cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Key stuck on keyboard

porky133
Level 7
I have a sticky W key on my keyboard. I can lift it back up with my fingernail, but next time I push on it, it sticks in down position. Laptop is less than one year old and I do play a lot of FPS's. Any suggestions before I attempt an RMA?
Intel 3960 CPU, 64GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram, ASUS RIVE Motherboard, ASUS GTX590, Seasonic 1200W PSU, GTX280 for physics, Corsair H100 cooling, 512GB Samsung 830SSD, Blueray reader, three 1000GB HDD's, Blackbird002EE case.
29 REPLIES 29

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Well.. yeah...... pull the key off ;d

You can do this easily by fitting your fingernail underneath the top side of the key ( Not the bottom )

As you pull, the key will 'snap' off. Then you move the key downwards and it'll unlatch.

Inspect the scissor clip (The clip that holds the key ) and try to give it a clean.

To put the key back on, slide the key on the bottom most of the scissor, then move it a little upwards (to latch it on), then snap it back down with a firm push downwards.

Good luck. ;3

Got the key off. Scissor clip looks fine. With the key off the little rubber nubbin that sticks up will stick in the down position if pressed. Any idea how to remove the entire key mechanism?
Intel 3960 CPU, 64GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram, ASUS RIVE Motherboard, ASUS GTX590, Seasonic 1200W PSU, GTX280 for physics, Corsair H100 cooling, 512GB Samsung 830SSD, Blueray reader, three 1000GB HDD's, Blackbird002EE case.

I have the g750jw. I also have this problem. On Mine its the w and a keys that are stuck down. After investigating it. It seems the rubber cups get worn and lose the ability to Rebound from being pushed down.

Don't have a solid solution yet other then using a wired keyboard for now.

Shame. Was such a nice laptop up till the keys started failing.

porky133
Level 7
Mine is less than a year old, only sees use on some weekends, totally unacceptable to have a failure of this nature on a gaming laptop. I've submitted a Tech Support request. Will see how that goes.

If I have to buy a new laptop it wouldn't be another Asus.

BirdOPrey5
Level 7
I have a G750JX and my problem just started with the "O" key. 😞

I'm confined to bed and this laptop is my life. I don't have the option of using an external keyboard.

The laptop is well less than a year old, purchased in October 2013.
-Joe D.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
You can purchase replacement faceplates or take it under warranty :'c

BirdOPrey5
Level 7
Are you aware of any installation video or instructions for replacing the keyboard on this model?
-Joe D.

I_am_obs
Level 7
Here is what I did about my W and A keys. *warning. There has to be a better way so I would advise against what I did.

I looked for 2 keys on my laptop that I never use. Ever.. Those happen to be the - and + keys on the number pad.

I popped the keys off from the top pulling them up. Have to be super careful as the bottom clips on the keys are more like little hooks and will break if you manhandle them.

Once I got the keys off I used a paper clip to pop the top sides of the key scissor off. Then I carefully used a slim nail file to get under the unabused rubber cap. Seems these things are glued ?.. I managed to get both off very much intact and no rips.I took off the weakened rubber cups from the A and W keys. I then placed the newish cups on my a and w keys.. Didn't glue them just carefully placed them. Then snapped the key back over them and to my surprise they both work great.

I honestly don't recommend this fix to anyone. Sometimes I just get frustrated with broken stuff and try anything to fix it.

The down side is I now have two keys on the number pad that don't work at all.

I also realize more keys are going to have the same problem as it seems to be a design flaw in the rubber cups used under the keyboard keys..

Just my dirty fix story I figured I would share.

I found an ebay auction selling keys with the rubber cup.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LAPTOP-KEYBOARD-KEYS-REPLACEMENT-ASUS-G750-G750JH-G750JM-G750JS-G750JW-G750J...

$14.95 seems a bit steep for a single key though when I see whole keyboards for other models going for $20.
-Joe D.