cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU no signal afer "Anti-surge protection was triggered, system was shut down to prot

bulldogger
Level 7
I uninstalled my GPU and am able to get a get a signal from the HDMI out on the mob but my GPU is no longer detected by the monitor. The GPU is an R9 290x and my power supply is 550watts Seasonic so I assume it is too small to support the GPU.
I bought a larger 1200 watt power supply so I will eliminate that issue. Is there something I can reset on the mob to make the GPU work when I receive the new power supply or is it likely damaged?

I received the warning "Anti-surge protection was triggered, system was shut down to protect from unstable power supply," before this happened.
16 REPLIES 16

Nate152
Hello Bulldogger,

A 600 watt is the minimum psu for the 290x. Hard to say if it is damaged or not. Running a system that is under powered can cause damage to your hardware. Can you list your motherboard?

Hero VII, i7 4790k, 16gb of 2400Mhz Kingston ram., Plextor M6c mcie ssd, Seagate Platinum 550 watt PSU.

Nate152
Thank You, on the back of your pc on the I/O panel is the clear cmos button. It is a green lit button that has a green circular arrow on it. Power down your pc and hold that button in for a count of 3. Boot up your pc and go into the bios and see if your 290x is showing up there.

Ok. When I go into the bios, since the 290x is not working I am assuming I am still using the HDMI from the mother board?

Nate152
Connect the HDMI cable to your 290x. Do you get a picture on your screen?

Was your 290x showing in the bios?

I found the CMOS reset button. On this model it is a red button on the motherboard. I reset it and entered the bios and configured the bios. Also I saw that I could enable multi GPU support and power on both the iGPU and and the 290x. Still not working. The 290x does not show up in the bios. I also have a program, GPU-Z and only the Intel graphics 4600 shows there.

I do notice a yellow light flashing beneath the slot that the 290x is located. No error codes however.

Raja
Level 13
Rset CMOs again. Plug the HDMI cable into the 290X only. See if the board will POST.

bulldogger
Level 7
Reset CMOS, plugged HMDI only into 290x but would not post.

Raja
Level 13
1) What's the POST code being displayed?

2) Try the other PCIe slot.

3) Do you have a spare GPU you can try?

4) Can you try the 290X in another system?