in and I can confirm that leaving the computer powerless for 24 hours made no difference whatsoever. Also, after having thought about the driver thing, I doubt that's the problem seeing that the computer fails to boot even up to the point of drivers being loaded. There's nothing but a black screen, the power button, the power indicator and the number lock indicator glowing (as well as the battery charge indicator (dependent on if I have the power cord connected or not (as it should be)), and the drive indicator and wireless/bluetooth indicator flashing in the aforementioned pattern.

Connected USB devices do receive power (tried with a phone and a chill pad), so at least it still works as a pretty large phone charger. The fans are blowing at idle rates, the external temperature of the case and the air from the fans are at "idle"-temperatures. However, the other day when I left it on for 20 minutes, just to see if it would start by itself, the fans began spinning really fast and it got quite loud, but I'd say that the temperatures of the case and the air was the same, if not even a bit cooler due to the increased fan speed. I just turned it off and have been unable to replicate that behavior.

There's no sound coming from the mechanical harddrive (the only harddrive) to indicate that there's any activity. If there was, I'm sure the drive indicator would function normally.

I don't know if there's anything else I can do to troubleshoot, but if anyone got any ideas, I'd greatly appreciate it.

obsidianih
Level 7
Did you end up getting your machine to boot? Mine has just developed the exact same issue. Worst case for me is I am 6 weeks out of warranty.